Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

OK guys...I have a pair of Mark IVD's that I bought off the reject pile (where we kept finished product, with blemishes that we couldn't sell to the public) as I was leaving Frazier in 1983. Sonic-wise, they are fine. The cabinets are a little rough. The bottom's would have to be re-finshed, as they sat on stands for 20some years with no protection on the bottoms. I gave them to my step-son at age 14...and got them back yesterday. He and my grandson have gone way digital...with mp3's and the like. He gave them back to me,so I'm going to put them up on e-bay, or craigslist, but I thought I'd see if anybody on here would be interested in them. 200 bucks plus shipping... I'd keep them, but the wife claims I have too many Frazier's, so if you are interested, call me at 843/651-4695, or e-mail me @ MrCsBikes@1ol.com.

Sid Zimit, of Audio By Zimit fame in Rossalyn, LI, NY (sp?) went into Atlantic Recording Studios in NY in 1972, re-worked their whole sound system, and eq'd the studio, using Frazier passive eq stuff. The first recording, using the new sound that Sid did in the studio, was a recording by Roberta Flack of " The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." If you really want to hear some PURE sound, here is the link for you tube. Jack and Sid...wow what a pair. Sid was the # 1 Frazier dealer in the world. He did about 25% of our output for years!

YouTube - ?Roberta Flack "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (1972)??

Now bear in mind that this is just my pissy little opinion but the "Things" look better with grills on! Now I know how they got their name! Interesting way that they mount the horns. Not the usual Frazier way of doing that.

In other news......does anyone have the specs of early Manhattans? Not the 3's but earlier canecloth or beige cloth versions.These have slots at the front on the top and bottom. They are not the foam grill variety.

I've gottne bitten by the Frazier bug and wonder if I could get some guidance? I have a pair of Dixielanders that I think have a bad woofer (that way when I bought them). On the suspect speaker, the sound is clean at low levels but when increased to a moderate level, there is woofer distortion (sounds like garden variety voice coil rub) and the amp goes into protection mode. My guess is the driver has been thermally overloaded and the longer excursions push the voice coil to a point where it lacks insulation. I have yet to open the cabinet and, before doing so, I would appreciate any tips on what I should look for...particularly if the cause may be other than the driver (doubtful, I realize). If it is the driver, are replacements easily found? If not, are recones of both woofers possible and recommended? I also have a pair of Super Midgets with one blown driver. Should I replace both with Bose 901 Series I drivers or look for an original replacement? The other Fraziers I have may be Black boxes (no model indicated, just "Frazier" emblem on grill); 8 inch 2-way w/ cone tweeter, dual slot-loaded on back, black walnut cabinets, 23-3/8"h x 24"w x 12"d. Thanks!

You sure you have 8" woofers in your Dixies? You don't see that often. Todd will correct me if I'm wrong but you should be able to use a Mark IV woofer as a replacement?! Those measure 9" and are really classified as 10's I believe. So come to think of it, where are the 8's used Todd? Dave? Mike? Summer? Anyone?

Any pics of your black boxes? I'd be interested in seeing those!

Mark

open the rear of your dixielanders, and pull the woofer. Measure it. There were two Dixie's made. The early ones had an 8" driver. The later ones had a 10" drivier. The 10" is the same that was used in the Mark IV, or the Capsule or the Concerto. The 8" driver would be the same that was used in the Monte Carlo, or the black boxes. When you meausre the woofers, measure from outside edge to outside edge. Freeman Tuel (sp?) in Dallas Tx, has been there for years and would be the best place to have your drivers re-coned.

I've gottne bitten by the Frazier bug and wonder if I could get some guidance? I have a pair of Dixielanders that I think have a bad woofer (that way when I bought them). On the suspect speaker, the sound is clean at low levels but when increased to a moderate level, there is woofer distortion (sounds like garden variety voice coil rub) and the amp goes into protection mode. My guess is the driver has been thermally overloaded and the longer excursions push the voice coil to a point where it lacks insulation. I have yet to open the cabinet and, before doing so, I would appreciate any tips on what I should look for...particularly if the cause may be other than the driver (doubtful, I realize). If it is the driver, are replacements easily found? If not, are recones of both woofers possible and recommended? I also have a pair of Super Midgets with one blown driver. Should I replace both with Bose 901 Series I drivers or look for an original replacement? The other Fraziers I have may be Black boxes (no model indicated, just "Frazier" emblem on grill); 8 inch 2-way w/ cone tweeter, dual slot-loaded on back, black walnut cabinets, 23-3/8"h x 24"w x 12"d. Thanks!

After you measure your woofers, tell us. I have a spare set of 10" Frazier woofers I might be willing to part with.

Mark - thanks for the response...also to the person who made mention of the spare 10" woofers (not certain if that was you). I was assuming they were 8" woofers based on the thru hole...here are a couple of photos:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/jaquesofspeed/Frazier%20Speakers/Picture096.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/jaquesofspeed/Frazier%20Speakers/Picture098.jpg

Also, there's some white schmutz around one logo on the (I think) Black Boxes...my thought is to sparingly use a mild detergent/water & a soft toothbrush to attempt to remove it...or should I just leave it?