No Sound on my RIGHT SPEAKER with my iFi system!!

asd1783

Hello everyone, the system was working well and suddenly noticed that the right side (or right speaker) wasnt playing at all. This is what I have done as far as troubleshooting goes:

1. I have switched the Left speaker to the Right and vice versa. I still have no sound on the right side (or right speaker).

2. Switched the cables that connect to the subwoofer, still no sound from the right side.

3. Turned off and on the whole system, still no luck.

4. Checked for any loose connections and ended up with the same results.

I have no idea what the problem is. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with this? and if there is a DIY fix for this?

Thanks

good troubleshooting procedures so far... now,

5. Check the cable that comes from the dock into the back of the sub, pull it out an check for bent pins, and then plug it back in.

6. Remove the grills, with no music playing put your ear up to the speaker, right in the speaker, and listen for hiss... compare the amount of hiss from the left and right channel. You should have abou the same amount of hiss in both channels...

7. If you have the same amount of hiss it's time to check the source and the cable going to the music source, or try a difference source

8. If there's no hiss in the right channel but hiss in the left, try one more time and switch the speakers and wires. Even if the source or DIN cable is bad you should get a little bit of hiss in both channels.

9. If the DIN cable and source check out OK it time to move to the dock. If you have a cable which you can plug into the line input on the back of the sub and the headphone jack of an iPod that would be good. This input bypasses the dock completely. If this doesn't work (assuming your souce is good) then the amplifier channel is bad. If it works out, then you've got either a bad dock or a bad connection between dock and sub.

10. next try the AUX input on the dock... this bypasses the iPod dock connection if this works out you've either got a bad connection on the dock or on the iPod, and you should try a different iPod dock to make sure the iPod is OK.

These were my outcomes for steps 5 through 9:

Step 5: All pins were good (no bent pins). Plugged it back in and same outcome.

Step 6: Removed the grills off the speakers. The hissing was about the same for both channels.

Step 7: Tried different source and different cable, same outcome.

Step 8: Skipped

Step 9: I connected my iPod with the cable directly to the sub bypassing the iPod dock and still ended up with no sound on my right speaker.

So I am now assuming that my Amplifier channel is bad. Now the big question is, is there any way to fix this? Thanks for your help so far Andy, really appreciate it.

Ok. I tried a CD player as my source, still the same problem.
Right now, the problem is narrowed down to the back panel of the sub-woofer where the DIN connections are. We have ruled out the DIN cables, the satellite speakers (both speakers have been tested), iPod dock, and audio source as possible culprits.
Just to be sure and clear, the DIN cables are the cables running from the back of the satellite speakers to the back of the sub-woofer...correct? If not, then those are the cables I am referring to.
Thanks for the help so far.

It appears that the problem is in the preamp/amplifier chain somewhere (all of it is on the amplifier panel, and you have done all the troublshooting that is possible at this point).

The DIN cable is the one that goes to the dock.

Have you contacted customer service?

• 2 months later...

I have exactly the same problem. Right channel and from reading the response I guess it can't be a fuse. I'll listen for the hiss and do the last couple things that were suggested but its bizarre that its the right hand side also. BTW earlier today listening to my computer playing through the AUX I got some static in the rh hand speaker. I use the system both for an iPod and also for my PC.

Thanks for any response.

I still havent been able to fix my speakers and went to buy myself another set of speakers. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the speakers.

But I still have my speakers somewhere in the closet.

Any luck fixing your set of iFi speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the other day I noticed that I would occasionally here a pop or some static in the right hand channel. Soooooo when I got home from work I just decided to turn it up full volume. Suddenly great sound! What appears to happen is that at high volume all works well. If I lower vol to something I can live with the right channel will work for a while then just disappear.

Thoughts?

• 7 months later...

Had the same issue with my IFI so I took the plunge and took the electronics module out of the sub. I may have located the problem, not sure yet, waiting on the replacement part. There are several decent size capacitors most of which are 4700uf 35v and just 1 that is a 4700uf 25v. It was the single 25v cap that is leaking from the top which typically indicates it is blown. I am hoping that this is causing my channel to be dead at low volume plus the low sub output.

Please, let us know how it all goes. I still have my speakers stored somewhere. If you can, take some pics so we can all take a look at your work. It would help a ton if it does work out. Thanks for taking the plunge and taking a look at the insides of the speakers.

Good luck.

You can email me also asd1783@gmail.com

• 8 months later...