Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

runninshine,

there's a company in Dallas that rebuild speakers. recones, voice coils,etc.

Freeman-Tuell Speaker Repair

7911 Ferguson Road, Dallas, TX 75228-6353 (214) 324-1132

They've done right by me. They call you after the check out your stuff and ask what you want to do.

Great turnaround time also.

mike‎

runninshine,

there's a company in Dallas that rebuild speakers. recones, voice coils,etc.

Freeman-Tuell Speaker Repair

7911 Ferguson Road, Dallas, TX 75228-6353 (214) 324-1132

They've done right by me. They call you after the check out your stuff and ask what you want to do.

Great turnaround time also.

mike‎

Thanks Mike! I much rather have it repaired instead of replacing it.

runninshine,

my brother has a pair of patios, and despite the moniker "outdoor speakers", I'd not put them in the weather. They're

either made of flake board or plywood and it will rot like a sponge. Good to hang them up under an eve if you have em,

or put em out for the summer and be ready to bag them when the weather turns wet. Also, If you put a bag over them,

make sure you have some bricks or 2 x 4's under the boxes. They would otherwise be dry topside and sitting in a

puddle.

m

Thanks for the replies fellas. They are flake board and look like they would dry up a kiddie pool.

They are old and they would make great surrounds but, I would like to hang them outside. It's nice to have a small vintage piece of Frazier history.

covering them in the West System, might effect the acoustic quality, so I would not be one to second that

idea, but it would make them waterproof.

Curious. Intuitively, it would seem to make them more rigid which is traditionaly considered a good thing. What's your thinking on this?

Dave

Leave them the way they are. That's the way they were made!

Much as I respect Jack, that doesn't explain anything. Nobody, including Jack, should have built speaker enclosures from particle board.

I still don't see how being more rigid and water resistant would hurt the sound.

Dave

Frazier home products after 1975 double sided veneer of fibreboard core. earlier units either plywood core, or high density pressed wood

Frazier commercial products plywood....or high density pressed wood (till mid 70's when we went to fibreboard cores. We used the same products to build commercial products as did Altec....JBL et/all!

Now if you look at most old good high quality speakers, you will find that they were made with a pressed wood core...go figure... matter of fact, I looked at my "old" Heresy's and guess what pressed wood!

The Patio's were never made to stand direct weather. I have a pair that I got in 1972, and I still used them outside under my eves in the spring, fall and summer for outside listening, and they are just as good as they were 39 years ago.

Whatever Dave

I understand how my statement might get your goat, Todd, but I just have personal hatred of particle board for any purpose. Nasty way too heavy stuff with no strength that dissolves at the mere mention of moisture.

Just don't like it.

Dve

I have 10's and 12's here. You are honestly better off pulling yours though and having them looked over and/or rebuilt. At least for the woofer. You can find the tweeter elswhere or update that with a more modern tweeter for cheap.

I may have to bid on that. I've got a string of single Frazier speakers purchased...would hate to actually buy a pair of anything. Here is my new edition:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmhound/5526855975/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmhound/5526856099/in/photostream/

Mr. Crane, I would appreciate any info you could provide on my new speaker. I think I saw another post where you identified what looked like the same speaker as a Manhattan from the late 50's?

By the way, it sounds amazing! My first thought was that I couldn't wait to crack her open and take a look but she sounds so good I'm going to leave it alone until I need to get in there.

Thanks!