La Scala Bass Mod - again

Marvel

1 hour ago, Curious_George said:

Exactly. Thank you. This is all I was alluding to. 

Claude, you need to make up your mind. One minute you state the above, which I agree with, other times, you say the opposite like "half-baked". It can't be both in reality. If you want to flounder, then that is your prerogative. 

It is half baked compared to a horn subwoofer, where the low IM distortion of the LaScala is preserved (espcially if a K-43 is used), while extending the bass with similar TRANSIENT response to get you the TWO strong missing octaves instead of extending only ONE rather weakly in comparison while adding IMD. But it's still only half of an improvement to put it another way.

• Sad 1

Everything in life is a compromise. Did we really have to debate an audio topic in order for me to make that statement for you to realize? 

We are not talking about life here, we are talking about BASS EXTENSION. This is a Klipsch SPEAKER forum. There is no DEBATE, only choices when presented with FACTS and Experience. Your choice.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

We are not talking about life here, we are talking about BASS EXTENSION. This is a Klipsch SPEAKER forum. There is no DEBATE, only choices when presented with FACTS and Experience. Your choice.

It is hard to refute facts, data and experience, but I don't recall doing any of those three. I made an observation that a lot of opinions on this forum are "half-baked" to use your descriptive words. NOW THAT is up for debate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curious_George said:

To get the full benefit from the LaScala bass modification, Dennis indicated that the high pass filter EQ was needed (and it is). I suspect most people who do modify their LaScala's do not use the EQ and this is where the "disappointment" may come in. 

Almost every speaker could benefit from a subwoofer, even some "subwoofers", if that makes any sense...

I like a full music spectrum, but not everyone wants or needs much below 30Hz. 

Can you please explain more on what is needed here to utilize the high pass filter EQ you reference? Does that mean I would need an equalizer or DSP? 

5 minutes ago, Limberpine said:

Can you please explain more on what is needed here to utilize the high pass filter EQ you reference? Does that mean I would need an equalizer or DSP? 

The below circuit is an example of what you would need to realize the high pass EQ filter electronically. This is only the high pass EQ filter circuit, no power supply is shown. This circuit could be inserted into your preamp's tape loop function (in/out). On some preamps, there is a specific "EQ" loop for external processors, such as this high pass filter. If you need a power supply circuit let me know.

18dB High Pass Filter 40Hz 5dB boost.png

12 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

The below circuit is an example of what you would need to realize the high pass EQ filter electronically. This is only the high pass EQ filter circuit, no power supply is shown. This circuit could be inserted into your preamp's tape loop function (in/out). On some preamps, there is a specific "EQ" loop for external processors, such as this high pass filter. If you need a power supply circuit let me know.

Are there any off the shelf units products could buy?

And what about an old school EQ, like an SE-77 Sansui 12 band with 5+ boost that would work?

It is hard to refute facts, data and experience, but I don't recall doing any of those three. I made an observation that a lot of opinions on this forum are "half-baked" to use your descriptive words. NOW THAT is up for debate. 

It's devolved into a half-baked debate about a half baked option. I'm outta here!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Are there any off the shelf units products could buy?

And what about an old school EQ, like an SE-77 Sansui 12 band with 5+ boost that would work?

I'm not sure. I'd have to do some research. The problem with a regular EQ is the bandwidth or Q of the circuit. It would probably be too wide and affect to many frequencies on either side of the 40Hz boost region. In addition, the high pass filter EQ has a built-in "infrasonic" slope to attenuate the lower frequencies from unloading the woofer at 1/2 the port tuning frequency. 

• Thanks 1

Okay, so this is sorta like a powered version of a notch filter that I have used with single driver speakers?

This would plug into the in/out tape RCAs of my preamp and I would power it up with the rest of the system? 

Here's a better solution if you are building risers anyhow. If you want to build something that works and is cheap, built 2 of these Anarchy tapped horns and use them as RISERS under LaScalas. Use two of these amplifiers to drive them and leave the LaScalas alone. Stick the port end into a corner or against a wall behind each LaScala. Look at the RED curve which is what comes out of the mouth. Should cost less than $300 to do for both channels. REAL BASS at work, without added distortion. Plans are in the PDF by Little Mike.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SA25-25W-Subwoofer-Amplifier-300-782

chuckanarchysubwooferlight.jpg

Exodus Anarchy 25hz TH.pdf

900x900px-LL-2720cf33_IMG_9626.jpeg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Here's a better solution if you are building risers anyhow. If you want to build something that works and is cheap, built 2 of these Anarchy tapped horns and use them as RISERS under LaScalas. Use two of these amplifiers to drive them and leave the LaScalas alone. Stick the port end into a corner or against a wall behind each LaScala. Look at the RED curve which is what comes out of the mouth. Should cost less than $300 to do for both channels. REAL BASS at work, without added distortion. Plans are in the PDF by Little Mike.

Exodus Anarchy 25hz TH.pdf 466.29 kB · 0 downloads

So, this would be an enclosed riser that sits underneath the La Scala and wouldn't need the doghouse cutout? 

Also, could it be scaled to work as a riser that fits under the the La Scala, so that it looks flush on all side?

• Like 1

Even though my MWMs give me the best bass I've ever had in my house (knowing there is lower bass to be had for HT), I never was dissatisfied with the bass in my La Scalas. All I have ever said is that a lot of people either don't have the room to place a sub or feel the need for one. Dennis' mod does give you more, without taking up any floor space, or without even showing you have modded the cabinets.

I won't always have room for these huge bins. If I still have a pair of LS, I will try Dennis' mods. I'll also make sure to add the filter  so it is complete and correct.

34 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Exodus Anarchy 25hz TH.pdf 466.29 kB · 0 downloads

I believe Mike @MookieStl built two of those to use under Belles.

• Like 1