RF-7 2 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER HELP

felitopaz

I have a pair of RF-7's with Dean Wescott crossover modification and I want to buy an amplifier for 2 channel listening.

I am currently using A Classé CAV-150 150wpc for home theater 6 channels and I have a chance to buy a

1. KRELL KSA 80B 80 wpc pure class "A"

2. Classé CA-200 200 wpc class "AB"

3. Parasound Halo A21 200 wpc 8 wpc class A and the rest AB.

Please recommend between these three amplifiers.

Thanks.

Wow, what a choice! I won't be of any help unfortunantly since I've never auditioned any of those amps, but I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with any one of 'em.

I noticed you made the point of adding what amplifier class these amps run on...I assume class-A operation is important to you(?); if so, the Krell may be your first choice. I don't know about SS amps, but I can tell you class-A operation with a low powered, single-ended, zero negative feedback vacuum tube amp is especially sweet sounding with Klipsch horn speakers.

Regardless, there are endless possibilities with your Dean-modded RF-7s since they're so efficient and an easy load with whatever amplifier you decide to use, so I don't think you'd go wrong with any amp from your above choices. Hopefully, someone with the proper experience who knows those amps will be able to better serve you than I have.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

• 3 months later...

Sold the Halo A-21 and purchase a 1985 Threshold S/300. I sent it to Jon Soderber for upgrades. He replaced the Capacitors, installed Cardas binding posts and a Ixys fast recovery diode. This amplifier in really nice with my Dean Wescott modified RF-7.

The Krell and the Classe amps are in a different league than the Parasound. What preamp are you using?

I would guess that the Classe is a better match to the RF7's as Krell can have an edgy top end with the wrong speakers and Klispch can be harsh with the wrong amp, Classe is suposed to be smoother.

I am using an Anthem AVM 30 pre-amp. I hooked up the Threshold S/300 to the RF-7 and I bi-amped the RC-7 (two channels from the Classé CAV-150) and two channels to the RS-7. Sounds great. I have two subwoofers Velodyne DLS5000R and they blend excellent with Klipsch.