Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

September - Did I really not get anything in July and August?

From the local Goodwill

Posted Image

The other LP is The Edgar Winter Group With Rick Deringer. The Barbra Streisand CD will probably go to St Ruth. Maybe the Christmas CD too depending on what's on it. Had some other potentials thereI think a Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer LP cover in better shape than these. But one had something else in it and the other the vinyl was trashed. T'ain't gonna let my stylus touch it kind of condtion.

Garage sale in a nearby small town ...

Posted Image

The Ozzy CDs are Alea's. They had a couple of others but these are the only ones she wanted.

Local Salvation Army and Goodwill

Posted Image

The Barbra most likey for St Ruth. Maybe all 3 from the Salvation Army but the Barbra has a Goodwill tag. Rush Chronicles is missing disc 2 (or disc 1?) but for 99 cents... and our Rush collection is very thin.

Half price day at the Westfield Goodwill 1/2 of $1.99 ...

Posted Image

Barbra Stiesand will probably go to St Ruth. The Mormon Tabernacle choir will go to Grandma Norma. Charlotte Church we'll probablly keep as I think her amazing voice will work very well on Christmas songs. I'm not sure I get Traffic but OB told me they'd grow on me so why not for a buck. Tori Amos has always sounded interesting in reviews so finally got one of her CDs. John Hiatt, Joe Jackson, and David Benoit I'm sure will be keepers.

(edit) Almost picked up a pretty nice looking foosball table for $35 but don't have anyplace to put it. Kind of wish we had as our oldest daughter and her fiance could probably find room for it. Had a desk in the back of the Grand Caravan that Dawn and Alea picked up for Alea's room earlier in the day at the Kokomo Goodwill so transporting would've meant another trip. They called and asked me if I wanted to go to the Westfield Goodwill as it was 1/2 off day. 1/2 off day worked out pretty well at the Lafayette Goodwill a while back. :)

October 1st Garage Sales.... must've stopped at 10 at least. Picked up a couple of nice beach chairs and beach umbrella, some golf clubs, a nice lightweight folding golf pull cart and a few other small cheap things.

Posted Image

Some movies. Old enough can probably rent them for $2 or less but don't have to take them back and we've already seen The Longest Yard more than once.

I think I already have Vince Guaraldi's A Charlie Brown Christmas - if so will probably go into the pass it on box. Nat King Cole for St Ruth. Shania Twain - I'm not much into country but this is more pop and she's put out a couple of songs I like. George Clinton - couldn't pass this up. The coverless CD is a Little Richard kids CD. Canned sounding rhythm tracks with Little Richard's hyperkinetic piano and vocals. Including a Little Richard version of "The Hokey Pokey". Shhhhh Alea and I have decided Elyse, who is getting married next June, won't hear nor know of this until her wedding reception. [:o] I hope nobody hurts themself.

It's probably a good think I don't search the LP bins too thoroughly.... hope I haven't missed anything really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday October 22nd from the local Goodwill. Hadn't been there in quite a while.

Posted Image

The Yanni discs are for my Mother In Law. I already have or did have the Phil Keaggy CD but don't think I've been able to find it since we mored here > 16 years ago. Paul Stout I Love My Life is by a native of Kokomo. Saw him live opening for Atlant Rhythm Section in the park this summer. Not much into country but he was pretty good. One of the songs about his good fiends kids getting killed in a care wreck, just around the corner from us and one was in our oldest daughter's class, The accident I think was around July 4th of 2003 just aound the corner from where we live when we got our 100 year rain (over 12" in some spots) that we missed and came home after it was pretty much over. Local artist Still sealed.

Saturday October 23rd from the local Psi Iota Xi thrifst store.

Posted Image

A potentially fun collection that was apparaently used by Delco (when there was a Delco) as a marketing tool to attact college students.

Sunday October 24th from the local Goodwill.

Posted Image

Some books.

Posted Image

and some books on photography. Alea is taking a home school photography class and these look useful. Look like they've barely if ever been used. There was a whole set of 14 but thought these 4 looked the most useful though a cuople of others may have been as well. Hated to break up the set but these should cover a lot of the basics.

Posted Image

CDs. I think we're keeping all of these. Rachel Rachel is contempory Christian group Steel Drum Island (out of Key West) sounds like fun by the name. INdianapolos Jazz ORchestra seesm workth taking a chance and title Cook The Books pretty much describes today's busennss environment for many companies. The Hoagy Carmichal CD has performances by manmy well known peole such as Ray Charles gining "Georgia On My Mind"

Posted Image

An interesting Tori Amos Cd that seems to inlcude all the xtras but no
CD but has a DVD of the of the osngs. That and the extras looked kind
offun.

Ben, you need to publish some tips or tricks on how to make these excellent finds!!! Yes

Gnat,

I was thinking the same for Old Mako and others who find good equipment and speakers. (Ok, my Tannoy SRM12B's might qualify).

Nothing special. Try to get to the local Goodwill at least once a week or so and the local Salvation Army which I don't make as often as it's not open as late as the Goodwill. I haven't been to the pawn shops here it town too much. One had a lot of CDs for $1 but very fiew worthwhile. Another had a lot fewer for $3 but more wothwhile. I also try to hit the Goodwills when we are out of town. Will be going to Indianapolis tomorrow. The Westfield and Carmel Goodwills are on the way. May be near the Castleton Goodwill by the Castleton mall so while Team SWMBO is malling I'm Goodwillin'. Thinking I need to find the Salvation Army store(s) in the Indianapolis area. And yard and garage sales can be very good. Sometimes $2. Often $1. At least one 50 cents and 25 cents. I always try to hit the thrift stores when we visit my father in law in Venice FL. (Goodwills, Salvation Army, (one of them had some NICE furniture.... maybe some nice Klipsch someday..Elephant's Trunk (local hospital), St Mark's (local church), Suncoast Humane Society, King Solomons Treasure flea market, etc) Stop at a sorority thrift store in town occasionally but only open 9-12 Fri and Sat. Still haven't made the local St Vincent DePaul Society. So I guess it's mostly persistance. Try, try, and try again. Found a few at the local Goodwill Friday for instance. Found more Sunday. Timing apparently is everything. Goodwill stores often have one color tag 1/2 off (very few CDs but a few) and even 1/2 off days. Quite a few that day. One of those I happened on the Tannoy's. Went with TEAM SWMBO to a clothing store, in Lafayette Indiana, bought a couple pair of pants. Went to the Goodwill, scored the Tannoys. A local pawn shop had just closed. Back to clothing storeand Team SWMBO was still shopping.

Scored a few nice CDs plus Led Zeppelin box set on Black Friday at a pawn shop where my mother in law lives along with a nice trombone for our daughter. (Really was Black Friday as longtime forum curmudgeon (not really) Old Buckster had passed away the night before and it was after returning that I read the news... and old posts including one where the Led Zeppelin box set was what convinced OB to dump his LPs for CDs... timing was kind of freaky. Almost missed the Zep box set but a lady working there pointed it out as she thought I might be intereseted......

Still haven't found the electronics deals some have found here. Or the $40 Cornwalls. Maybe eventually. Team SWMBO has even picked up a few (not as picky on LPS as me) or called me and even stopped at a garage, yard, and/or estate sale - claiming at least to looks for big old speakers. Now if I'd have just gotten my uncle who used to work for an auctionerr in Northern Indiana to be on the lookat. My brother did get me a box of vinyl pigeons a while back. Hopefully there will be something worthwihle but kind of nasty musty covers.... letting 'em air out a bit before I check thoroughly. From his girlriend's father's estate sell. Had an amplifier, tuner, and maybe receiver and turntable that sold for pretty good price so they may have been worthwhile. The LPs maybe be destined for target practice or mayb for Fini's LPs as shingles project.

Ok. So I guess my secret is persistance. Just maybe I'll get their the day they put out the stack of CDs the husband had set aside to keep but the wife thought was the ones to take to Goodwill.... or some nice electronics or speakers. Our local Goodwill charges too much for junk speakers and quite a bit for most used electronics.

Hopefully hit one or two Goodwills at least on our Indianapolis road trip tomorrow. Huntington Friday, and Hanover Saturday. I'll have to find address for their Goodwills, Salvation Army stores, or other thrift stores.

Ah, yes. Ben makes his good luck by getting out and hunting the "sweet finds" down.

Sitting at a family function we were discussing the extremely rare Pepsi clock I had scored earlier in the day at a yard sale. My brother stated "you are the one luckiest person". To which my father replied, "no, he gets out and makes the good luck". Touche' Pops!

Heh, I used to be better at it, but since my wife is an inch away from calling Hoarders to do an episode on me (I should do that, just to entertain the troops here), I've curtailed my bargain huntin'. Heck, I even donated 500 LPs a couple months ago in a wife-swap deal (hee hee) to make "room" for a second pair of Klipschorns. Hmm, actually, those Khorns were a very good deal...so maybe I haven't "lost it."

Ben's right: It's persistence that pays off. For me, I enjoy the hunt. I guess I really always wanted to be a treasure hunter (amazing that I've never owned or used a metal detector). I love to watch American Pickers, but I'm not into rust buckets like Mike and Frank. I wonder what those guys would do if they ran into a mint Thorens 124, or a pair of MC30s in someone's shed...