Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

Spent the morning with Dave listening to Fraziers. Listened to 7's, Manhattan's, 4's, 5's, Midgets, and one set which were really four 4" speakers in the enclosure, and Concertos. I bought the later two. Had a great time listening to Nate talk about audio. If you can make out to West Virginia you MUST drop by and see Dave and Nate. It's like being in a candy store!

Thanks Dave!!

Edited by eth2

I've been loving my Manhattans. I have some huge Altec A5s in my LR and a pair of 604Ds in the den. The Fraziers are out in my man cave and even with all that great sound in the house, they never cease to amaze.

My son is heading off to Rensselaer this fall and I just picked him up an old Scott 299 amp as a going away present. I'd love for him to have a nice set of bookshelf Fraziers to go with it.

I've been loving my Manhattans. I have some huge Altec A5s in my LR and a pair of 604Ds in the den. The Fraziers are out in my man cave and even with all that great sound in the house, they never cease to amaze.

My son is heading off to Rensselaer this fall and I just picked him up an old Scott 299 amp as a going away present. I'd love for him to have a nice set of bookshelf Fraziers to go with it.

Nate has several pair from which to choose.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a recent Frazier owner, finding 2 pairs in the last 2 months. The first set is a pair of Mark V's with the 3x7 horn tweeter. What series is this ?

The second set is a pair of Super Texans I scored about 6 weeks ago. I've read they have a 7.5' horn length and the specs say 105db, but I think I read that Todd said they were actually 106db or so. The bass bins are rated to play from 35hz - 600hz, which is the crossover frequency. Is 35hz the -3db measurement, or does anyone have any experience on how low they play in an 18' x 22' room with 10' ceilings.

I haven't had a chance to play the Super Texans yet, but the Mark V's sound nice even though they, and the 40 year old HK 930 could both use some new caps.

How do the 7's, Mark V's with the piezo tweeter sound compared to the 3x7 horn tweeter? Just wondering as I passed on a pair of 7's here in Dallas a week or 2 ago because they had the piezos.

James

Dallas, Texas

Welcome, James. Most of the FUG folks are over at Facebook now. However, I think a few still check in here.

My response is general: I've heard a LOT of Frazier speakers. Each one is close to or best in class. When in good order and the price is right NEVER pass them up.

Dave

Welcome aboard James!

Good question. They called it "Usable frequency response" but I don't know the specifics, Todd would know. I do know Jack Frazier was a stickler for a flat response, like it should be.

Piezos were incorporated to replace the horns. Personal preference though. I suspect folks that love horn music are more for the horns. Piezos go up way higher in frequency, actually too far for some (HF distortion, dogs). Me, I think the horns would be OK if they weren't metal.

I have an HK stored away, 930 rings a bell. Was that the one labeled Twin Power and has a stainless steel front&knobs? A friend owed me $20 and that was the only way I could recoup from this spendthrift. The HK didn't work as it had been in close enough proximity to a fire that some of the internal wires melted which then fried some pre-amp transistors when he tried to turn it on. My dad helped me patch it up. Unfortunately mine was dropped by a friend when I was moving, he picked it up and didn't know it wasn't screwed to the wood cabinet. Landed on the front so the knobs are now hard to turn, still works though but needs some mechanical repair. Could probably use some transistor bias retune too.

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear of the damage to the HK. I attached a couple of pics of my HK 930 and Mark V's. The 430, 730 and 930 are pretty desirable and the dual mono or "Twin Powered" units as they called them, still have quite a following. The Mark V's are in nice shape, but they are in need of a recap and the grill on one has a snag on it. They do have both Frazier logos and I've found some grill cloth that has a similar look. I'll also be building some 2 1/2" risers for them. Projects for another day, or year from now.

The Super Texans are going to be a project. I just picked up a new pair of Eliptrac 400 horns locally and bought a pair of Faital Pro HF200 compression drivers from Bob Crites. They will play from 500-20K(-3db) without narrowing too much. Dont worry, the F333-300 horns and brackets are safely stashed away for a simple return to factory configuration if I change directions.

Could someone notify Todd and let him know I'd like to pick his brain on the Super Texan bass bins. I know he's over at Facebook, but I'm one of the last hold-outs I know of that doesn't have an account and have been fine without it. If I signed up, I would catch so much hell from my friends and family that I just can't bring myself to do it.

I read here the original Texans were the same cabinet with an 8" woofer, and the 12" , or "Super Texan", was built later to meet SPL requirements in commercial applications. I read that he preferred the original 8" design. I wonder which 8" driver it was. I'd like to keep my eye out for a pair on eBay for comparison sake.

Have great day,

James

post-58754-0-87940000-1407374127_thumb.j

post-58754-0-85260000-1407374134_thumb.j

post-58754-0-85860000-1407374140_thumb.j

Yep that's what my HK looks like. Buried too deep in stuff right now but I just found the manual. The manual describes the twin power - actually a stereo unit but its amps have completely separate power supplies to eliminate interaction and improve dynamic range. I guess the 930 is the highest power of the three at 45 W/ch.

Sounds like a fun project. 8" woofer sounds small, I would have thought no less than a 10" but Todd will know for sure. There was an 8" Dixielander.

Understood on the facebook. You might try contacting him here via a private message, that's how he first got in email contact with me:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/user/27633-todd-crane/

How do the 7's, Mark V's with the piezo tweeter sound compared to the 3x7 horn tweeter? Just wondering as I passed on a pair of 7's here in Dallas a week or 2 ago because they had the piezos.

James

Dallas, Texas

Hi James

The use of piezo tweeters in the Mark V and the Seven are wonderful. The Monte Carlo so equipped is amazing too. You certainly are in the right place to track them down.

Does anyone know what speakers used the F-1500 8" woofers? I think I read that they were made by Pyle in the late 70's early 80's. I just picked up 2 pairs from a guy on eBay. They were from columns with (4) of the F-1500 woofers and (2) of the 3x7 horn tweeters. I think they were F8-140 columns. I bought the tweeters too. I'm wondering if they were also used in Manhattans or Monte Carlos.

I was thinking I might build a Manhattan or Monte Carlo clone. I'm sure someone could put together a rough sketch of the crossover once I decide to.

Monte Carlos, mid-range for a Mark VI, Under Balcony Speaker, a commercial mid-range horn, maybe a small ceiling speaker, and of course that big column (there was a smaller column with 4"ers); I may be missing a few. I'm thinking the right size for a Manhattan but was probably something other than an F-1500 (Manhattan before my time but there were blue 8"ers with a bowl cover over the magnet). Of course all of those during my F-1500 era would have used a different woofer at some time before the F-1500 came along. The Piezo Monte Carlos used two different woofers as they transitioned from what looks like a woofer change.

I'm thinking the Manhattans and pre-Piezo Montes used dome tweeters. Again before my time.

If you go with a Piezo Monte let me know. Easy as no cross-over but there were two versions [Piezo phasing/polarity change as the tuning tube was shortened].

Edited by John Daggett

• 2 weeks later...

I know not many use this site anymore for Frazier stuff, but I have found a pair of Model 11's that are serial # 166 and 170, date in 166 is July of 1983 so they are some of the last 11's made. I'm looking to get as much information as I can to document these rare speakers. If anyone else that has 11's can contact me with any information please do. My email is builderman60@aol.com, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a pair of Frazier F12-4H's and have to say, I'm extremely impressed. Put them right beside my dad's Klipsch Heresy's and couldn't believe it. Does anybody have any specs on them? Also, I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Dixielanders and was wanting advice on how the two compare. Any advice?

I recently bought a pair of Frazier F12-4H's and have to say, I'm extremely impressed. Put them right beside my dad's Klipsch Heresy's and couldn't believe it. Does anybody have any specs on them? Also, I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Dixielanders and was wanting advice on how the two compare. Any advice?

Congrats! Unofficially about 35 Hz to 15 kHz (broader with some roll-off), efficiency about 100 dB SPL at 1 meter with 1 W rms power (very efficient!), power handling about 50 W rms (average, higher peak). About the same for the Dixies. Your 4H's are actually commercial [big-***] ceiling speakers, hence the side bass ports (for home use I suggest placing in a corner to 'horn out' that bass via your walls) and because of the ports may get a bit deeper bass than a Dixie. A Dixie, being a folded horn with a sizable HF horn on top, are more to project sound in a large room like a theater, etc.; Less fat, more filling. lol

There should be plenty of posts on those two here but you'd have to give their search a try. I believe there's some collectors that own both models. Many of the regulars are over on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/584410888260783/

One guy over there lifts his 4H's off the floor several inches (a common usage of many Frazier models to tighten up the bass).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok FUG,

I need a little help identifying my newly acquired Frazier speakers.  Not a drive by but just found a home here.  I'm a musician/newly promoted producer and ran by these and couldn't pass them up for the price.  The condition is incredible for their age.  In fact, I have no idea of their age.  I took one apart and took several photos and everything seems to be original as far as I can tell.  Please help the newly vintage speaker owner, thanks in advance.  I seem to be having issues uploading my photos due to the file size.  This is the only photo I can find that looks like what I have.  It's the speaker on the bottom right.  I'll work on compressing my photos so I can post them.

post-60341-0-01220000-1420004063_thumb.j

post-60341-0-87580000-1420005366_thumb.j

Edited by Stalwart141

Wow.   Never saw a dressed Dixielander.  The Frazier crowd (other than me, who started the whole thing that drove up the prices) have largely moved over to Frazier Users Group on Facebook.  There are two former Frazier employees there who pretty well know all there is to know, as well as other Frazier fans.  I'd suggest you go here.  That isn't to suggest you shouldn't stay here as well...PWK and Jack Frazier were mutual admirers and their speakers get along seamlessly, as my own systems attest. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Copied from my facebook comment: "Looks like some kind of rear-ported Black Box variation, probably more recent than a BB since it has a 3x7 horn rather than the old cone tweeter. Anyone remember what a Black Box II looks like? That external cabinet looks like the one for a Dixie in that product sheet, so I'm guessing it was a retrofit (notice the commercial paint job). It's certainly not a Dixie. I wonder if those were the Dixie cabinets Jack had his Dixies inside of in his home?"

• Like 1