Anyone ever try to make a La Scala bass bin for a 18 inch woofer?

jbsl

Just curious if anyone has tried this? I wonder if they could how would the HF section of a LS sound with one. Might go good with the Horn from the Jub also.

I wonder how much bigger the bass bin would have to be? 3 feet by 3 feet? I have no tech know how so this is just question I'm throwing out.

Check with Dr. Who and jwcullison. Dr Who has a program, I believe, that can calculate the required size. I think you have to provide the driver F/S and other parameters. At a minimum, and from a "wood requirements" point of view, it would be proportionally larger just to accomodate the size of the driver flange. It's likely that it could be 30-40% larger. Other than that, I'm sure that there are several others (I can't recall at the moment) who might be able to help you on the dimensions.

The Peavey Lowrider 18" subwoofer models up real well in a lot of horn configurations...

However, the "problem" with larger diameter drivers is that it is very difficult to maintain a rigid diaphragm at the higher frequencies. In other words, the bass would probably be impressive, but the HF extension would suck hardcore - making the transistion to the MF device much more difficult.

Not to mention you could end up with a cabinet that wouldn't fit through any of your doorways. That can really put a damper on things. "Honey, we'll just have to move the couch into the garage... maybe we can put some carpet down."

"Not to mention you could end up with a cabinet that wouldn't fit through any of your doorways. That can really put a damper on things."

That is what double doors are for.

"Honey, we'll just have to move the couch into the garage... maybe we can put some carpet down."

The only honey in my house is for hot tea so no problem.

I was just curious if anyone had tried it. I don't have the skills or equipment to do it.