The Klipsch Audio Community
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

Is anyone familiar with these speakers? I know some of you have owned or still own Frazier speakers and I am wondering if these are worth investigating. I know little about these. They are a two way incorporating a horn and what I believe to be a 12" woofer. I can get these cheap and am waiting for the seller to call me with a time tomorrow when I can audition them. If the cabinets are in good shape and they sound alright I may just ****** them up. I am hoping to go there tomorrow armed with a little bit more info. than I have right now, which is next to nothing.

Please clue me in on these if you can.

Tom

IMHO, Jack Frazier's most successful and best overall design. I have been of the opinion for years that PWK designed the Heresy in response to the MarkIV. I have 4 of them. I've had the opportunity to A/B them with Heresy and prefer the MarkIV...though not by a lot.

Dave

IMHO, Jack Frazier's most successful and best overall design. I have been of the opinion for years that PWK designed the Heresy in response to the MarkIV. I have 4 of them. I've had the opportunity to A/B them with Heresy and prefer the MarkIV...though not by a lot.

Dave

Dave,

do you have any literature on the MarkIV? If you do, can you post it or email me a copy? I would appreciate it. I talked with the seller and he thought it incorporated a 10" woofer. Is this correct? Are they 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Tom

Tom:
Yes, I do, but like so many things I can't lay a hand on it for the moment. Yes to your first question, and 8ohm on the second. I've asked pmsummer to post the brochure info on the MarkIV here. If he doesn't, ping him. He's also a Frazierhead.

Dave

Are you buying them from a record collector/dealer? Goes by Klownskool (sp?) over on AudioKarma?

Are you buying them from a record collector/dealer? Goes by Klownskool (sp?) over on AudioKarma?

As a matter of fact, yes. I spoke with Rick today and had to cancel my trip to check them out. I am shooting for Saturday AM. Rick seems like a pretty good guy. I am looking forward to meeting with him. Thank you for the literature. I like to have paper on all the audio I own. I'm a little weird like that.I have been curious about the Frazier speakers. I would like to check out some of the larger ones but for now these, I hope, will be a good introduction to the brand.

How do you rank this model in the Frazier lineup? A good example of what makes them desirable?

Tom

Tom,

I think Rick's a fool for selling them. You are getting a true steal,

I do prefer them to the Heresy. To my ears (but without a lot of listening) they are better balanced, deliver better bass, and are less fussy about placement. They are an outgrowth of the Frazier "Black Box" from the 1950s (best as I can tell). I don't have any, but I do have Monte Carlos, La Fiestas, Midgets, Mk Vs, Capris, and F-12-4Hs.

You are going to like them. Congratulations.

The frazier cab looks like it's about the same size as the Advent loudspeaker, right?

Tom, they are 8 ohms, and contain a 10" woofer, coupled to a 3x7" horn tweeter. In later versions, we used a piezo tweeter, and the last Mark IV contained a 1" dome tweeter. They were our second biggest seller, right behind the Monte Carlo. Todd

• Like 1

Todd, welcome to our group. The Klipsch Klan includes a significant number of Frazierheads. In my case, I have 4 Mark IV's, 3 pairs of MC's (including my first, vintage 1969), 2 pairs super Midgets, one pair Mrk V. I would have more, but only so much room. [:$]

What was your connection with Jack?

I am interested in ID'ing the pyramid shaped speaker described in the other Frazier thread in this forum. Can you help?

Regards,
Dave

Tom, they are 8 ohms, and contain a 10" woofer, coupled to a 3x7" horn tweeter. In later versions, we used a piezo tweeter, and the last Mark IV contained a 1" dome tweeter. They were our second biggest seller, right behind the Monte Carlo. Todd

Thank you Todd for the info. and welcome to the forum.

I am really looking forwrd to auditioning these speakers and hopefully adding them to my collection. These will be my first experience with Frazier speakers. I have been interested in them ever since I read how Paul Klipsch and Jack Frazier seemed to have similar ideas on speaker efficiency and seemed to respect each other's ideas and designs. I am loking forwrd to learn more about the Frazier speakers from other forum members. I have tried to research on the net and have not found very much info.

The people on this forum are a good group that are more than willing to help provide info. and other support in all things audio. I, myself, am very happy to be part of this forum.

Tom

Well, I brought the Mark IV's home and have them hooked up to my HK430. They sound pretty good. I am going to be ABing them with my KG4's tonight and tomorrow. I think when I'm done doing that I will put them up against the Heresys and see how they fare. I am not looking to see which one is better, more so, how they differ. I have only been listening to them for 30 minutes or so and I can tell a big difference in the mids and highs compared to the KG4's. I really enjoy checking out the different signatures of speakers. I will have to throw a few different genres and artists at these to form a better opinion of them.

Right now Eric Clapton is kickin' out some jams.

Tom

Looking forward to your experiments...

Dave

Well, I've been listening to these and the KG4's alternately on the HK 430. I have been switching back and forth and realizing that the Fraziers tend to be a bit more detailed with a more even balance over the whole frequency range that they emit. The KG4's seem to be a little heavier in the lower frequencies on the same material. I guess I could say that the Fraziers are a bit smoother than the 4's.

Now, playing all four speakers at the same time has resulted in a fabulous overall sound. I have these set up in a small 12'x10' room. I think the size of these speakers are perfect for this small room.Fraziers in front and KG's in back

I am going to AB the Fraziers and Heresys for a few days and see what differences there are between the two. I think I will hook them up to the Marantz system for this experiment.

So far, I must say, these were a great find.

I am really curious about other Frazier speakers, now more so than before. I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for more examples available on the local craigslist. I'm not a big proponent of shipping.

Like I need more speakers. LOL

Tom

Those speakers you have are an anomolly. All other Frazier speakers are BAD. DO NOT EVEN THINK about searching more out. It will be the end of you and you will end up living in a station wagon down by the river. Don't ask how I know this....

• Like 1

Those speakers you have are an anomolly. All other Frazier speakers are BAD. DO NOT EVEN THINK about searching more out. It will be the end of you and you will end up living in a station wagon down by the river. Don't ask how I know this....

Thank you for being so concerned about my well-being. I'm afraid it is too late for your concerns though. I am already living in a two room cardboard shanty by the freeway.

When the weather gets better I will move to my summer place, which is a large tent by the river.

I can't help but think you are speaking from experience.

It's a tough world out there.

I just ordered parts (caps and pots) for my Frazier Model 7's. Thanks must go to this list's own Mr. Denkin for providing the necessary links to the proper replacement items. Ain't technology and this forum great?

Just for the record, getting the potentiometers out of the box required hammers, pry bars and chisels...and a few choice words. Now that I know how they were originally put in, removal of the 2nd speaker's pots should be a bit easier. They were NOT assembled with the idea that someone would be rebuilding them in 30 years.

Estate Sale ad said: "Vintage Electronics: Teac, Bose and Frazier." That was all I needed to see.

Posted Image

Frazier Monte Carlo Ds, near the end of production (early '80s). Philips ferro-fluid dome tweeters. A little water damage (easily repairable), no badges (Frazier badges have GOT to be the rarest ones out there), cabinets in overall very good condition. Will clean up nicely.

Oh, and yes, they sound great.

P.S. They are sitting on top of the same size, but VERY different original Monte Carlos from the mid-'60s. The originals have two slots out the back and cone tweeter (of course). Those are some newly acquired AR4s sitting in front (as they begin a resto project too).

Woo. Serious case of jealousy. Never saw one this late. I assume that is the Helmholtz slot on the left? I have MC's from the late 60's and mid-70's. Got's to be looking for these!

Regards,

Dave