TURNTABLE HELP!

schwock5

I just got my turntable back from the shop.

It's an old Marantz 6300.

They put in a new cartridge, aligned everything and made sure it works.

I plugged it into my denon 4308 phono and the grounding wire.

It plays beautifully, but then after 8 seconds it stops.

I can still hear the sound from the needle, but there's nothing form my speakers for 4 seconds.

Then it goes back to normal.

It cycles like this continually, volume through the speakers, then off, then on , then off, all the while i can hear it through the needle.

I've tried different records, so it's not that.

I've tried with the grounding wire connected and disconnected, same result.

I thought maybe my separate amp for 2 channel wasn't getting enough of a signal so it was going into standby (sort of like a subwoofer), so i upped the volume and put my receiver on 7 channel stereo (the other speakers are all connected directly to the receiver) and sound cuts out on all of them at the same time.

Another note, when i first turn everything on, it works for a longer period of time, say 20-30 seconds, then starts the 4 second interval thing. If i leave everything on, then start playing a record, it will do the 4 second thing with no extended good long playing time.

It is not skipping, it's playing normally, just sound is cutting out to my speakers intermittently.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Try with another amp...try another turntable....try another input (aux) .....check connects...make sure rca's look amp OK with CD,etc.?!

Can't assume something jarred, loosened, while in transit, but quite possible, or highly likely... so troubleshoot logically!

OK! You may discover problem(obvious) while slowly proceeding with focus! Let know

When have the option, try different rca cable! Have you used this ouput before with no problem...use another one...etc. May come back to being input connect inside amp....etc.

Check the wire connect on the cartidge......To totally eliminate something at your studio take turntable to a friends to verify......call your Marantz repair people.

I wouldn't recommend love-tapping but sometimes just another studio, physical carry may show something.

Not doubting your findings....just continuing verification.

Please keep informed!

With some Technics turntables, there's a muting feature that only turns the sound on a second or so after the needle is lowered into the groove, so you don't hear the needle drop. If the cueing arm is set to the wrong height, it's posssible to get no sound at all.

Could it be that your turntable has a feature like that and that it's misadjusted? Did you call the shop that did the work?

When you put new cartridge in you did balance and set tracking force again ?

Didn't they test it at the shop before you brought it home ?

You know, maybe things aren't just right with that TT!

Just got an idea for a thread: "What would it take to get you back into vinyl"!

I brought it back to the shop today.

They were the ones who installed the cardtridge, aligned everything, set the balances and weights, and everything else.

He hooked it up, put in Purple Rain, and for the whole side of the record, it played and worked and sounded great.

NONE of the issues I had at home.

So, not the turntable.

The tech said it could be that the Denon reciever is going into protect mode due to a bad connection back there, or because sometimes with turntables there's a very small frequency or reverb output that puts a huge strain on amps so I should try and hook it up far from my speakers.

Well, my cords aren't long enough, i rechecked my connections, they look ok i guess. I have banana plugs and spades on everything, and they look like they're ok.

I'm thinking maybe there's just something wrong with my denon phono imput and the protection mode circuit.

Any ideas?

With some Technics turntables, there's a muting feature that only turns the sound on a second or so after the needle is lowered into the groove, so you don't hear the needle drop. If the cueing arm is set to the wrong height, it's posssible to get no sound at all.

Could it be that your turntable has a feature like that and that it's misadjusted? Did you call the shop that did the work?

the tech mentioned this feature, but said that muting thing wouldn't engage and disengage itself while playing at even intervels, and since it worked at the shop, it's definately my Denon. just now sure why, or how, or how to fix it.

I think the only thing to do now is disconnect everything from the reciever except the turntable and my front speakers directly in and see if it works, then slowly reconnect everything.

But all my gear is in a corner, and heavy, and this going to be a full day project.

Sheesh.

First, have you even verified that the receiver is equipped with a phono pre?

Have you contacted the manufacturer &/or an autorized service center to ask their opinion?

You might also inquire with the TT manufacturer to find out if any signal is sent to the receiver from the TT that might contribute to the event.

I know it would take some of the fun out of running about guessing, but you might start by finding out if the receiver is even equipped to properly handle the input.

If the TT plays on another system that is set up to handle a phono input, and you didn't have the problem with other equipment - albeit without the input being used, it probably has nothing to do with the TT or the other inputs!

My reciever does have a phono pre-amp for the phono input which I am using.

I tried using a different input, and the sound is almost inaudible (since there is no pre on that input), and I can still hear the speakers cut out in the same way.

I have ocntacted denon and they said they would get back to me tomorrow.

Since the turntable worked beautifully at the shop when I brought it back, it canno tbe the turntable, it is my reciever, or a faulty connection, or my seperate amp causing some sort of problem.

Again, this is only using the turntable, every other device works perfectly, even at loud volumes.

I'm going to try tonight just disconnecting my front 2 channel amp, it's an old 1980s luxman m-117.

The tech said these amps have a problem in the outboard state causing distortion too, and since it's current driven instead of voltage driven, who knows, maybe that's the culprit.

Kudos for contacting Denon! Isolating the Luxman is correct troubleshooting procedure! I asked before if you had your Denon manual, which while not neccessarily going to the root of your problem, would give you greater insight into your unit's capabilities.

*BTW, have you gone into the menu to check configurations, hooked up to a monitor right? I would do that 1st and then the Luxman disconnect!

I have checked all settings on the display for my phonoo input, like i siad, everything else has always worked beautifully, and still does.

it's just the turntable.

i went through the manual last night for protection mode, phono input,a nd troubleshooting in the back (the pages you referenced)

it seems like if it really is the protection circuit, the amp would shut down and blink red. but nothing happens, sound jsut dissapears.

gonna try tonight ot disconnect the external amp.