Connecting speaker wire to your Klipsch speakers and Receiver - Banana Plugs?

Porsche

What's the best way for me to hook up my speakers to speaker wire and the receiver?

I have the Klipsch Reference Series III (RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3 w/ the KSW-12) and an Onkyo 575X receiver.

Do I lose sound quality and sound level by just sticking the speaker wire through the hole they've made for you (in the Klipsch speakers)? Can I use a better connector somehow?

With my Onkyo 575X receiver, I have to loop the speaker wire around the connectors, and then tighten them. It seems kind of crappy. Is there another way?

And what kind of speaker wire do you guys recommend to use?

I also am in the market for Component Video cabling - what brand do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Onkyo TX-DS575X(B) Receiver

Sony DVPS 560D DVD Player

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" Trinitron TV

Klipsch Quintet Microtheatre (boxed up)

As for connecting the speaker wire; You won't lose any of the signal by wiring straight to the binding posts. However, for ease of connection/disconnection, you might want to try putting banana plugs or spades on the ends of each wire. I use banana plugs all the way around (Radio Shack Gold series @ $5.99/ea). I think I have about $120 invested in banana plugs alone. Smile.gif

I am using Monster M-500 component video cables ($120) for my DVD and cable box. Some people spend more and some spend less. I don't have any complaints about this cable. As for speaker wire, you will get about 100 different opinions on this. For me, your basic Monster 12ga will suffice...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

For whatever realistic or psychological applications apply to this, here is an idea to keep in mind. Which one would have the most contact area from the wire to the post? Bananas? Spades? Bare wire? The bare wire will corrode the fastest (may apply to bananas as well) and the jury is still out weather corroded wire degrades the sound quality to an audible level. But there is still a heap load of arguments/discussions on this very topic around here.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Monster Power HTS-5000

MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker cables

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Vibrapods

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

I agree with Mike, bare wire connections are fine. Might want to re-do these connections every once in a while if you're worried about oxidation. I use Monster twist-crimp banana plugs for convenience of wire termination and connection/disconnection (I think $12 for four plugs). Bare wire/wire termination is debated, but I haven't noticed a difference assuming I get a solid connection.

I also use the Monster M-500 component video cable and have no complaints. Don't want to get into the speaker wire debate, really, but I agree that decent (like Monster) 12ga will suffice. If your runs to your center and mains are short (say under 12 feet), you might consider trying a fairly cheap bi-wire option for these speakers. Monster makes a 4 x 14ga bulk cable (2 pair of 14ga in one casing). Easy and tidy option for bi-wiring, and you should be able to buy this wire at a local shop for less than $.90 a foot. This has worked quite well for me.

As Mike said, you could spend quite a bit more or less and be happy. Personally, I'd spend more money on the component cable and other interconnects than speaker wire. Just make sure you have a sufficient gauge of speaker wire for your runs, and make sure that you get a very solid connection at the receiver and speakers. You can always experiment with more expensive cabling later and see what you think. Just my $.02.

Eric

Thanks for your help guys!

I will probably just keep on using my bare wire for now, but I will probably pick up some banana plugs later for ease of use.

As for the component video cable - I'm glad to see both of you agreed on Monster M-500 cabling.

And for the speaker wire, I've got some Acoustic Research stuff that I bought when I got my system - so maybe I'll grab some 12ga Monster wire.

------------------

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" WEGA TV

• Like 1

i've ordered bannana plugs because they look cool and make dis/re-connecting the speakers easier. to avoid corrosion on the wire you connect (by any method) 'tin' (solder) the ends. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/$22 vinyl pull-down window shade 'screen'-rough side out

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I tin wire whenever I can. I suppose that just replaces copper oxide with solder oxide. But it is more neat.

I've also converted over to banana plugs where there is a jack available. This is simply for convenience.

Need I add that I use zip cord.

Gil

I'd like to add one caveat about the use of bare wire; Be very careful that not even one tiny strand of wire on the positive side is bent over to the point of touching the negative post. This will result in; A) your amps protection will trip; B) you will blow a fuse on said amp; or C) your amp will die.

I used bare wire connections for years, and never had an incident, but as my eyesight has weakened with the ravages of middle age, I no longer trust my eyes in such critical matters. I have converted completely to Radio Shack Gold solderless banana plugs at every connection possible. Which is all of them in the music rig. In the HT room, I use the standard (zinc?) RadioShack variety.

------------------

JDMcCall

Yes, Radio Shack Banana Plugs are a must simply from a convienience standpoint. I don't know if they change the sound one bit, but still well worth the investment.

Speaker Cable:

Thin cable sucks. If you have ever spent a lot of time listening to a set of speakers through a high quality speaker cable, and then have to listen to speakers through thin cable like many audio store chains use in their listening rooms (aka Audio King in Woodbury, MN for those of you near that area), the difference in the quality of the sound is unmistakable. Better, cleaner highs, solid and precise lows, focused imaging.

I use MIT Terminator 2 speaker cables. I highly reccommend them. I don't know that any other speaker cable manufacturer has an equivalent technology.

Interconnects:

I use Radio Shack gold plated interconnect cables for many connections. I did splurge for the CD player (digital out) to receiver (digital in) and for the receiver to external amp connections. Here I use Audioquest cables, though I'm sure I could get a little more exotic here too. The difference between the CD player manufacturer supplied cable and the Radio Shack gold plated cable is tremendous. The difference between the radio shack interconnect and the Audioquest interconnect is audible, but not as huge.

One of the few items on AudioAdvisor.com that is genuinely less expensive than purchasing locally is the selection of MIT cables (hopefully this holds true for other cable brands too). Sorry about the plug. No I don't work for them.

• 17 years later...

I am in the minority here. Never used bananas. But purchased a Croft OTL that only had banana jacks. Definitely low mass. The British are big fans of banana connectors. 

I think bananas are the worst. Tinned bare wire is the best. But fiddley if changes are done. Plus going around and retightening the nut from time to time. 

Speakon are as good. But your amp and speakers do not have these. There is a reason recent manufacture pro amps have Speakon. 

Installed crimp on spades this year. Good ole USA  tinned copper. 

Cuts connection time by 75% compared to tinned bare wire.

And I use Canare Star Quad for internal and speaker wire. This must be Roy Delgado’s choice too. The latest Klipschorns and La Scalas come internally wired with some Audioquest Star quad. Good enough for Roy is good enough for me.

Magico uses the Canare Star Quad in their speakers. Their standmount 2 ways costs more than AK-6. So cost is not why. 

Benchmark sells speaker cables too. Canare Star Quad. 

On 1/14/2002 at 9:23 AM, Porsche said:

Thanks for your help guys!

I will probably just keep on using my bare wire for now, but I will probably pick up some banana plugs later for ease of use.

As for the component video cable - I'm glad to see both of you agreed on Monster M-500 cabling.

And for the speaker wire, I've got some Acoustic Research stuff that I bought when I got my system - so maybe I'll grab some 12ga Monster wire.

------------------

Klipsch RF-3

Klipsch RS-3

Klipsch RC-3

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" WEGA TV

I use 12awg speaker wires from my McIntosh MC 2105 amp to my La Scalas, Can't go wrong with 12awg, except some speaker terminals may have trouble with it.

John Kuthe...

7 hours ago, glens said:

So then go 14 and keep the runs to 30' or less.

I run 14awg to my JBL Control X Weather Resistant speakers in my deck out back, with about 50 ft of 14awg, And they get pretty loud when I crank them up! But I aspire to Klipsch WR640's recommended here on the Klipsch board. I just do not have any WR640s yet, just FOUR JBL Control X wired in series paired for stereo outside!

John Kuthe...

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, Timmy Dillon said:

I have 16 guage speaker wire.  Even folding the wire 2xs didn't help.  I plugged these to the inputs on my new Klipsch R51M speakers and, when I tighten the nuts, the speaker wire comes right out.

Try 12 gauge  wire or take out the caps and use banana plugs 

img-0251.jpg

26f9.jpg