Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

I wonder what those guys would do if they ran into a mint Thorens 124, or a pair of MC30s in someone's shed...

Thanks Fini [:S]. I'm trying to lose the image in my head of what you mgiht do should you find a mint Throens 124 or a pair of MC30's in somesone's shed... [:o]

I must like hunting too Gregg. I hope we can we can go hunting together sometime as you seem to find some really cool stuff.

As usual, took a wrong turn to go to Fry's on our way home from Indianapolis yesterday and there was a Goodwill store so we had to stop. Drove by a Salvation Army store in Indianapolis (on Washington street (aka US 40?) east of the circle) as we didn't see it in time and thought we didn't have time to stop.

3 CDs. Almost got a Faith Hill CD with "This Kiss" but even though I do like that song do I lke it wiell enough? That and my wallet was pretty low on cash after lunch at Circle Center. Alea later said she loves that song so maybe I should've gotten it. Also thinking wedding reception material or not? Elyse better be getting together her song list as otherwise it'll be what I come up with (hee hee). (A good friend with real pro gear that can thump has volunteered to help keep entertainment on the cheap as long as we supply the music after I had commented we may just put some things togehter and abuse our Heresies....)

Anyway, from the Fishers (I think I-69 and 96th street, "Indianapolis" IN) Goodwill

Posted Image

Doubles our Robert Cray collection (that I can think of and the other CD sounds too noisy, like a bad LP pressing?). Had to have that one. SWMBO loves John Mellencamp but I thought maybe we already have The Lonesome Jubilee so that goes into the trade / pass on to a friend box unless SWMBO 2 wants it. Can't remember if she has a CD player other than a DVD player but no stereo to connect it to. I think she still has a CD boombox and could always play on her Macbook or rip to iTunes.

Local Goodwill 28 October 2010

Posted Image

The Inspirational Classics Old Rugged Cross for Dad's fiance. George Beverly Shea and the like and a Virgil Fox organ track. A bit too uh, traditional for me. The rest for us. I thought we might have dc Talk Jesus Freak but Alea says we don't and she's probably right as the cover doesn't look familiar.

I must be addicted to shopping for music on the cheap and the mythical $40 Cornwalls. Googled and printed off maps for thrift stores for where we'll be the next couple of days. Huntington, Hanover, and Greensburg Indiana. And Shelbyville Indiana which we'll drive by.

Only managed to stop at one Goodwill store, in Anderson Indiana as we were passing through.

A bust musicall but we did find St Ruth a puzzle sealed in the box.

Didn't get to any Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other thrift stores. Most were a bit out of the way and SWMBO 1 and 3 didn't want to detour too much. We did get to 2 or 3 antique malls / stores in Madison Indiana but nothing worthwhile. A few CDs. A few LPS. Some of the LPs were $1. Some were $5 - $8 but no better than the $1 ones. They used to have a used record store there but it had closed down.

Hope I didn't miss any $40 Cornwalls. .

@font-face {
font-family: "Times New Roman";
}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Today was a good day at the thrifts. At the first one I found two for a buck
a piece:

Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd – Jazz Samba

Sade – Diamond Life.

They are in at least very good condition. I haven’t played the Sade album yet but Jazz Samba needs a
cleaning but other than that played very well. The covers are in very good to near mint condition as well.

Then I went to the next thrift store and hit some pay dirt. I kept pulling record after record from
the stack. After I checked them
all out only three were scratched or warped so this is what I was left with. Most of them are in near mint condition
only two have slight surface scratches that shouldn’t effect playing. Some were even in plastic inner
sleeves. They are all first
pressings and also were a buck a piece.

Tom Waits – Small Change

Tom Waits – Foreign Affairs

Wings – London Town (with poster)

Little Feat – Waiting For Columbus

Little Feat – Down on the Farm

Little Feat – Dixie Chicken

Richard Thompson – Across a Crowded Room

The Pretenders – Pretenders

The Pretenders – Pretenders II

Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group Travels

Men at Work – Business As Usual (Sealed)

Bruce Cockburn – Human

Bruce Cockburn – Inner City Front

Ry Cooder – Borderline

Tom Rush - The
Circle Game

Joe Jackson – Night and Day

David Bromberg - David Bromberg

The English Beat – Special Beat Service

Ry Cooder – Into the Purple Valley

Darol Anger/ Barbara Highbie – Tideline

Joe Ely - Musta Notta Gotta Lotta

Marshall Crenshaw – Field Day

Marshall Crenshaw – Marshall Crenshaw

Dave Edmunds – Information

Michael Hedges – Watching My Life Go By

The GoGos – Vacation

John Prine – Common Sense

John Prine – John Prine

John Prine – Diamonds in the Rough

Leo Kottke – Chewing Pine

Leo Kottke – Ice Water

Hoyt Axton – Road Songs

David Grisman -
David Grisman’s Acoustic Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

Did some record hunting in the ozarks recently. 1$ ea [:P]

Very early afro cuban. Great record. Jack Costanza's first on one side and Andre and the Cuban All Stars on the other side.

IMG_3819.JPG

Double LP on Verve. Duke and Ella. This is very very very clean.

IMG_3824.JPG

This is my fave and very very clean. Two of the songs just blow me away. Anyway Mingus mono on impulse.

IMG_3825.JPG

This is the cleanest. Dead quiet not a hint of noise. Not my fave but it is ok. Impulse mono.

IMG_3826.JPG

I bought this for the cover. The music is boring but the vinyl is clean. It is going on the wall.

IMG_3823.JPG

I went through boxes and boxes of records. Lots of great stuff but most of the records scratched to hell. There were at least six mint looking Miles mono record covers but the records were shot. That would have been a super score at $1ea. I did leave some Nina Simone which I should have bought.

Did some record hunting in the ozarks recently. 1$ ea Stick out tongue

Very early afro cuban. Great record. Jack Costanza's first on one side and Andre and the Cuban All Stars on the other side.

IMG_3819.JPG

Double LP on Verve. Duke and Ella. This is very very very clean.

IMG_3824.JPG

This is my fave and very very clean. Two of the songs just blow me away. Anyway Mingus mono on impulse.

IMG_3825.JPG

This is the cleanest. Dead quiet not a hint of noise. Not my fave but it is ok. Impulse mono.

IMG_3826.JPG

I bought this for the cover. The music is boring but the vinyl is clean. It is going on the wall.

IMG_3823.JPG

I went through boxes and boxes of records. Lots of great stuff but most of the records scratched to hell. There were at least six mint looking Miles mono record covers but the records were shot. That would have been a super score at $1ea. I did leave some Nina Simone which I should have bought.

You did well... I love that Ames Brothers album....

I should have disclosed earlier that I know nothing about this set (value, rarity, collectability, etc...). I'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan, enjoy them, just not crazy about them like some (my gf).

Not sure of the pressing. How can I tell? There is a BC-13 on the side of the box, would that indicate a British pressing?

I'm not joking when I say I don't think the records have ever been played, they look immaculate, the sleeves look immaculate.

I did a quick ebay search on the "Blue Box", some of them are astronomical. Probably different (more rare) pressings than this one, but still. I think there is some value in this thing. Not that I'm looking to sell it, my old lady is obsessed with the Beatles and at the first mention of ebay (just for my research), I got a "well it doesn't matter, we're not selling them!" Ha!

I should have disclosed earlier that I know nothing about this set (value, rarity, collectability, etc...). I'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan, enjoy them, just not crazy about them like some (my gf).

Not sure of the pressing. How can I tell? There is a BC-13 on the side of the box, would that indicate a British pressing?

I'm not joking when I say I don't think the records have ever been played, they look immaculate, the sleeves look immaculate.

I did a quick ebay search on the "Blue Box", some of them are astronomical. Probably different (more rare) pressings than this one, but still. I think there is some value in this thing. Not that I'm looking to sell it, my old lady is obsessed with the Beatles and at the first mention of ebay (just for my research), I got a "well it doesn't matter, we're not selling them!" Ha!

Awesome score! Your girl friend's obsessed with the Beatles..... might be a good time to go pick up a nice pair of Cornwalls or other large Klipsch. Normally that might cost you a nice piece of shiny gemstone jewelry.

Missed the Goodwill out of town today. Left SWMBO and SWMBO 3 at the mall and went looking but couldn't find it. Found a couple of samplers, $5 for 3 discs total at the Christian bookstore that should be fun. The nice young lady behind the counter told me where the Goodwill there was. Got ther about 8:50 but they closed at 8. Our local Goodwill closes at 9:00. But now I know where it is for the next teim we're there. And also the stereo store there that used to sell Klipsch so I hope they still do. Next trip to that mall should be better.

Yeah, $50 would be hard to pay for a box 'o LPs but that box 'o LPs is quite likely worth a lot more. And it's quite possible most had never been played.

Three theories on why at the Goodwill. Ticked off wife / ex wiff hauled 'em in. Wife bought for husband who doesn't really like the Beatles and too them in. Or husband comes home and to his great horror his wife donated the LPs he had intended to keep. [:o] That's what I keep hoping to find. A couple of posts back somebody did find a lot of nice LPs.

We love picks of nice music, speakers, stereo equipment, and almost anything. Thanks for posting.

Still kind of bummed that Gregg (Fini) never did post a picture of his bottle cap.

Found myself in the parking lot of the local Salvation Army and Rescue Mission on the way home from taking our youngest dauighter to her home school yearbook meeting this afternoon....

Not trying to be creative. Didn't realize daughter's camera set o black and white.

From the Salvation Army. Buck each.

Posted Image

Oops had intended one post. I'm pretty sure I have A Winter's Solstice but can pass it on to St Ruth or Grandma Norma or someone else if I do.

CDs from the Rescue Mission

Posted Image

Not a lot that interested me at $2.49 each.

LPs from the Rescue Mission

Posted Image

Fame looks like it might not have been played. The vinyl looked very good on the others.

I'm sure we have the Amy Grant but there were 4 variations on the cover so maybe I should collect all 4?

And on sale today for 10 / $1. I'll have to go back and look through 'em more thoroughly. Also didn't realize they're open until 6 PM so I can actually stop in on the way home from work. On a good day. At a dime a pop there might at least be something worthwhile just for the covers if nothing else. I was expecting at least 25 cents each.

The Mariachi Brass featuring Chet Baker. Chet Baker sounds familiar? In any case the cover still mostly shrink wrapped.

The Village People vinyl in very good shape and so far our only copy of "Y.M.C.A" and we have a daughter getting married next June and to keep costs down were thinking of just doing the entertainment on the cheap... until a very good friend volunteered to help out if we put together the music. Still need to find "The Hokey Pokey" (the traditional, I have a Little Richard version (yes such a thing does exist) or "The Chicken Dance"

The Hit 45's Of The 70's collections each have at least a couple of songs I like that I don't think we have......

First post in this great thread... Found this gem at the North Canton, OH Goodwill today. Not the cheapest thrift store find, but pretty darn valuable...

That is a very NICE score Jrod. One of the girls at our local Goodwill once said any really good vinyl they get in they send to Goodwill in Indianapolis to auction off on eBay. :( But I still keep hoping....

First post in this great thread... Found this gem at the North Canton, OH Goodwill today. Not the cheapest thrift store find, but pretty darn valuable...

That is a very NICE score Jrod. One of the girls at our local Goodwill once said any really good vinyl they get in they send to Goodwill in Indianapolis to auction off on eBay. :( But I still keep hoping....

The local mission did have a couple of pairs of speakers that might be worthwhile...

An old pair of Pioneer with really bad grills the note said sound great (not these).

A pair of JBLs I think 2 way with dome tweeter but I didn't check real closely. If anyone's interested I'll try to get more info. Maybe I'll be interested if I look closer....

And a pair labeled Criterion. Never heard of them, but look something like this except with much smaller horn so must be a different model?

ttp://trinifieds.com/classifieds/wp-content/uploads/classipress/2-criterion-2003a-sp-1192454146.jpg

Mostly look to be a waste of time from AVS forum or AudioKarma and were Lafayette Radio house brand of speakers though one guy said at least one of the models of !0" woofers were worthwhile.... but better than what I usually find in speakers.