La Scala Bass Mod - again

Marvel

1 hour ago, Limberpine said:

So, this would be an enclosed riser that sits underneath the La Scala and wouldn't need the doghouse cutout? 

Also, could it be scaled to work as a riser that fits under the the La Scala, so that it looks flush on all side?

No cutout of any kind. Just add, but you have to live with the dimensions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

This is the one that was used for the curves I uploaded. 

https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-Band-W6-1139SIF-6-1-2-Paper-Cone-Subwoofer-Speaker-264-919

The fifth one I built, now being used by my son, is built around the neo version of Tang Band-W6-1139.  It works fine.  Lil’ Mike, the designer of the sub, says the TB-1139 is suitable.

https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-Band-W6-1139SI-6-1-2-Subwoofer-264-832

I bought it open box for $50.00 from PE.

06A69A45-E1E5-41E1-A9D3-AFBF3B991F79.jpeg

FYI my son uses his single small TH to augment a pair of Klipsch The Sixes he uses primarily for movies and gaming.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

That looks like a great sub project, no doubt. I've not heard one yet.

It puts out a truly amazing amount of bass for it's size. The one I curved was built by me and and a friend as a "portable" subwoofer with a handle on top. I have owned several of the BIG Danley Tapped Horn subs, and still do.

However this thing will put out way lower and more bass without a fuss than the double port LS Mod. For a given amount of cubic feet, a tapped horn puts out 6 db more output than bass reflex with the same driver. Since this thing has it's own driver and amplifier, it doesn't take anything away from the excellent sound and low distortion from the LaScala while simply ADDING to it. Even with only 25 watts X 2, this thing will flap your pant leg if the Music calls for it.

Dizrotus has 4 of those babies! He has not looked for anything else as long as I've known him, and yes I heard his more than once.

3 hours ago, Curious_George said:

It is hard to refute facts, data and experience, but I don't recall doing any of those three. I made an observation that a lot of opinions on this forum are "half-baked" to use your descriptive words. NOW THAT is up for debate. 

In regards to the "half -baked" opinions....this one is a real classic.

Yeah...we should all go out & buy 2 x 25 watt amps to run some home made cabs with tiny drivers to achieve "real' bass.

Throw me all the graphs you want, but if you think that's going to gel with a set of La Scala's, then you need new ears. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Limberpine said:

Okay, so this is sorta like a powered version of a notch filter that I have used with single driver speakers?

This would plug into the in/out tape RCAs of my preamp and I would power it up with the rest of the system? 

I would have to dig deep, but I believe Dennis said you could use the EV Interface A eq box between your pream/poweramp, or put it in your tape loop. You can pick them up on ebay. It gives the large boost at 32Hz, which, with the ports and volume increase in the back chamber, provides the smoother response.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Having actual personal experience with the La Scala bass bin mod and the Anarchy Exodus TH sub, I don’t feel it too much of a thread hi-jack to discuss the sub as an alternative to bass bin mod.

Thank you. I like being more than a designer, DIY builder, modder, and a guy who curves speakers. I really do enjoy the success of others here, like you.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sootshe said:

Yeah...we should all go out & buy 2 x 25 watt amps to run some home made cabs with tiny drivers to achieve "real' bass.

Throw me all the graphs you want, but if you think that's going to gel with a set of La Scala's, then you need new ears. 

My brothers worked for me as Wedding DJ's using a system I designed and built. We had 2 LaScalas that DJ in the 80's with no subs, and 120 wpc Halfler amplifiers that never failed. I lost count of how many pairs of those and Peavey versions I have owned (still own a few). I know what these short W bins can do and I have used and measure all the drivers the work with them.

I'm the guy who initially recommended full horn subs that can do 124 db output, remember? That is the ultimate solution, which apparently is out of reach for now, so this is workable alternative to the ultimate.

Now considering we are talking better alternatives that include cost, space, ease of building, etc. I can assure you that TWO of these Anarchy mini tapped horns (they are 13 FT long) with High Excursion drivers, as prescribed, would STOMP the "air volume/port mod" in question any day of the week. Klipsch's 15" drivers are not high excursion so too much boost a 32 Hz. would definitely increase IM distortion to an unacceptable level.

31 Hz. is an open B string on modern 5 and 6 string basses, so it's part of the music scene besides synthesizers and pipe organs.

But this is not a discussion off the absolute scale at this point, other wise I'd recommend what I have in my living room which has Scared Strangers on more than one occasion.

For the amount of lumber and air volume, the Anarchy Subs would outperform the proposed mod and would be of similar cost and time to do without touching a LaScala's guts at all.

The fact that you "disbelieve" means you probably have not tried it. So at this point your response is based on "Emotional Testing" that leads to Negative Opinion on your part and nothing more. This has the same useable value here as what it cost you to type it.

24 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Guess not... 😉

I only left momentarily to gather data and post what I KNOW to be a better solution without going overboard.

Dude, you should know me well enough to know I'm just trying to help. My track record of 15 years speaks for itself.

Who else here has built stuff and posted curves to prove their point besides me? I have not measured the PEAK output of a pair of these, but I know that just ONE will reach between 105-110 db and is RULER flat between 30 and 100 Hz. What more do you want?

I'm also trying to eliminate what PWK would have deemed as BS without facts and experiences to back them up.

Is that fair enough?

So those of you who still insist on building the OP's Port Mod for a LaScala, then you should have the ports firing into the corners, which will give you about 6 db more output for FREE, and reduce (not eliminate) the need for EQ boost.

Dennis mod was great 15+ years ago, but the advent of Tapped Horns by Tom Danley and his influence on the DIY community has given us way better alternatives for lower, and less distorted BASS while not messing with the LaScala "magic."

OK?

Oh, and one more thing Mr. Marvel, I used to use 4 MWMs bins under my LaScalas crossing at 150 Hz. 14 years ago as Subwoofers, and I agree they had fabulous bass, but not low enough for HT, which was still emerging then, before we got 1080P TVs..

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So those of you who still insist on building the OP's Port Mod for a LaScala, then you should have the ports firing into the corners, which will give you about 6 db more output for FREE, and reduce (not eliminate) the need for EQ boost.

OK?

If we “insist” on trying this option, it doesn’t mean we are wrong.

We don’t need to be dragged along with options we’re either not interested in or not likely to try. 

Just be happy for us if we feel we’ve made a worthwhile improvement, after all, this hobby is so very subjective.

OK?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sootshe said:

If we “insist” on trying this option, it doesn’t mean we are wrong.

We don’t need to be dragged along with options we’re either not interested in or not likely to try. 

Just be happy for us if we feel we’ve made a worthwhile improvement, after all, this hobby is so very subjective.

OK?

Totally agree with your last sentence. My happiness has nothing to do with the best way to get more bass. I added a positive contribution before your response didn't I?

The only subjective aspect is what is acceptable to a listener. Otherwise, it's applied science with measurements.

I'm not "dragging" anyone into anything. Your misconception of my intent is not fact.

Feel free to ignore my advice and do whatever you want, which is what we all do.

What I have a problem with is that you do not have Experience or Measurements to back up your incorrect claim. So even though my data suggests that you don't know what the heck you are taking about with your negative statement about your PERCEIVED inadequacies of a 6.5 inch High Excusion Sub driver that is loaded with a 13 foot horn, you are still free to do whatever you little heart desires with your speakers. You always were.

Enjoy the music.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Oh, and one more thing Mr. Marvel, I used to use 4 MWMs bins under my LaScalas crossing at 150 Hz. 14 years ago as Subwoofers, and I agree they had fabulous bass, but not low enough for HT, which was still emerging then, before we got 1080P TVs..

I don't have a problem... I don't do HT. A lot of other people here also don't do HT.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

I don't have a problem... I don't do HT. A lot of other people here also don't do HT.

I do both. Full Atmos in LR and 2.1. in workout room. 2.1 on computer. I don't have a problem either, I have several. LOL.

Besides, all this HiFi stuff is a terminal illness involving a personal illusion that you can do the impossible. To create something as good as live acoustic music with headphones and speakers. That is the quest.

8 hours ago, billybob said:

It is good that warriors like us can converse with emotion and no one person can come away feeling ashamed, we spoke of peace on this great plain, while sending signals to our people of mellowed dreams yet to come...White Bird Floating High

And so we move from sub-100 hz. bass to philosophy. A relatively harmless activity. We should all learn from History's Wisdom! Even about sound reproduction.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

And so we move from sub-100 hz. bass to philosophy. A relatively harmless activity. We should all learn from History's Wisdom! Even about sound reproduction.

So the Anarchy can go too 100 hz. That should work well. That photo a couple looked like Edgar type. Hard to scale but guess it was the sub in the middle with the 18 inches. Anyway, nice looking system.

Alright then...

14 hours ago, sootshe said:

You would be surprised how well they gel (with Belles in my case) BUT not for every situation or room. Mine are in a small (12 x20) living room with no place to put another speakers, so underneath it goes. I use 200 watts not 25 and the two keep up just fine with the mains. just the little boost from 80hz down to around 25hz. 

Like you (if I guess right) I just enjoy building things and experimenting.  I have built about a dozen of these for several people. Some were knocked out, some were underwhelmed. I have other set ups with another set of Belles and two sets of LSi. I use different subs for each, just for the fun of the game. All sound good to me and were worth the effort put forth which was fun so actually no effort.

Enjoy the hobby

• Like 1