Palladiums at Indy Ovation

colterphoto1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only comment on the appearance in the store setup photo, but I thought these are truly the "son" of the remarkably imposing Klipschorn, whose style equalled the sound -- that's the first thing I thought when I saw the pic, and a new reaction for me. Like Paul's stroke of design genius, these are really impressive!

My two cents...I stopped by the store on Friday about 5:00ish and went all around the store. Waiting for the palladiums last. Each room was nicely laid out with various brands of well known and boutique speakers/amps/sources/etc...all out of my price range. Everything sounded good at the listening positions laid out and the salespeople were very knowledgeable...there is my schtick for Ovation. In comparison to the other speakers in the store...I felt like the Palladiums had more openness and power than the competition. Very large sweet spot, I stood from 15% outside of the right and left speaker and still felt like I was getting good two channel sound. As many others have said before these are just smokin' in the midrange...male and female voices were clear and smooth, there was no grain...at all. Saxes sounded like saxes, trumpets sounded like trumpets...and they felt as close to live as I have felt in the 2+ years I have been searching for that sound. They sounded great at low volumes and loud on jazz, African tribal, and rock. I did however prefer the sound standing vs. sitting, meaning that my ears more on axis with the horns as opposed to the bass drivers...I felt it was a more preferable mix and balance of sound. Of course this has a lot to do with the room I am sure. How I would describe them in comparison to other Klipsch speakers...better! Basically a combination of the best parts of other Klipsch speakers and then a step up from that. I have a set or cornwalls and rf-7's and it seems like a nice mix of the tight bass from the RF-7's with the great midrange of the Cornwalls...and then like I said a step up. I equate my migration to Klipsch speakers from whatever else like going from VHS to DVD, the step from the current Klipsch equipment that I own/have heard to the Palladiums is like from DVD to Blue-Ray (not trying to start a format war here). There won't be a $10K difference to most people, but to the people who know/care about it and can scrape together the money...they will be very happy that there is a speaker that can fill the gap between what there is and what they want there to be. Would I buy them? I don't think I could afford the P-39's for some time, but maybe a set of bookshelves in a few years. If the same or very similar horns are used in the bookshelf as the floorstanders, it is a steal for ~$3500 (I think that is the retail price on them, correct me if i am wrong) Paired with a good sub, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal in the audio world...

If the same or very similar horns are used in the bookshelf as the floorstanders, it is a steal for ~$3500 (I think that is the retail price on them, correct me if i am wrong) Paired with a good sub, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal in the audio world...

My thoughts as well. There's a big difference between $3,500 and $15,000 -- and all you're really losing is four woofers and a bunch of cabinet materials.

If the same or very similar horns are used in the bookshelf as the floorstanders, it is a steal for ~$3500 (I think that is the retail price on them, correct me if i am wrong) Paired with a good sub, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal in the audio world...

My thoughts as well. There's a big difference between $3,500 and $15,000 -- and all you're really losing is four woofers and a bunch of cabinet materials.

This place is so crazy lately, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not!

• Moderators

Ok i expected the forum members to like them, not really a big surprise, we did expect great sound, but did anyone hear any comments from any of the people who work at Ovation ?

They hear many different brands and would know better from dealing with customers if it's going to be a big hit and something they can move alot of ?