Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

I assumed it was porting for better bass response and what-not.

Actually the heart and soul of Jack's designs. That Helmholtz loading is responsibile for the efficiency and that efficiency is responsible for the smoothness of the overall sound at a variety of listening levels.

No other designer ever took full advantage of this before or since.

One of my favorite qualities of Frazier designs is the grace with which the bass rolls off. The MC is a sterling example where even when listening to organ you don't sense a sudden loss of bottom. It just rolls off smoothly and almost indetectably. What is there is there with authority, and what is not is hardly missed.

Dave

Those must have been early-early Mark V-As as mine I bought in 1976 had the tweeter to the side with a nice plate with both mid and high level controls right next to each other to the side of the tweeter. I later got a second Motorola tweeter and rebuilt the speaker as a Mark VIIa with the Helmholtz resonator slot up the full side of the front of the speaker. Very good sounding speakers for their day.

Those are Mark V's and they are not horns. The dents in the dust caps will not hurt anything. They are dust and dirt barriers bascially. Do these speakers have rectangular slots in the lower back side?

I'll be pedantic and point out that those Motorola piezos are indeed horns, just piezo-driven ones.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I picked up two pairs of what I'm thinking are Dixielanders and need to sell a pair of them.

I've never owned this model before and had to hear them so I bought both pairs (seller wouldn't split them)

How much should I ask for a pair of them?

Excellent sounding, 10" woofers, Horn on top, average to good condition with a few spots on them where he had them hanging up by chains.

I've cleaned them up and touched them up. Sorry for the way they look in the pics but they look WAY better now.

post-24628-13819639233318_thumb.jpg

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I picked up two pairs of what I'm thinking are Dixielanders and need to sell a pair of them.

I've never owned this model before and had to hear them so I bought both pairs (seller wouldn't split them)

Excellent sounding, 10" woofers, Horn on top, average to good condition with a few spots on them where he had them hanging up by chains.

I've cleaned them up and touched them up. Sorry for the way they look in the pics but they look WAY better now.

About $75, and I'll swing by to get them.[:D]

Actually you're a bit too far away for me, but they're fantastic speakers (was groovin' on my pair last night). They're worth a bundle, but what a person would pay is something different. They'd be a steal at $300.

This is an open "Frazier" thread, so don't worry about hijack. Good luck on the sale.

As Tim said, they are priceless. However, the market isn't that large and so they are bargains generally. Hopefully, you'll get what you paid plus a reasonable proft. Best deal would be if you can get the ones you are keeping for free.

I'm sure you'll get some offers from this bunch.

I'd love to make an offer, but I'd have to listen to them alone if I did...

Dave

I didn't see anywhere to start a new post on these.

I am definitely keeping one pair of them. They're a very nice sounding speaker. I was quite surprised after I fired them up. I'd read they are bass shy and best left in the theater but what I found was a very good speaker not lacking in any area. They're a treat on tubes.

Thank you.

Harry

I didn't see anywhere to start a new post on these.

You don't/can't. But you can change the subject heading (see above).

I am definitely keeping one pair of them. They're a very nice sounding speaker. I was quite surprised after I fired them up. I'd read they are bass shy and best left in the theater but what I found was a very good speaker not lacking in any area. They're a treat on tubes.

Thank you.

Harry

Looking at the Dixielanders, it's not hard to see where PWK got his inspiration for the Golden Jubilee.

As Tim said, they are priceless. However, the market isn't that large and so they are bargains generally. Hopefully, you'll get what you paid plus a reasonable proft. Best deal would be if you can get the ones you are keeping for free.

I'm sure you'll get some offers from this bunch.

I'd love to make an offer, but I'd have to listen to them alone if I did...

Dave

No way the pair I keep will be free. That would be ideal but I've wanted a pair of Fraziers for a while now. These were only a few blocks down the road from me and less than ebay prices. At least I thought so anyway. A nice single sold for $255 last week so I guess it's why I paid what I did for mine.

I point out constantly around here when someone says some Fraziers or the other are over priced that the only real comparison is if they are priced higher than what you'd have to pay to get a new speaker that sounded as good.

That's my bottom line. NIB Frazier Monte Carlos are easily "worth" 600.00 at a minimum when compared to the available competition. I calculated my Elevens to have a new value of north of 10k just counting dollar inflation...not labor or materials.

Even though Frazier prices have shot up since I started flapping my jaws here a few years back, they remain dirt cheap for the performance.

BTW, PM, the first Dixielander I ever saw was sitting in PWK's Hope workshop. I just asked him what it was and he called it a Dixielander without mentioning he hadn't built it. For years I thought it was either a product Klipsch had quit making or never put into production.

Dave

Very good sounding speakers for their day.

Well, if you haven't heard any lately you may find they remain amongst the finest available.

Good to hear from you, Peter. Quite a bit of discussion as to your whereabouts, as you may have noticed, in the "early forum ids" thread.

Dave

The Motorola piezo's are horns. They had to work with us to get the ones we wanted to be a little more efficient, which they did, for an exrtra $.25 a horn, and we called the " Piezo-electric super horns" on the 11 spec sheet. on the rest they were just f4-25 piezo-electric horns although they were the same horns.

I point out constantly around here when someone says some Fraziers or the other are over priced that the only real comparison is if they are priced higher than what you'd have to pay to get a new speaker that sounded as good.

That's my bottom line. NIB Frazier Monte Carlos are easily "worth" 600.00 at a minimum when compared to the available competition. I calculated my Elevens to have a new value of north of 10k just counting dollar inflation...not labor or materials.

Even though Frazier prices have shot up since I started flapping my jaws here a few years back, they remain dirt cheap for the performance.

BTW, PM, the first Dixielander I ever saw was sitting in PWK's Hope workshop. I just asked him what it was and he called it a Dixielander without mentioning he hadn't built it. For years I thought it was either a product Klipsch had quit making or never put into production.

Dave

I'm going to list the Dixielanders in the Garage Sale section later today with better pics.

I can ship them by removing the horns and ship them in a seperate box. It will be three boxes total to ship. I can pack them safe for shipping.

Email preferrably as I don't check my pm often.

Harry

Have heard that these are a scam. So if anyone wants to get them via shipping.....don't do it!

-----------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd try to sell these again after not getting any interest.
I'm not going much lower than $100 for the pair though. They only
handle 50 watts each but they sound good.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 2292374494-0 image 2292374494-1