Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

2011-05-16_CarmelGoodwilll.jpg

testing is plug in and if lights turned on .... the top Yamaha does power up. Balance noisy and flaky in left channel. Probably a good de-oxidation will clean up. (made in Japan 6 ohm minimum 1 pair of speakers driven). Bottom Onky does not power up but seems better cared for. Heavier. Bigger power transformer 4 ohm minimum 1 par of speakers driven.Hopefully just a blown internal fuse. The Yamaha 24.99 plus tax (more near Indy to pay for Lucus oil stadium) the Onkyo 25.99 plus tax so ~ $56 including tax and 14 day return policy.

The Yamaha is an RX-300U.

Continuous power 33 watts 8 ohms

37 watts 6 ohms

Dynamic power 54 watts 8 ohms

63 watts 6 ohms

75 watts 4 ohms

The Onkyo is a TX-8211

Continuous power 50 watts 8 ohms

Dynamic Power 70 watts 8 ohms

105 watts 4 ohms

135 watts 2 ohms

• 1 month later...

Hit the local circuit today, though there are more I could've went to. Hit the Goodwill, The Salvation Arm, The Rescue Mission, and 2 pawn shops.

A pair of very nice, not quite minty, JBL 2500 speakers. A bit of frame under the grill cloth in one bottom corner showing on the other speaker and a few very small paint drops that will probably clean off the very nice oak vinyl. While a let down compared to the Heresies they're currently on top of and have been playing the radio through (very thin by comparison) they sound very good. Especially considering the low price I paid. Now if it had been comparable KG or Synergy at that priced I'd be even happier but these will probalby go in our youngest daughter's room, maybe the kitchen, or somewhere in our oldest daughter's house she and her fiance just moved into. Getting married Saturday (gulp). So can I then put the new son to work on my projects around the home?

2011-06-20_JBL2500_KokomoRescueMission.j

Not too bad an image at 1/10 a second or so, breath held, point and shoot braced against my not at all hard mid section. The oak vinyl woodgrain veneer looks pretty good for vinyl.

block_1.JPGNo audio stuff, but I did pick up a nice Japanese wood block print (in a cool, very Japanese frame), and a ca. 1942-53 California Highway Patrol Auxiliary wool jacket in excellent shape. Still in the process of researching them. Too lazy to flip...

post-3580-13819657745786_thumb.jpg

Hit the local circuit today, though there are more I could've went to. Hit the Goodwill, The Salvation Arm, The Rescue Mission, and 2 pawn shops.

A pair of very nice, not quite minty, JBL 2500 speakers. A bit of frame under the grill cloth in one bottom corner showing on the other speaker and a few very small paint drops that will probably clean off the very nice oak vinyl. While a let down compared to the Heresies they're currently on top of and have been playing the radio through (very thin by comparison) they sound very good. Especially considering the low price I paid. Now if it had been comparable KG or Synergy at that priced I'd be even happier but these will probalby go in our youngest daughter's room, maybe the kitchen, or somewhere in our oldest daughter's house she and her fiance just moved into. Getting married Saturday (gulp). So can I then put the new son to work on my projects around the home?

2011-06-20_JBL2500_KokomoRescueMission.j

Not too bad an image at 1/10 a second or so, breath held, point and shoot braced against my not at all hard mid section. The oak vinyl woodgrain veneer looks pretty good for vinyl.

It looks like a good find Ben.... Congratulations on the upcoming wedding....

Getting married Saturday (gulp).

Congrats are in order, I suppose...Big Smile

As to how to use the new son, might as well break him in quick. There is a honeymoon period for SinL's you know... Use it wisely.

Dave

Thanks for the nice thoughts. He's a good kid. Time to break him in and use that SinL's honeymoon period. Is there a manual? Thanks to Boxx too and Gregg for posting some cool stuff.

The Kokomo Rescue Mission was pretty good to me today. Some nice CDs with potential. Kind of "pricey" ($2.49 - I feel sooooo cheap) but every CD I've gotten at the Rescue Mission has been in very good shape. They claim they don't polish them but I'm not sor sure but haven't checked these.

2011-06-20_KokomoRescueMissionCDs.jpg

LPs is where they have the best deals. 25 cents. Yep 25 cents apiece. And often have 10 / $1.

2011-06-20_KokomoRescueMissionLPs1.jpg

Sorry for the poor images but I've got a lot to do with a wedding Saturday. [:o] I need to turn the chair around or just go pile 'em up outside. (Sure now that it's getting dark I think of that). The Haendel LPs are all SEALED. I'm assuming Haendel is an laternate spelling for Handel? The Water Music is in very good shape. I put back a few due to bad or potentially bad marks, scratches, blemishes, including a copy of 3 Dog Night's Golden Biscuits ... it was close but just too potentially dangerous and the cover was kind of beat up.

2011-06-20_KokomoRescueMissionLPs2.jpg

The Liszt, both copies, are sealed. Maybe I should offer it up here, or drawing in Right This Minute like Rick88 does every now and then. Ok. PM or email me if you're interested in the Liszt and if I have the LP mailer I think I'll do I'll draw a winner and send it to you. Reply before 11:59:59 PM June 25th. I'll have a SinL ready to begin training. But it may take me a while. I can always cut up some corrugated and tape up for shipment even if I don't have an LP mailer.

2011-06-20_KokomoRescueMissionLPs3.jpg

My brother probably has a copy of Barry Manilow Live in a box back home that I made him keep. A few in the box I think are mine. Most are his. I know he has a few Barry Manilow LPs and liked him a lot so maybe I'll play it for him. That said, I like some of his songs and saw him on the 2:00 AM Paradise Cafe tour. The LP is pretty good but more jazz type of songs featuring Gerry Mulligan lyrics by Johnny Mercer that Barry set to music with Mercer's widow's blessing. At least I think that was the story of the 2:00 AM Paradise Cafe LP. (I might have an extra copy of that one - but my daughter getting married got it for me along with a few other RM LPs when she had no money. She did pretty good so I may keep both copies for now)

The 2:00 AM Paradise Cafe sccop

Musicians: George Duvivier (Bass), Mundell Lowe
(Guitar), Barry Manilow (Piano), Shelly Manne (Drums), Bill Mays (Piano
and Rhodes), Gerry Mulligan (Baritone Sax)

This album was more than just another album for me. It served to remind me of why I had gotten into the music business.

The
title and the concept came to me in a dream. I always know I'm onto
something when I get ideas in dreams. These projects always go
smoothly. PARADISE CAFE was composed and recorded in less than two
months.

My dear writing colleagues and I finished composing
all the songs within weeks. It took no time for me to arrange the
entire album. And all the stellar musicians and singers agreed to join
me without hesitation.

Working with these legendary men and
women for an entire week was a thrill I will never forget. Hearing
them play and sing my music was one of the most profound gifts I have
ever received.

Out of all my albums, this is the one I'd like to be remembered for.

Barry Manilow (1996)

Johnny Mercer has done the lyric for quite a few Barry Manilow songs.

Interestingly enough, give all the pop hits Manilow wrote, "I Write The Songs" was written by somebody else.

I pretty much made the circuit in Kokomo disappointed that there were no garage or yard sales then remember it was Monday.

The Blue Diamond Trade Post always has a few I can't resist for various reasons.

2011-06-20_BlueDiamondTradePost.jpg

The Salvation Army once in a while has something good, this looks like fun. Quite a few LPs but most I'm interested in are too beat up. Now in Venice FL near my Rather Out Law I've found some really nice LPs at the Salvation Army.

2011-06-20_SalvationArmyKokomo.jpg

Kokomo's Goodwill often has a couple that are of interest. The Twila Paris for St Ruth. I may have a copy of the Geoff Moore, if so I know a couple of college friends, that are a couple, that would probably like it. And the Asia I only have on LP.

2011-06-20_GoodwillKokomo.jpg

And World Wide Jewelry And Pawn often has something I want. $1 each or 4 for $3. Found a nice Kenwood C-1 pre-amp after Christmas. Had the matching M-1 amplifier. Just found out today they take lawaway as just no spare cash before Christmas [:'(] and I'm in need of amplification. Only 1 without some sort of issue. Time to get to work on the repairs. lol

2011-06-20_WorldWideJewelryPawn.jpg

The Tori Amos is a short CD of maybe 5 songs that is part of a bigger package. But I like her other titles that I have so hard to go wrong for 75 cents. I saw Stephen Curtis Chapman, CCM artist, open for White Heart which a long time friend (since kindergarten) sang lead vocals for all but their first 2 or 3 albums. And the best of their 3 lead singers IMVHO but I might be biased. Anyway Stephen was a lot of fun then, but I think went more for the middle aged sound of "contemporary" Christian radio at the time so if too much that sound may be earmarked for Ron and Beth. I think they'd like it better than me. But I might like it a lot. But if not a lot it'll probably find it's way to them. Tuck & Patti I think I'll like from what I've read. And I like the Boney James I do have. I don't think I have this one but it does look a bit familiar....

They had a couple by Little Texas that I almost got but at 4 for $3 might of had to find a couple more.... but not sure if I'd like them or not. I think they're supposed to be good but don't reallly remember.

And yes, Boxx, those little JBLs sound pretty sweet. Kind of disappointing compared to the Heresies but for the price I paid it'd take Klipsch at close to that price to beat 'em.

No audio stuff, but I did pick up a nice Japanese wood block print (in a cool, very Japanese frame), and a ca. 1942-53 California Highway Patrol Auxiliary wool jacket in excellent shape. Still in the process of researching them. Too lazy to flip...

Maybe not audio but you do find some cool things. Audio and otherwise. You never did show us your bottle cap from a few months back. LOL. Maybe I should post a picture of a Blenheim bottle cap. But that wasn't from a thrift store. 30 bottles. About $1.75 from a "local" (Indianapolis) pizzeria but pretty much as good, and maybe better, than I can have shipped here and they sell quite a bit so don't have to worry about the UooPS or other shipping personnel dropping on our doorstep and breaking a few bottles.

That said, I think our former pool guy. We didn't / don't have a pool guy, just the guy we bought our above ground pool from along with installation, and most of our pool chemicals from but he started working as delivery driver for Fedex part time and now full time and has gotten out of the pool business. Probably didn't charge enough for the chemicals as he sold comparable and sometimes the same thing for no more and often less than the big mail order pool stores. Delivered. Maybe not real quick as his wife also works full time and he'd be busy at times so it'd take a few days sometimes and they'd get shipments in twice a week if not in stock. I think he did say he'll still replace liners but I forgot to ask him if he still sells pools and installs them as one of Alea's friend's families is thinking of getting one.

Didn't find this one by Dave? Must've updated it after 1st posting. I've done that... (like quoting myself "he'll" that I've removed in the 1st edit)

icon-quote.gif
blsamuel:
Getting married Saturday (gulp).

Okies, that's a subtle way in a rather unlikely thread to break that news to us. Congrats are in order.

As to how to use the new son, he's community property

Dave does have a point. No harm in sharing good news with my Forum friends. More like family than many of my family members.

Our daughter Elyse Rae, 21 is getting married to DJ (Darrel Hickman ... Jr) This Saturday 4:30 PM in Kokomo South Side Christian Church. Reception following at Booster Club of Kokomo)

Any and all of my Klipsch friends are free to stop in and have a beer or wine or food if you're in/near Kokomo.

Thanks for the congratulations.

Now Dave, where can I learn how to A. Break in the Son In Law? And how long do I have? As in how long does the Son In Law Honeymoon / Break In Period last?

And by community property, does that mean I can rent him out for projects? Or that you can borrow him for projects? He's not afraid of hard work so he might work for food and a tent to sleep under if you pay his travel expenses.... [:D] Or should I be sending him him for SinL training? Maybe to Mashall (Groomlakearea15 in Okeechobee)? [:o] Actually he's in very good shape so he might enjoy a couple of weeks of boot camp with Marshall.

We were getting a bit worried as he's not been finding work having lost his last job over an accident and stupidity. He was working as a contractor but who they contracted for decided to fire him and the idiot that t-boned him with his forklift. His boss really wanted to keep him but only have the one client and so his hands were tied. Kind of stupid. Higher up boss types visiting so they wanted to look in control. Now he's working for a farmer who's the grandfather of one of his friends. He loves it. No insurance. The pays not that good, but he enjoys hard work. And they allow him to go help his former high school football coach as quarterbacks and maybe something else coach. Pro-bono the year before last. They were going to pay him last year but with the funding cuts still for free. I hope they're at least paying him this year. He loves coaching even more.

Elyse has assited with her old high school team and even been girls JV soccer coach and middle school softball coach, with my wife as an assistant. And has helped with softball and girls soccer, helping with the goalies as she had no goalie coaching. Different coach, her former team did finally win sectional with Elyse as goalie coach. It might not have made a difference but their goalie play was much better than it would've been without her.

Anyway. Looks like I'm finishing the circuirt of Kokomo thrifts and pawn stores though there are more... and yard/garage sales starting tomorrow...

From the Helping Hands Usually not much in the past, and CDs that had been submerged but cleaned up and played fine...

2011-06-22_HelpingHands.jpg

I think we have a similar Billie Holliday collection, if not that one so for St Ruth. Bing we have on LP and I think gave a CD to St Ruth and/or Grandma Norma so maybe now we have on CD

And from the Nearly New consignment shop. Found 1 or 2 before so this fistful was a surprise though most for St Ruth

2011-06-22_NearlyNew.jpg

Reba for Father In Law Bob (St Ruth's husband though he lives in Venice FL, St Ruth in Greensburg IN). Reba is new in shrink warp. Hymns CD for Grandma Norma (Dad's fiancee / our stepmom for > 20 years except not legally / girls' Grandma Norma, even after Dad passed away in 1998) or maybe St Ruth. St Ruth suggested we be sure to see Norma (which means we probably won't see her as much) and take her music. She does at least have a boombox (wish I could afford one of the Cambridge SW table radios / CD player for her) and a few CDs with her and was thrilled with the one I took to her when we first visited in her new "home". We did get to take her out to the local Dairy Queen. She loves ice cream. And worked out very well as former neighbors of hers was there and she had a nice chat. We did get to see her on Father's Day but forgot to get permission to take her out so took her a root beer float.

Norma has recently been diagnosed with dementia / alzheimers and put in a nursing home. Her doctor said she should be pretty good for about a year and so far she is. Wedding seems out ot the question but I'll have to have my brother ask her daughter, who has POA, and make sure with doctor if ok, as it would be good for her if she could make the wedding, not to mention mean the world to Elyse. She had her daughter send her a check which meant a lot to Elyse, just that she thought of her and still can think of her. She is also very close with my mom's surviving brothers, yes my mom's borthers, and sister and brother in law, as Dad was as much their brother as mom their sister. She did say that there'd be no chance and I didn't want to put the idea in her head if not possible.... but the worst her daughter can say is no (sure I think of this 3 days before the wedding.... but maybe less time to think would be more likely to get permission? I'd even consider hiring a nurse to accompany her. One of the caretakers at the nursing home probably would for very little. Those people are angels. Norma still has it together but that could change overnight or hopefully she'll not lose too much more for the next year or so.

Where was I. Oh yes. The middle 6, except for Glenn Miller and The Air Force Band for St Ruth. I'm keeping the Glenn Miller, Alea our youngest daughter loves patriotic stuff and really wants to join the Coast Guard or even another branch of the service but given she has a hearing aid that's not possible unless they change the admission requirements. All have to be active ready and good hearing is part of that. That said, the military does have audiologists / speech therapists, and physical therapists which are the latest things she want's to go into. And many active duty who probalby have damaged their hearing thinking they didn't need the hearing protection firing mortars and the like. The National Guard on the other hand says they're requirments aren't near as strict so there may be a chance. Probably not requiring a hearing instrument.

And the bottom 3 I'm keeping for us. Not sure about the Harry James so could go to St Ruth but it could be the best of the lot. Rod Stewart and Tori Amos are both worth keeping.

I finally did find some Klipsch at the second World Wide Jewelry and Pawn location in town, Promedia 2.1 for $109.99 that looked to be in really good shape. Not a great deal though as have been on dale in town within last 2 years for $99.99 and retail for $149.99. Local Best Buy doesn't stock anymore at least not the last time I was there so direct may be the only option though I've not looked at the local HH Gregg for awhile. I just ordered new amplifier and bass/midrange drivers for the satellites for the ones in the garage I bought on eBay quite a long time ago (note to self: don't bid on eBay at 2 AM) that should be as good as new when the parts arrive

I pretty much hit everything in town excpet the garage / yard sales though I did stop at one yesterday.

Anyway CDs from the 2nd WWJP

2011-06-23_WWJP_Lincoln.jpg

St Vincent De Paul

2011-06-23_StVincentDePaul.jpg

LPs from Cash Loan Security pawn shop

2011-06-23_CashLoanSecurity.jpg

2011-06-23_CashLoanSecurityJL.jpg

The cover on the Juli London import is junk, kind of paper and thin. Kind of plastic wrapped paper. But the vinyl should clean up very nicely.

And some more CDS on a 2nd trip in same week to the Goodwill

2011-06-23_KokomoGoodwill.jpg

• 2 weeks later...