Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

I would say they are worth more like 100 in all honesty. I was only joking. Cabinet condition is everything with any vintage speaker.

Are you in the Tyler "Yellow Rose Flower Capital"? Texas?! I remember that Tyler!

Ha Ha. I will see if I can get some pics posted in the next week or so. I don't have them on me, they are still in storage. Im in Tyler, TX, about 100 miles east of Dallas. Supposedly these were the last set ever made.Bummer they're not worth anything, as I cant keep them due to they're enormous size.

What is worth? (to paraphrase a famous Roman governor)

My thoughts:

1) They are worth far more than you can probably get for them, both as speakers (how much would you have to spend to match their performance today?) and as collectibles (but it's an under-appreciated brand with a small, but growing, base).

2) Elevens go to knowledgeable people from $300 to $800 a pair. They get stolen for less.

3) Sevens, Mk Vs, and Dixielanders bring between $250 and $500, depending upon condition.

4) If you want to just get them out of your way, $100 will fetch a buyer from Dallas or Houston. I'd post them on Craigslist in Dallas, Austin and Houston for $400 and see what happens. $300 might be a good goal, $100 a guaranteed sale.

YMMV

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah Im in the rose capitol. Fascinating how rare these speakers are. I'll try and pull them out of storage here in the next couple of weeks and get some pics up. Can't wait to get these babies hooked up and hear em wail!

I've em'd this seller 3x over the past 2 weeks. He's not responsive. Either they're sold, or he forgot he put the ad on CL, and

never checks his em. No phone contact info on the advert! Let that be a lesson to all of us who advertise on CL>

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah Im in the rose capitol. Fascinating how rare these speakers are. I'll try and pull them out of storage here in the next couple of weeks and get some pics up. Can't wait to get these babies hooked up and hear em wail!

I'm in Rockwall, TX. I would be interested in checking out these speakers if you can't find a good home for them. Good luck with the speakers and have fun!

There is a great set of Concerto-D's on e-bay right now. This, along with the Capsule-D (black box) is probably the best cube loudspeaker that Jack ever built. It had the great "horn" sound, and the smoothness of the dome tweeter. A little pricey I think but a neat pair of Frazier's.

Frazier Concerto-D Speakers Working Great Amazing Sound - eBay (item 170651714

how would you compare these to the mark5's ?............i have a pair of mk5's in good condition/sound great but would be intrested in these concerto's if there better.........i also have a pair of 7's in fair condition, but they need reconing , maby i should just get them reconed.

I got this for $50 off CL here in Tucson a week ago, but I can't figure out what model it is. It sounds pretty good (a lot like my Mk5's) and will clean up beautifully (I'll refinish it later), but unfortunately, I have only this one. I doubt I'll ever find another, but I know I'll find a use for it somehow. It weighs about 70 pounds or so and has very nice walnut veneer that should restore nicely. It has rear slot ports from top to bottom on both sides. The dimensions are 16 deep by 25.75 wide by 26.75 high not including the attached base. Any ideas?

Posted Image

It has a 12" woofer, an 8" mid-range, and a 3x7" horn tweeter. For best response, open the pots all the way. Jack's commercial eq, rubbed off on the home models too. If you have control,s all the way open is flat. Then you can adjust down for room accoustics. Jack's thought was that instead of positive eq, which added distortion to the over all room, you'd smooth out the peaks by passive eq, thus less distortion in the total system. You should have heard the Omni in Atlanta in it's day. 105 db to EVERY seat in the house (17,000) it was unreal!!!!!

My dad has a pair of Mk VI A that he bought in the mid to late 70's from the hifi shop in Altus, Ok that I've seen mentioned a few other times here. They have been played (aggressively) every single day since then as a part of his home theater system. They have survived everything from John Denver and Charlie Daniels to Slayer & Metallica...from Close Encounters to Top Gun to Saving Private Ryan & he has never even had to have them serviced. I've never seen anything like it. They still sound as good as they did 35 years ago. I'm no expert but if there has ever been a better all around speaker for the size/money, I don't know what it would be.

Congrats on the find and here's hoping you have a chance to match her up some day. I've got an early Manhattan and a Monte Carlo that both need siblings.

If I can ever remember to get on my home PC, I will post pics of my newest purchase(s). I bought two pair and a single from a local guy for a nice price. The single Monte Carlo is in perfect condition, the Monte Carlo As both need refoam & the pair of what I believe to be Midgets are needing a re-wire. The As & Midgets cabinets are in rough shape but I've already hit them with some Howard Feed-N-Wax and they are coming around nicely. Pics to follow.

If I can ever remember to get on my home PC, I will post pics of my newest purchase(s). I bought two pair and a single from a local guy for a nice price. The single Monte Carlo is in perfect condition, the Monte Carlo As both need refoam & the pair of what I believe to be Midgets are needing a re-wire. The As & Midgets cabinets are in rough shape but I've already hit them with some Howard Feed-N-Wax and they are coming around nicely. Pics to follow.

I have a pair of Monte Carlo A's as well. I am interested in your refoam project. I have had the back of my cabinets off, but not the grills. My woofers sound great, so I haven't inspected the surrounds. For some reason, I have assumed that they had pleated cloth surrounds, not requiring a refoam.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff510/mcmhound/fraziermontecarloa.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff510/mcmhound/fraziermontecarloa3.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff510/mcmhound/fraziermontecarloa2.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff510/mcmhound/fraziermontecarloa1.jpg

I would have included the cabinets but they are not much to look at (yet). Here is a look at the innards, including the strips of foam that have now deteriorated and fallen out.

Mr. Crane, any good stories related to "J.D."?