Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

Actually, there were three steps to every Frazier Loudspeaker. The first was the wood working shop, where all the sides etc were cut and matched up, and made into the boxes. The fingerprints came from the fellow's in the "paint room" who finished the box, thus the fingerprints. Notice that the inside of every home speaker had walnut veneer also, even though it wasn't finished, it just made the cabinet stronger. Then one fellow wound the coils, matched the drivers, and assembled the finished product, and put their names inside, with the date. Then the packer oiled them down, placed wax paper over, and boxed them. Usually they were shipped the same day, or the next day cause we were usually a week or so behind...

Todd, who owns the Frazier home speaker designs now? You noted recently that when the initial owners sold off the professional line they simply shut down the home line.

Anyone who began producing these today would starve to death in a grocery store if they couldn't turn a profit...

There are plenty of crappy, overpriced, brand name builders getting along just fine to prove it.

Dave

Anyone know what Frazier recommended with regard to optimal placement of their speakers? I am using a pair of La Fiesta oriented vertically on 6- inch stands, and about 13 inches from the back wall, toed-in slightly. They are being driven by a Scott 222 integrated amp. They sound okay, although a bit bass shy. I was wondering if I need to try to get them closer to the back wall, as one might do with a conventional box, but I am not sure if I need to compensate one way or another for the rear-firing slots?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I have a pair of early Mark V speakers with cone tweeters that NEVER seemed to sound good. Until recently! Ihad them on the floor, 5" from rear wall, toed in and cranked up. (no eq on my pre's so the sound I get is the sound I get!) In short, play around. The resonator slot on mine is in the front. I wouldn't give that feature much consideration personally. Room treatments and the like will make more of a difference in my mind. Hell, try them with a small solid state unit to see what that does too. Let us know how you make out!

Mark

Anyone know what Frazier recommended with regard to optimal placement of their speakers? I am using a pair of La Fiesta oriented vertically on 6- inch stands, and about 13 inches from the back wall, toed-in slightly. They are being driven by a Scott 222 integrated amp. They sound okay, although a bit bass shy. I was wondering if I need to try to get them closer to the back wall, as one might do with a conventional box, but I am not sure if I need to compensate one way or another for the rear-firing slots?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike.

I recently bought a pair of La Fiesta's. I simply brought them home set them in front of my Khorns in my main system about 8" away horozontally on top of a set of 24"tall speakers toed in the same as the Khorns.I unhooked the Khorns and hooked up the La Fiesta's and left everything else the same. In my system I use an SVS Ultra sub which gives these little guys all of the bass they needed. Let me just say I could not believe the sound as the imaging was fantastic and the high were very clear. I ended up hooking the Khorns and the La Fiestas up to a speaker selector box so I was able to switch back and forth during the same song. It was amazing how well these little Fraziers stood up to the almighty Khons. My conclusion is either something is wrong with my Khorns or these are great little speakers. I may never listen to them again but I definately will never sell them !

Definately get a SUB !

Don

• Like 1

IMO, the La Fiestas were meant to be bookshelf speakers, not free-standing (by bookshelf, I mean probably sitting either in a bookshelf, or on top of one). I'd suggest you try getting them pretty close to the wall (4-6"), and parallel to the wall.

Thanks,

Mike

Right now, due to reorg going on in the house, my Vs are my main personal listening system. The are in the corners, toed in, about 13' apart on stands that tilt them up slightly and are about 10" off the floor. Sound is awesome. I have a sub in there coupled at 80hz. 32hz organ pipes and you can't really tell where the crossover happens.

I am very good with it and on most material I find it comparable to the K'horns. Not that I am not looking forward to getting my K'horns back in service, though.

Dave

I moved them to 2" away from, and parallel with the back wall. I also put them on 12" stands. The bass is better, probably the best that I can expect with this size woofer. I was concerned that having them so close to the wall would degrade the sound stage, but it doesn't seem to have. I may try a bit taller stand and try to get the tweeter to somewhere around ear-level or even a bit above. With the tweeter mounted behind the baffle, I am suspicious that it might be a bit beamy.

Mike

I am changing my position on this a bit now. It really depends on what model you have and of course room size, acoustics, shape, etc.

Todd's suggestion for 1-3" from the wall sounds somewhat feasible. Practical?! Not sure. And of course there are the front firing speaks like IV's, V's, Sevens, etc. VI's are rear firing like Monte's and LaFeista's, Midgets, etc. I currently have my Sevens (pair #2) mounted on tilted speaker stands. I don't like this sound at all so I guess I need to make some Frazier copies. Straight up risers about 3-4" tall. Makes a huge difference which I'm sure would apply to my V's also.

I do agree with the smaller units being placed high, low, middle straight out parallel to the wall.

I'm currently considering removing my VI's black boxes and seeing if I can mount a pair of Dixies in them. This may be the only way my wife would let me have them in the house! I imagine Fraziers suggested Dixie placement had them hanging from a ceiling 12-18" below it or above head level?! Not sure. Todd?

All I know is don't ever give up on a pair. Try any and all placement options you can come up with. If you've given up on yours after trying that?! PM or email me! No matter where you are in the country, if it's something I don't have and is something I want? I go to huge lengths to get them! So what if it doesn't make any economic sense to most everyone. It makes ME happy!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Mark

• Like 1

Mark, the Fame speakers were never used in the X-15 to my knowledge. Fromo 1970 till 1983 we used the monster EV F-1577 (our #).Maybe longer, but that's when I was there. The cabinets sure do look cherry though. Speaker placement. We used the Frazier SS-1's to get the 4's or 5's, or any other med. weight speaker off the floor 6" and a 2 degree tilt Heavier speakers like the Concerto, 6's 7's, Thing's, and 11's, all had their own base, which was about 1 1/2 to 2" off the floor. That got them up above the carpet line, and kept the bass from getting muddy. Yes folks, the 7's came with a pair of 2" detached base units that could be made into to a square to sit them upright, or lay them end to end to lay them down. Thats why the original 7's had two horns mounted so one of them would give you good dispersin reguardless of speaker placement. I'm sure nobody has the original wooden bases for the 7's. I'm guessing the've been lost over time, like the foam grill's LOL. Todd

OK, here are a few shots of my Frazier Mk V's (version with the horn tweeter). They are completely original as far as I can tell and perform flawlessly. The tweeter and midrange adjustments on the rear work perfectly on both speakers. One badge is missing and the other is partly missing (see photos). The walnut veneer is far from perfect (I was planning to reveneer them), but it looks far better in person (flash pics are always unflattering) and is actually quite presentable if you don't look too close. I filled the areas where veneer is missing and sanded it smooth. I'm asking $199.00 plus $100.00 shipping anywhere in the CONUS or $165.00 if you come to Tucson to pick them up. I'll only accept a Paypal payment on these. Send me a PM if you're interested. Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image