Klipsch Cornwall III and tubeamps!

Thuper

Hej, I am now a very happy owner of an A318B!! I have circa 1977 Hereseys. I have replaced the caps and dropped the taps on the tweeter and sqwaker, which has tamed the high end somewhat, per recommendations in the forums.

I now want to experiment with tube rolling. I was advised that the rolling the 6sn7 tubes will have a much greater impact compared with the 6sl7 tubes, so I've been focusing on options for the 6sn7. Is this not correct?

Thanks.

Wm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well.. I've done a lot of tube rolling in my Almarro. And so far my favourit combo is RCA VT-231 grey glass(early-40's) and a KenRad 6SL7GT "round silver plates" (-49) IMO a perfect mach! Solid, dry, defined bass, a midrange to die for(!) and "never ending" highs!

Another interesting set up is with a russisan metal base 6H8C(-50's) and Sylvania 6SL7WGT (late 50's) This is a verey detailed set up, and a bith bright sounding. reveals a lot of information especially in the treble range. A solid dry bass! but doesn't seem to go so low as the first set up... and lack a bit of presision...

The russian tube is a very interesting tube. Quite transparent in sound, and fun to try different SL's with... my favourit for late night listening combo is with the russian tube and a -42 National Union 6SL7GT "black glass"... A bit "rounded" highs and a powerful bass! If I try to cranck up the volume a tad here, my windows starts to shake, pictures falls of the walls, and my wife is yelling at me... But for late night listenening... Superb!

It's fun to test tubes!!!! [<:o)]

And in my opinion: both tubes are equal important! It's about synergy...

• 3 weeks later...

Short commment to the difference is...

The Diva's are more precise, holografic and direct. lack som of the bass definiton of the CW's and doesen't fill my livingroom with music in the same way as the CW's. But in a dedicated listening room they are my first choise...

The to different systems...

WLM Diva, Leben CS300 and Electrocompaniet EMC-1Up

Posted Image

Klipsch Cornwall III, Almarro A318B and Electrocompaniet EMC-1Up

Posted Image

Yes... I'm still short of one source...And still looking for a tunrtable...

I've tried this though... wasen't "my cup of tea"... lacked a bit of dynamic and details. especially in bass and treble... Midrange was good!

Posted Image

It's a Nottingham analouge Hyperpace. I used it with a Benz Ace medium, Space Ace arm and ASR Mini Basis. Conclusion was: a beautiful piece of equipment, but I preffered to listen to my CD-player...

Posted Image

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey!

I've forgotten this thread... Rediscovered it while serching for some of my old photos....

It has been a lot of changes since I last posted in this...

New house, new source and new amp. The Cornwall III's are still with me.

My new amp is a Leben CS600: I use E-H KT88 as power tubes.

My new source is a pc... and a WLM Gamma Reference DAC. I use audacious in Linux and play bit-perfec to the dac.

post-28238-13819664281196_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...