Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

Some of you in the Phoenix area need to get your asses over to this garage sale ebfore someone else does!

He lists the Fraziers as an afterthought!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bik/2286907400.html

Original 1974 Schwinn Stingray boys bicycle $250.00 ----- all original
parts, in excellent condition. Blue with white seat. -----

Can be seen at a community yard sale this weekend. Saturday only, March. 26th, 7am – 1pm

--- 2415 W. Greenway Rd. --- Just East of the I-17 ---

Also, a Hot Wheels car collection (all still sealed), KangGoo
boots, over 1,000 record albums, vintage Frazier speakers, and JBL 4606
+ L20t3 speakers.

I noticed my speakers tend to sound a bit better balanced with older recordings too, like from 70s. Then again so much modern music is of crappy and harsh production I'm not entirely surprised.

Can't recall ever giving my

TRVTH

award to first post from a newbie, but trvth is trvth.

Lot of it in your post. Mark V's are a marvelous speaker that offers more realism and bass than a box that size really should, and does so on a very small watt diet. For a college size room, a Dyna SCA-35 would be a near perfect match for those with fine phono stage if you can find one.

Welcome the FUG...if you get the bug too badly you're gonna need a bigger pad.

Dave

Ha, thanks for the "TRVTH" award... seems I've got something right at least :). Yeah, a vintage tube-powered amp would be amazing to acquire one day. By the way, my vinyl player is a Technics SL-D2 (Direct Drive)... is that any good?

I just talked to my friend who gave me the speakers a bit ago... he said he's pretty sure his dad replaced (or had someone replace) the woofer in one of the speakers. I'm not sure how to tell; the woofers look the same to me. I noticed in the center of many of the speakers is a dent... not sure how they got there, and not sure how detrimental to the sound quality that is either. Also, I don't really know if it has an ordinary tweeter or not (then again I may not know the difference between a regular tweeter and a horn and etc). Anyway, here are the pictures:

Left:

DSCN0838.JPG
From Sound System

Right:

DSCN0867.JPG
From Sound System

Label:

DSCN0876.JPG
From Sound System

Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself here since I've just acquired a nice pair of Frazier Mk V speakers from a nice fellow here in AZ which he said were made in 1963 judging from the serial #. I absolutely LOVE them! I also own a pair of Klipsch Heresys (which the Fraziers walk all over), two pair of AR-3as (one pair with the original alnico woofer, the other with the later woofer), a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s, two pair of original Large Advents, etc. etc., yet these Fraziers are right up there with the best of them. Truly astounding speakers! I plan to replace the original grill cloth if possible (I'd rather not, but I hate the color (burgundy) and the cigarette smell). The pots work perfectly and the cabinets are in at least decent condition. I'll post pics soon.

I can't get over how glorious these speakers sound. I plan to check back here often to keep up on things. Talk to you soon...

Oh, by the way, I need another Frazier badge. Anyone know where I might acquire one?

Well, you are screwed now! Welcome to the FUG, what was once a super secret group taking these obsolete and unwanted boxes to help people downsize and recycling them as good citizens should.

As a reward, we get better speakers than most will ever hear or own.

Of course, now you have to keep collecting until you need a bigger house.

Dave

LOL Thanks for the warm welcome, but I do have a 3 car garage and a moderately large house, so I should be fine at least for a little while. I'm more worried about my wife, actually. She loves music, but can't seem to understand why I need more than two or three pairs of speakers (at last count I believe I have 15 pair or so). She's probably right, but now I'll have to sell a few pair to make room for some more Fraziers. I'd like a pair of Monte Carlos to go with my Mk Vs.

I'd like a pair of Monte Carlos to go with my Mk Vs.

MC's are, in my opinion, the finest price/size/performance speaker ever designed. Chamber music at realistic levels on them don't sound markedly better even on Eleven's or Klipschorns.

If a Quaker were designing a loudspeaker to please God, it would probably look just like an MC.

'Tis a gift to be simple...

Dave

"If a Quaker were designing a loudspeaker to please God, it would probably look just like an MC.

'Tis a gift to be simple.."

I'm looking for a pen and notepad -- gotta write this down before I forget it.

I purchased my first Monte Carlos when I was a virgin and before I owned a car...either problem which could have been solved for considerably less than the price of the Monte Carlos.

I still have those, though a lot of cars and women have come and gone.

Lasting value, donchaknow.

Dave

"If a Quaker were designing a loudspeaker to please God, it would probably look just like an MC.

'Tis a gift to be simple.."

I'm looking for a pen and notepad -- gotta write this down before I forget it.

I purchased my first Monte Carlos when I was a virgin and before I owned a car...either problem which could have been solved for considerably less than the price of the Monte Carlos.

I still have those, though a lot of cars and women have come and gone.

Lasting value, donchaknow.

Dave

Similar story, but I did have a car and likely had gotten that virgin thing out of the way when I purchased my Capsules in 1971. The Capsules are still working great (I'm still wearing the watch I bought in 1971). And, in my case, lots of cars have come and gone.

I'm wondering how many others in our group bought their Fraziers new during the Jack Frazier era?

Those are Mark V's and they are not horns. The dents in the dust caps will not hurt anything. They are dust and dirt barriers bascially. Do these speakers have rectangular slots in the lower back side?

Yeah, a slot about one inch (or so) high runs down the back; I assumed it was porting for better bass response and what-not.