Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

I received an email from the guy saying that he had 10 people who wanted it and to call him fast and gave his number. My parents were here with my having dinner and kept telling me how turntables are such a hastle and that i should not mess with one. By the time i got his response about the stylus needle cartridge he said that it was sold. I may just hold off on the table for now. BTW my receiver does have a phono input.

Yeah, it goes like that sometimes. Good news about the Phono Input. One less thing to buy, if the time comes.

As mentioned before, keep your eyes open for Garage/Yard Sales. You'll stumble upon one before you know it, if that is what you want to do. No rush, there are plenty out there.

Dennie

• 2 weeks later...

So Fini, why no picture of your bottle cap?.... gonna be hard to beat that. Best I could do Friday night was a couple of LPs from the local Goodwill.

Survivor - Vital Signs - Scotti Brohters 1984

Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, Boots Randolph - Chet, Floyd, & Boots - RCA 1971

Trolling the Goodwill by the Castleton mall in Indy.

CD

Various artists - Christmas Favorites By The Original Artists

Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, The Drifters, Billy Vaughan, Rosemary Clooney, Pat Boone, Lou Monte, The Lttermen, Mahalia Jackspon. This one'll go to St Ruth.

LPS.

Boots Randolph - The Nashville Sound of Boots Randolph - Texize - What?

A promotional LP put out by Texize, purveyors of fine products we all know and love such as Fantastik and Janitor In A Drum

Still sealed in the shrink wrap.

Al Hirt - Al Hirt RCA 1970

The cover's kind of beat up but the vinyl is in very good condition.

Al Hirt - That Honey Horn Sound RCA 1965 Mono

Another with a kind of beat up cover but again the vinyl is in very good condition. They had a couple of more Al Hirt LPs but the vinyl was a bit beat up for my tast.

OK, not exactly a thrift store but the next best thing, Craiglist.

One pair of KG 3.2, one Academy Center, One Yamaha 5.1 HT receiver all for 95 bucks. 15 minutes from my domo.

To be fair, the finish on the 3.2s is a little rough (black satin) and there are a few minor scuffs on the Academy, but what's not to like???

OK, not exactly a thrift store but the next best thing, Craiglist.

Sort of a virtual garage sale. I think any find works in here. Thrift store, auction, whatever.

CD from the local Goodwill last night.

Divas Live '99

Divas Live

No cover front or back so I wasn't sure what I was getting.

They had a Wes Montgomery LP, California Dreaming, I think that the cover looked ok but the vinyl was kind of beat up and a couple of I don't think I'm going to subject my cartridge to those kind of scratches / gougues.

A couple of movie soundtrack CDs at a local sorority thrift store rasing money for improving hearing.

Runaway Bride

Runaway Bride

Waiting To Exhale

Waiting To Exhale

And an LP

Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums

Let There Be Drums

Sometimes these are the best finds of all!

From the Westfield (IN) Goodwill - had intended to stop at the Carmel Goodwill but the entrance we intended to use was closed due to construction.

LP

Larry Carlton - Friends

Friends

CDs

Various - Stars Of Christmas - This one most likely going to MIL

Stars Of Christmas

Various - Live At Newport - Could be interesting

Live At Newport

Special EFX - Slice of Life

Slice Of Life

Junior Wells - Everybody's Gettin' Some

Everybody's Gettin' Some

The Very Best Of Aretha Franklin The '60s - A Collection released by Rhino. Not sure I have a Rhino disc I don't like.

The Very Best Of Aretha Franklin The '60s

CD from the Goodwill near the Castleton Mall in Indianapolis where our youngest daughter and a friend were hanging out after shopping for a soccer referee shirt and shin guards.

Various - #1 Hits Of The '60s

#1 Hits Of The '60s

Looked like too much fun to pass up and was new in the shrink wrap.

"There she goes just a walkin' down the street ..."

• 2 weeks later...

No cool equipment or even bottle caps like Fini.... Gregg - you still owe us a picture of your bottle cap!

A CD and 3 LPs from the local Goodwill after work Thrusday

CD - John Elefante - Windows Of Heaven - I think I read a review or two years ago and thought it may be worth a try...

Windows Of Heaven

LPs - Seem to be more interesting to people than CDs so I really need to keep batteries charged and in a digital camera.

Midnight String Quartet with Harpsichor, Piano, and Rhythm - Spanish Rhapsodies For Young Lovers

• Our 20 year old daughter is getting married next June - thought this might be good to put on during dinner before the dance music starts as we may end up abusing our Heresies instead of hiring a DJ - then thought, maybe they really don't need musical encouragement, but then again, maybe the reception hall will clear out faster??....
  • mono

Outlaws - Hurry Soundown

Jimmy Smith - The Best Of Jimmy Smith - Verve V-8721

• No year. Double sleeve for one disc with notes. Inside has V/V6 - 8721 printed one mono, the other stereo? Mine just V-8721. May be mono?
  • Vinyl is very clean but cover not so great.
  • Disc labeled Disc Jockey Record NOT FOR SALE
  • Jimmy Smith - me thinks this may have made the stop worthwhile even if the rest were duds?

A bit bummed as the cashier at the Goodwill says she buys albums for the covers but they send the good ones like Pink Floyd, etc... to Indianapolis to auction on eBay. I find some pretty good stuff there but sounds like I'd probably really score some nice classic rock vinyl except they don't give the 'spensive stuff away. Oh well there's always garage sales and flea markets.

Picked up an LP and a few CDs at a flea market and a CD at a garage sale today.... maybe I'll get it posted tomorrow...

And an LP

Let There Be Drums

So Boxx. Are you saying the Sandy Nelson LP is worth having? Or the cover looks like it cold have potential anyway.

p.s. Congratulations on the Palladiums. I (almost) drool when I see your avatar or Right This Minute posts - OK I probably have drooled with some of those with the Palladiums in the background drop dead georgous and amazing sounding speakers. As are Klilpschorns and ...

And an LP

Let There Be Drums

So Boxx. Are you saying the Sandy Nelson LP is worth having? Or the cover looks like it cold have potential anyway.

p.s. Congratulations on the Palladiums. I (almost) drool when I see your avatar or Right This Minute posts - OK I probably have drooled with some of those with the Palladiums in the background drop dead georgous and amazing sounding speakers. As are Klilpschorns and ...

... The cover makes me think it has potential...you sometimes never really know unitl you spin the lp on your turntable. Thanks for the nice comments on the Palladiums. They are more than I could have ever expected them to be.

Ben, I've seen that LP around, but never picked it up. Until I looked him up on Wikipedia, I thought Sandy Nelson was a grappling hold used while wrestling on the beach. I was wrong!:

His first recording, with a band called The Renegades (
and

), was "Geronimo", written by Venet, produced by

and released on the Original Sound Records label. Although it flopped

on the national charts, it charted in some of the midwest markets. The

song, along with "Charge", is part of the

of 1959

Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow

released by

Nelson attended high school with
(who became

), and

After gaining respect as a
drummer, he played on such songs as "To Know Him

Is To Love Him" (
's
, 1958), "Alley-Oop" (
, 1960), and "A Thousand

Stars" (
, 1960).

His

"Teen Beat", on

, rose to #4 on the
chart in 1959. It sold over one million

copies, and was awarded a

Subsequently he signed with the

and pounded out two more

"Let There Be Drums", which went to #7 on the Billboard Hot 100, and

"Drums Are My Beat". All three were

(a feat rarely repeated).

playing on these hits was by

Richie Podolor (aka Richie Allen), later a

and

Near the end of 1963, Nelson was in a motorcycle accident. The

injuries necessitated amputation of his right foot and part of that leg.

Nonetheless, Nelson continued to record into the early 1970s, releasing

two or three albums a year, consisting of

of popular hits plus a few original compositions.

Nelson lives in
and

continues to experiment with
on
and

In September, 2008, Nelson and a few friends, recording as Sandy

Nelson and the Sin City Termites,

releasaed a new record of original compositions,
Nelsonized
, on

the independent Spinout label. Band members include Eddie Angel

(guitarist for Los Straitjackets, Neanderthals, Planet Rockers, etc.),

Remi Gits, and Billy Favata of Torturing Elvis.

Satuday from a drive by garage sale....

Various - Great Ladies of Jazz

Great Ladies Of Jazz

Not real familiar with most of these ladies though I've heard of them. If I don't think it's worth keeping I can always give it to St Ruth but suspect it to be a keeper.

Driving home from hitting a garage sale (that was really a flea market.....) we say a sign that says garage sale and was actually on a corner on the way home. Also got a kind of funky cactus salt and pepper shaker set for our oldest daughter's first apartment as she's hoping to move out soon.

Saturday before the drive by garage sale... from a local flea market (that had advertised as a garage sale). A quick look through the $3 CDs as the natives were getting restless. Also had some potentially nice looking guitars though I'd be more looking for good deals on speakers and amplifiers.

CDs

Chicago - 19

Chicagor 19

Jefferson Starship - Gold

Jefferson Starship Gold

gotta star out Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship collection somewhere ...

Jimmy Buffet - Banana Wind

Banana Wind

Makes me think of the beaches of Florida and probably Key West should I ever visit Key West

Robert Cray Band - Strong Persuasion

Strong Persuasion

The start of or Robert Cray collection. The inside of the back cover of this one kind of mildewed.... must've been submerged... but the CD looks fine.

LP (yep, just one for all of you black heroin addicts)

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - What Now My Love

What Now My Friend

I wasn't sure but thought maybe I already had this one. Yep but this one is mono the one I already have is stereo could be cool to compare. Blame it on MC - posted a Herb Alpert medly video on FaceBook and though I probabaly couldn't name any of the songs they all sounded familiar and good.

So who's the M in A&M?