Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 3

thebes

Ever have something in your collection that you're not in love with but you hold onto it because of what it represents?

Could be nostalgia, respect for the artist, a memory or in hopes that once you spend a little more time with it it will deliver on it's promise.

This weeks recommendation is one of those.

Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross, "Diana and Marvin", pop/soul, lp

Two of the gods of soul singing duets on an entire album. Hard not to get excited until you listen to it. It just lacks that something that turns it into something special. Diana Ross has a huge discography but Marvin, gone too soon with to little left behind to treasure. So even though I'm not it love, I don't reject this album out of hand. Recording quality is pretty good, but hardly audiophile quality. Chances are I'll never let it go though.

So what do you have to share this week?

Sorta' a sad week for me, with the passing of BUDDY MILES at 60 years old. The problem with getting older, your favorites pass on to the Rock Band in the Sky. Buddy was an awesome Drummer who could pound those skins, and he also was blessed with a Great voice. If you missed Buddy here's a couple of Albums that would give you an idea of his great talent, this is a good starting point to journey into his great, and sometimes troubled career :

A LONG TIME COMING : THE ELECTRIC FLAG ...... Buddy, Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Harvey Brooks, and a cast of other great musicans. It was no coincidence that on the back of the vinyl record cover, that the picture was taken at the entrance of an Underground passage-way, they were considered an undergound band in those days. The remastered version has extra songs including Sunny which features Buddy's vocals. This album is a true Classic, and way ahead of the times when released ......... Did I mention the outstanding Horn Section ?

THEM CHANGES : BUDDY MILES ...... Buddy's Solo effort, another great example of the big man's talent, and that voice. How a man that size can sing like that, and play drums at the same time, blows me away .....A fine album to add to any collection ......

BAND OF GYPSYS ; Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Miles, Billy Cox ........... again, Great drumming, strong vocals, and songwriting the average man can understand, and apperciate. Jimi draws all the attention, as well he should, but listen to it sometime, and key in on Buddy. Also while I'm in the Jimi moment, Buddy is also on Electric Ladyland ..........

These will give you an idea of the mans talent, there are others out there, but I feel these are the cream of the crop. Brother Buddy Miles will be missed in my home, a truly talented man ................. REST IN PEACE : BOOGER BEAR ........... Say Hi to JIMI for me !!!!!!!!!!!

March the month of St Pattricks Day.

g79752vlfau.jpg

Brilliant Irish music that kicks the crap out of U2 IMO. If you haven't heard the Poques grab a "best of" to celebrate St.Patricks day.

BEER BEER BEER

A long time ago, way back in history,

when all there was to drink was nothin but cups of tea.

Along came a man by the name of Charlie Mops,

and he invented a wonderful drink and he made it out of hops.

He might have been an admiral a sultan or a king,

and to his praises we shall always sing.

Look what he has done for us he's filled us up with cheer!

Lord bless Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer beer beer

tiddly beer beer beer.

The Curtis bar, the James' Pub, the Hole in the Wall as well

one thing you can be sure of, its Charlie's beer they sell

so all ye lads a lasses at eleven O'clock ye stop

for five short seconds, remember Charlie Mops

1... 2... 3... 4... 5...

He must have been an admiral a sultan or a king,

Lord bless Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer beer beer

tiddly beer beer beer.

A barrel of malt, a bushel of hops, you stir it around with a stick,

the sort of lubrication to make your engine tick.

40 pints of wallop a day will keep away the quacks.

Its only eight pence hapenny and one and six in tax

1... 2... 3... 4... 5...

He must have been an admiral a sultan or a king,

And Lord bless Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer beer beer

tiddly beer beer beer.

The Lord bless Charlie Mops!

IN HEAVEN THERE IS NO BEER

In heaven there is no beer

That's why we drink it here

And when we're gone from here

All our friends will be drinking all the beer!(Everybody sing!)

All our friends will be drinking all the beer!

Lá lá lá lá lá lá

Lá lá lá lá lá lá

Lá lá lá lá lá lá

Lá lá lá lá lá lá lá lá

I made a small vinyl score earlier this week containing some folk/blues rock (Dylan, Neil, ZZ Top, etc) and was exposed to some good music. One that has earned repeated spins is Emmylou Harris' "Elite Hotel". I always considered E.L. country, but this has a nice country-folk feel to it -- very similar to her work with Gram Parsons (another artist we lost way too young). I've heard some of her compilations and was never impressed, but this Elite Hotel album is consistent throughout.

post-25126-13819366247186_thumb.jpg

I made a small vinyl score earlier this week containing some folk/blues rock (Dylan, Neil, ZZ Top, etc) and was exposed to some good music. One that has earned repeated spins is Emmylou Harris' "Elite Hotel". I always considered E.L. country, but this has a nice country-folk feel to it -- very similar to her work with Gram Parsons (another artist we lost way too young). I've heard some of her compilations and was never impressed, but this Elite Hotel album is consistent throughout.

Turns out I picked this up awhile ago and hadn't had a chance to listen to it. Very nice especially the backside. Thanks!