Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

Todd, PMSUMMER - thanks for the infor as well (didn't see your posts)...reviewing your info. Hope the photos help identify the model I think are Black Boxes.

I've probably confused things a bit...here are the Frazier models I have:

- Super Midgets (blown driver)

- Black Boxes, I think (play fine)

- Dixielanders (bad woofer, I think)

Jaques, those are REAL old Black Box 1's, but I don't remember what they were called finished...They were produced back in the late 50's or early 60's, and up until the early70's probably the best thing Jack Frazier ever made, although they could use a little high end help, but the base was OUTSTANDING, clean and tight for that light-duty 8" driver. You have yourself some GREAT vintage Frazier's. Congrats.

Todd - thanks a million. You're spot-on with your assessment of their sound. They're going to stay completely stock.

If possible, I'd like to find an original replacement driver for the Super Midgets (one is sitting on top of the one of the Black Boxes in the photo...same wood which I believe is Black Walnut and same cosmetics/wood as the Black Boxes...it looks as if the Super Midgets had feet or stand-offs that were removed from the bottom of the cabinets). Thanks again and I'll be starting the excavation on the Dixielanders in the next few week and report my findings.

Those look like Del Mars to me. Or something like that. Pictures are too dark to see the finish. Stained plywood? Veneer (my guess). I think I can make out a trim piece around the grill. Interesting.

Same "module" as the Black Box, but I don't think any BB had scalloped sides, arched back board and horizontal alignment.

Jaques..You'll have to take the back off the Midget, and take the speaker out, and measure it. It will eith be a 4" driver, or a 5 1/2" driver. The 4" will be easy to find. Yes an early Bose (cough, Cough) 4" driver will work fine, since they stole our driver, and had it made for themselves YEARS and years ago. The 5 1/2" will be harder to replace.

Some additional photos (cosmetics/wood are the same for Super Midgets and quasi Black Boxes):

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/jaquesofspeed/Frazier%20Speakers/Picture169.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/jaquesofspeed/Frazier%20Speakers/Picture167.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/jaquesofspeed/Frazier%20Speakers/Picture168.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/jaquesofspeed/Frazier%20Speakers/Picture165.jpg

Black Boxes serial numbers are 11593 & 12105. Have been listening to all 4 discs of the "Citizen Steely Dan" box on them (hearing things I haven't heard before and I've listened to many of these tunes hundreds of times over the decades...old f'art)...anxious to listen to the Dixielanders as what I heard in my prelim listen was tantalizing.

WOW! Those are some great looking BB's and the small "arc" on the back reminds me of old furniture washboards or dressers of the 60's (Sorta, kinda) However as Todd mentioned, yes they are a great example of the earlier Fraziers. The cabs don't look too bad either. Maybe a Watco refinish job of some sort and clean up the griil cloth and they're almost like new!

Thanks for sharing.

Where are you located anyway?! As everyone here will tell you, I'm the resident Frazier hoarder! (I'm in the Carolina's)

Todd, thanks for the info on the Delmar's. Am I correct in assuming they are the same configuration (drivers, x-overs, internal cabinet volume, loading) as the Black Box I's? Just asking so I can associate any specs, etc. I might see in the future.

Also, as you know I'd like to replace the blown Super Midget driver with an original 4" one (unless it's cost prohibitive and them I'd settle for a pair of Bose Series I drivers and make my single one available). Any sources, suggestions, etc.?

pmsummer - I see you were the first to properly indentify them as the Del Mar model...thank you. Am I correct in assuming they are the same configuration (drivers, x-overs, internal cabinet volume, loading) as the Black Box I's? Just asking so I can associate any specs, etc. I might see in the future.

Do you know of a source for an original 4" Super Midget driver? If I were to replace both with Bose 901 drivers, would you recommend Series I drivers?

Maybe you guys remember my sending you to Bill Wadkins, Jack's Engineering wiz, who designed the Frazier amps, and worked with White with Frazier's commercial eq stuff, etc. I just learned last night, that Bill passed away last March. He was 83. If you want to see the obit, just google William A. Wadkins, Jr. and go to the Dallas Morning News web site. Bill was quite a fellow, he did a lot for Jack, in the 17 years he was at Frazier. Matter of fact, he is the only one that stayed on to help after the Company was sold after Jack's death in 1983. Bill was a devout person, and I'm sure now rests in God's loving arms.

Todd

• 5 weeks later...

Just picked up a really nice set of Seven-A. Great condition, including grills. But the woofers have slits in the surrounds... any advice on reconing them or even replacing them with something newer/better? Will be in touch about rebuilding the crossovers also...

Thanks! Danny

The first thing to do is get them re-coned. Depending on where you are. Why re-build the crossover? If it ain't broke , don't fix it LOL. I have Frazier's from the 80's, 70's, 60's, and 50's with NOTHING changed in them! I'd say get them re-coned rather than trying to improve them (what is in there was to Jack's specs, and the best fit for the cabinets.) Then sit back and enjoy the music that those SEVEN's will play for you.

Todd, What are the "A's" anyway? Piezos or horns? I have a couple pair of 12's somewhere. Where is this guy located and his he new (hope he's nopt a flipper! Sell them to us if you are dude!) or is he genuine? I'll help out our guys. Flippers are on your own!

Just picked up a really nice set of Seven-A. Great condition, including grills. But the woofers have slits in the surrounds... any advice on reconing them or even replacing them with something newer/better? Will be in touch about rebuilding the crossovers also...

Thanks! Danny

If the surrounds have slits, as opposed to the cones, no need to recone them. Just replace the surrounds. If you want them done professionally, send them to Freeman-Tuell in Dallas.