KLF-20's in a theater system?

Fotog

First time poster. Stumbled on the site a couple of days ago. I have 3 separate systems with the following setups. The computer uses Klipsh ProMedia 2.1 THX. The stand alone Stereo uses a pair of KLF-20's and a KSW-150 subwoofer (stereo system includes tuner/tape/CD and turntable). The Home Theater (5.1) uses a mix of Bose and PolkAudio components namely a Bose VCS center, Bose 201's as rear/surround, PolkAudio Monitor 70's as front towers and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer.

I am completely happy with the computer setup and I have long admired the sound from the Stereo. The home theater is adequate, however I am wondering if including the KLF-20's and KSW-150 into the theater system would make a significant impact (perhaps the KLF-20's as front towers with the Monitor 70's serving as rears).

I have literally zero understanding of "matching" speakers and the language so associated, so any advice should be explained with that in mind.

Thanks.

One disadvantage of mixing brands is that speakers such as Klipsch can play very loudly with very little wattage going into them. What happens is that they tend to drown the other speakers out. Their rating of a term called 'sensitivity' is much, much higher than the average speaker's sensitivity rating. I would say that your KLFs are going to play at least 10 decibels louder (perceived as sounding twice as loud) as your Bose speakers, given the same amount of wattage input into them.

If you are wanting to use your KLFs as front main speakers, I would suggest selling your Polks and Bose and using the money towards speakers that will match the Klipsch better. Fortunately for Bose they seem to hold their value pretty well. The Klipsch center speaker that matches the KLF series the best is the KLF-C7. Its a pretty tough speaker to find and usually sells for at least $400. Many people have had success using Klipsch speakers from their KV series of center channels, which are much easier to find and much less expensive than the KLF-C7. There is a KLF-C7 on eBay right now, buy-it-now of $350:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KLF-C7-CENTER-CHANNEL-SPEAKER_W0QQitemZ320220012332QQihZ011QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As far as surround speakers are concerned, Klipsch doesn't list any specific model that's the best match to your KLF-20s. If you do end up getting a center channel from the KV series, then speakers from the KG series would be a pretty decent way to go.

Klipsch made a KV1, KV2, KV3 and KV4 center channel. I would recommend going with at least a KV2, although the KV3 and KV4 are probably better matches in terms of their sound output capabilities. Here's a list of all the KV series center channels on eBay right now:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=klipsch+kv*&category0=

And here's a list of all the KG series speakers on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=klipsch+kg*&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&a6=-24&a14=-24&a31572=-24&a10244=-24&alist=a6%2Ca14%2Ca31572%2Ca10244%2Ca31573%2Ca3801&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=1578&pfid=1963&pf_query=klipsch+kg*&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&sass=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

As you can see, the KG series was comprised of everything from bookshelf speakers, floorstanding speakers and subwoofers. If you want a smaller speaker the bookshelf KGs are good. If you do have the space for a larger speaker to use as surround speakers, the floorstanding KGs are even better.

Thank you for the reply and ebay links. It reads like my best bets would be to either keep the Klipsh KLF-20's with the stand alone stereo (which I do enjoy very much) and the present surround setup, or upgrade the entire "theater" system to accomodate the higher efficiency of the KLF's. Appreciate your thoughts.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. You've come to the right place.

I started out with a new set of KLF-20s to replace an old set of speakers in a hand-me-down 2 channel system. I then purchased an A/V receiver and started looking for a "surround system"(5.1) I learned here that the KLF-C7 was the center I needed, and happened to find one for sale. I linked here to eBay for it. The seller was a Forum member. He later told me about some Legends that were being sold almost on my door step. I now have another set of -20s as my rear/surrounds and a KSW-30 sub. All of this due to the great folks you can meet here. I'm now prisoner to the "upgraditis" you'll here about here, but boy is it fun. Currently shopping for a new big screen, then upgrading the DVD, then maybe the receiver.

Search the archives on the different forums for info on what you currently have, and are trying to do. There a quite a few "Legend Heads" here who are ready to assist. Just remember, it's what sounds good to YOU, that matters.

Ebay right now has two C7s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KLF-C7-C-7-CENTER-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-SPEAKER_W0QQitemZ160211195891QQihZ006QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KLF-C7-CENTER-CHANNEL-SPEAKER_W0QQitemZ270214037991QQihZ017QQcategoryZ14992QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one black one cherry(I think)

I had KLF 20s and the C7 and they sounded great for HT. Looks like both end on Mar 2.

bidding right now for each is around $250. They could go up to $350 by the end.

Much appreciate the comments and links. Glad to know I'm a "legend head" [H] I really can't explain how nice I think those 20's sound. I started a thread (in the General discussion section) regarding songs that just JUMP when listened to through Klipsch speakers and All Along the WatchTower by Savage Grace has to one of my very favorites.

The ebay links give me a sense of price ranges. Truly appreciate the help. There is also a pair of KLF-20's and a C7 in the Garage section. Sounds like that would "wake up" a HT system.

• 1 month later...

I have just found and purchased a KLF-C7 in excellant condition. I plan to replace the Bose VCS center with the KLF-C7. I will replace the Polk PSW 10 sub with my Klipsch KSW-150 and replace the Bose 201's (surround) with the KLF-20's. I temporarily need to use the Polk Monitor 70's in the setup and currently plan to use them as mains. I will likely try it with the KLF-20's as mains with the Monitor 70's as surrounds and vis-versa. For now it is the best I can do. At least I am getting the Klipsch equipment into the mix and with the great C7 find I am pretty geeked.

Congrats! I think you'll find the KLF fronts and center to be the best sounding matchup.

Do most run the sub-woofer off the fronts or the surrounds? I currently have my sub mated to the front towers with the surrounds linked to just the tuner 5.1 outputs. It is easier (wiring wise and space/location wise) to mate the sub with the front mains. If I were to do that with my KLF's, I would have all Klipsch products (KLF-C7, KLF-20's, KSW-150) at the front facing the seating positions with the Polk Monitor 70 towers as the stand alone surrounds. Does that sound about right with my current speaker options?

I'm sure I will see a huge difference over the Bose VCS 10 center and the 201's and even the Polk PSW 10 sub. Really pretty geeked. Thanks for the thoughts and original advice.

Fotog,

When you are ready, look for 2 more KLF-C7's and find something else for the Polk speakers to do. Speaker matching is a differnece you can hear...see my sig below...I wouldn't have it any other way...[:D]

May you experience good travels on your path through the upgrade forest...[:)]

I run KLF-20's as my fronts with a KLF-C7 center and it's the "BOMB" as Randy Jackson likes to say! Even my wife, who doesn't like to admit that no all audio sounds the same, say that the sound is awesome. Get yourself a KLF-C7 to start as a first priority, then change out those rear speakers.

Klipsch ROCKS!

• Like 1