La Scala Bass Mod - again

Marvel

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

That's not what Dennis is saying... 31Hz, it's substantially louder (ported and eq), even without the eq it's much better.

I have to ask. Since you have been such a proponent of this going back to 2008, did you ever actually BUILD one and measure it? 

On 10/17/2021 at 4:51 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have to ask. Since you have been such a proponent of this going back to 2008, did you ever actually BUILD one and measure it? 

Mostly, because I tried to copy all of Dennis' posts, but they have been is some disarray. It seems more important to me now that he is gone.

After I got a pair of La Scalas, I always wanted to do it, but I had zero shop space and  almost no tools. After the wife and I moved, nothing really changed, but I sold the LS in 2014. Then, I found a pair sitting on a guys front porch. Paid $100, got them home and found I really only got cabinets (and one of those was a clone). ALL the parts were non Klipsch, and nowhere close to specs that would really work. Over time I got some mint K-33s from JWC (who had sold them to my older son).I still had the DHA2 crossovers from my old LS I had sold, as they had crossovers they wanted to use. I bought a pair of K-400 horns from someone, and used the EV 1828 drivers the were in the cabinets (Klipsch used those for a while and they sound fine). And I still had the Eminence APT-50 from Bob on the Eminence 100x50 horn. I was good to go, and they sounded great. Still do.

However, I finally bought a small router and opened up the top of the doghouse. They I promptly put a cover on it so I could still listen. I got slowed down as I front mounted the K-400s, and they sit slightly away from the baffle, so I need to either caulk them , or modify them so they would fight flush and could be sealed easier.

Long story is there are still plans to finish the mod. I would still need to close in the back and put the ports in and a few other things. Added to that was getting the MWMs, so you know which was easiest to do -- crank up the MWMs. I just replaced the LS woofers with the MWM connections and it sounds really good.

Another forum member PM'd me and asked if I would help them build the high pass filter circuit for the LaScala mod. I put together a BOM from Jameco so the parts could be sourced easily from one location. Of course there are many places to get the parts from, but Jameco has good prices and has everything in stock. 

I have no affiliation with Jameco. 

18dB High Pass Filter EQ_LaScala Part BOM_102121.pdf

• Like 3

And 40 hz is about right. True their may be some extension but, for solid down, another modder kept coming back to the similar number down. If so, pretty decent, would like to think. The modder that was on another forum did the LS through the top from bin and, numbers from the modeling software came in with similar results. Dennis and he conferred by phone and had a decent conversation according to the link.

Thanks!