Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

Pbaird,

Looks like a Black Box with the high end trim. Veneer sides and grille cloth. Caution: 20 watts max in case the label is

missing. I've got 3 pair from the 70's. Get a dynaco SCA 35, tube amp. They're cheapish and the sound is incredible.

mike

TRVTH

I purchased my first Frazier's, Monte Carlos, in 1970 and ran them from an SCA-35 until acquiring a Luxman SS amp in 1973. I didn't recognize what I'd lost with the replacement until I fired up my St-70 on K'horns some 25 years later.

The SCA-35 may be the most underated and undervalue amp you can find. Pair it with Fraziers and you have the lowest cost high end system on the planet.

Dave

I appreciate the feedback guys. While looking for a tube amp today, I ran across two pair of Frazier speakers and I need your advice on what to do. This is the same guy that I posted about a few months back that kept giving me the "make me an offer"...normally that can be fun but in this case, I just don't know enough about this stuff to make an intelligent offer on anything. Here is what I found:

1 pair of Mark IV & 1 pair of Monte Carlo A. He also has refinished the F8 140s that I inquired about a few months back...damn they look nice. The Mark IVs and the Monte Carlo As both are pretty scratched up, grills are decent but no Frazier badges on any of them so cosmetically they are not great. I would be able to listen to them before buying but he tells me that all of them sound great.

Sooo, what do you think? Anyone care to weigh in on what I should offer on each pair individually? Also, if you please, which pair should be my primary target factoring in scarcity, etc..?

Thx!

He who talks first loses. Ask him what he'll take for them and then you can counter offer. The old motorcycle saying "chrome

don't get you home" sort of applies to great loudspeakers. It's not what they look like, but what they sound like.

Pay as little as you can for them. They might need some replacement or repairs you'll discover later.

My 2 cents is exactly worth what you've paid for it.

Good luck.

From Dallas Craigslist, I bought a pair of Buckaroos In excellent condition. Along with those I bought a Yamaha CA 610II Integrated Amp. Cost of both: $200.00.

The Buckaroo cabinets are in great shape as are the grills. One is missing the badge and has a bad bottom left corner that has been repaired. Otherwise, all the corners are sharp and no scratches. The grills have a copper colored metal mesh over the fabric. Very cool! There is no noise or scratchiness in either tone adjustment.

The amp is in excellent cosmetic shape with all the correct switches and knobs and working lights on the meters. All the inputs are working fine and the pots are all silent.

The seller delivered them for me and I was ready with speaker wire and my iPod to test it out. With the speakers sitting on the floor in the middle of the room, this combo immediately blew me away! Needless to say, I am very happy with my purchase. At $200.00 for the amp and speakers, not a complete steal, but with the condition of the items, and the way they sound together, this was a great purchase. Sorry, I don't have a camera, but a Google search for "Frazier Buckaroo" will lead you to a thread on Audio Karma, where someone has opened up their Buckaroos. Also, someone in that thread had some specs that he got from an old 1970 ad.

Looks like a Mk IV with two tweets instead of a horn. Very nice score, and the CA-610II is so slouch.

AK thread here.

From Dallas Craigslist, I bought a pair of Buckaroos In excellent condition. Along with those I bought a Yamaha CA 610II Integrated Amp. Cost of both: $200.00.

The Buckaroo cabinets are in great shape as are the grills. One is missing the badge and has a bad bottom left corner that has been repaired. Otherwise, all the corners are sharp and no scratches. The grills have a copper colored metal mesh over the fabric. Very cool! There is no noise or scratchiness in either tone adjustment.

The amp is in excellent cosmetic shape with all the correct switches and knobs and working lights on the meters. All the inputs are working fine and the pots are all silent.

The seller delivered them for me and I was ready with speaker wire and my iPod to test it out. With the speakers sitting on the floor in the middle of the room, this combo immediately blew me away! Needless to say, I am very happy with my purchase. At $200.00 for the amp and speakers, not a complete steal, but with the condition of the items, and the way they sound together, this was a great purchase. Sorry, I don't have a camera, but a Google search for "Frazier Buckaroo" will lead you to a thread on Audio Karma, where someone has opened up their Buckaroos. Also, someone in that thread had some specs that he got from an old 1970 ad.

According to the AK post, it's a 10" woofer. I have them sitting right next to my early Mark V's. The seem to be about 75% the size of the Mark V's, but about the same shape proportionally. The slot is vented toward the front. They put out some great bass for thier size!

The resident Frazier hoarder here considered having those shipped to me but I passed. Glad the went to a good home. Design I see on AK reminds me of my early Mark V's. What size woofer is that?

post-39206-13819638746258_thumb.jpg

Where is PM? I haven't seen anything from him in months!

Been going through a very difficult move since January. Still.

I did suggest that that the Buckaroo was similar to a Mk IV, with two tweets instead of a horn.

Hello all. I am a newcomer to not just Frazier speakers, but the world of hi-fi audio in general. I'm hoping to learn more and improve my sound system over time too. I'm just a college student with next-to-no income so I do what I can.

A friend of mine basically gave me these Frazier Mark V speakers, and I had some old kinda mediocre-at-best Technics receiver which I've replaced with a Denon DRA-685 Stereo receiver. As far as my ears can tell, this is a very good sounding setup, though I've know much better is probably out there to. I primarily listen to music on these things, either high-quality audio from my computer or from my Technics vinyl player (left over from the old technics receiver I had).

Anyway, my point with all of this (aside from introducing myself) is to inquire about the quality of these Frazier speakers I have. I really like more vintage speakers, and have no problem having massive speakers sitting on my desk. I hear tube receivers are best for these speakers, but my Denon will have to do for now... haha. I noticed my speakers tend to sound a bit better balanced with older recordings too, like from 70s. Then again so much modern music is of crappy and harsh production I'm not entirely surprised.

Trying to get some pictures for you to see soon.

Hello all. I am a newcomer to not just Frazier speakers, but the world of hi-fi audio in general. I'm hoping to learn more and improve my sound system over time too. I'm just a college student with next-to-no income so I do what I can.

A friend of mine basically gave me these Frazier Mark V speakers, and I had some old kinda mediocre-at-best Technics receiver which I've replaced with a Denon DRA-685 Stereo receiver. As far as my ears can tell, this is a very good sounding setup, though I've know much better is probably out there to. I primarily listen to music on these things, either high-quality audio from my computer or from my Technics vinyl player (left over from the old technics receiver I had).

Anyway, my point with all of this (aside from introducing myself) is to inquire about the quality of these Frazier speakers I have. I really like more vintage speakers, and have no problem having massive speakers sitting on my desk. I hear tube receivers are best for these speakers, but my Denon will have to do for now... haha. I noticed my speakers tend to sound a bit better balanced with older recordings too, like from 70s. Then again so much modern music is of crappy and harsh production I'm not entirely surprised.

Trying to get some pictures for you to see soon.

Welcome to the group. I am new to Frazier also, and really like what I hear. [Y]

Welcome!

IMO speakers are half or more of the determing
factor in your system. You're off to a great start and we would all
LOVE to see some pics. These are some of the best speakers out there
and no one knows it. So you have a decision to make, tell your friends
and potentially ruin chances of you finding more for yourself........or
not telling them. In any event, should you ever decide to sell them by
all means give us here on the forums a chance too.

Mark