Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

I finally got around to posting in this subgroup. I few months ago I bought a box of speakers off of CL, specifically because the lot contained a pair of Frazier 10" woofers, a pair of 8 inchers, a single 5 incher, as well as about a dozen MF and HF horns (Japanese Fosters).  I'm trying to figure out what to do with both woofer sets, they both came with wrapped inductors and 3.3 uF caps wired in, but no cabinets.  I want to get them into cabinets.  Any suggestions on size, volume, sealed or vented, etc?  I do have a pair of rough cabs I could use to test, they are 24" x 14" x 12".

Any thoughts from this group?

Thank you.

The Frazier Users Group has migrated to Facebook for the most part.  Although the Klipsch Forum and Facebook FUG share common members, I think they follow the Fraziers and are much more active there. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/584410888260783/

+++

Edit:  To answer your question, I have no idea what to do with the box full of Frazier drivers, but it sounds like a nice find!

Edited by wvu80

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I'll be, there have been posts here since last year. My stupid bookmark is done per page and I didn't notice that this changed to a new page.

altecstew, if you're still around (lol), there's probably* more Frazier cabinets out there needing new drivers (at least OEM drivers) then there are with good OEM drivers.

Now there were some guys here that made their own, one I know for sure was one of the Black Box models (I have a very well-constructed pair given to me by a very generous member that was scaling back his collection). So I suspect there may be plans here or elsewhere on the 'net for these and possibly others.

*I say "probably" because there has been an increase of scrappers selling drivers.

Question from a nubie.

I'd wager this has been asked before, but is there any chance of acquiring construction drawings for the Frazier folded and straight axis horn enclosures? I would gladly pay for reprints providing the price is reasonable.

H.F.

Welcome HF.  :)

Did you see the plans listed on the Frazier X-15 thread?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157588-frazier-x-15/

+++

There are people on the Klipsch board who own Fraziers, but the mainline Frazier group has moved to Facebook, some are members of both groups.  The FUG FB site is where most of the Frazier traffic is these days.

Frazier Users Group on Facebook

• Like 1

Question from a nubie.

I'd wager this has been asked before, but is there any chance of acquiring construction drawings for the Frazier folded and straight axis horn enclosures? I would gladly pay for reprints providing the price is reasonable.

H.F.

Welcome HF.  :)

Did you see the plans listed on the Frazier X-15 thread?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157588-frazier-x-15/

+++

There are people on the Klipsch board who own Fraziers, but the mainline Frazier group has moved to Facebook, some are members of both groups.  The FUG FB site is where most of the Frazier traffic is these days.

Frazier Users Group on Facebook

Thank you -

Oddly enough, it was a Google link that lead me to that very thread last night. I didn't know there was a Frazier group attached to the Klipch Community forum. The only construction plans I found on that thread was for an Onken enclosure, one I have had for many years. Nice photos of the X-15 however. I did apply for membership to the FUG FB page last night, perhaps I'll find some kind soul over there who may have drawing packages.

H.F.

Edited by Horn Fanatic

Guest Steven1963

Unfortunately the FUG has been slow of late just not a lot of activity. Also, VERY little information on the internet about Frazier as a whole. I can only conclude that Frazier was less interested in building a legacy than he was in making as much money as he could. Unlike Paul Klipsch, who very evidently loved what he did and made a lot of money as a side benefit.

• Like 2

Probably better luck attempting the search function here as not many left to answer questions.

"I can only conclude that Frazier was less interested in building a legacy than he was in making as much money as he could."

Nope, just a humble man. No interest in conquering the world or living high on the hog. I know the area his home was located is nice but no McMansions, like 2500 sq. ft. two-story type. I thought Todd said he didn't have any children either (heirs).

Guest Steven1963

Sounds like history missed an opportunity to document a well designed loudspeaker system. I meant no disrespect to Mr. Frazier, I hope you know. Heck, I'd love to get rich off of a product I made and designed. I'm just regretful (for Mr. Frazier, myself, and the audio community) that his journey wasn't as well documented as Mr. Klipsch's.

Sounds like history missed an opportunity to document a well designed loudspeaker system. I meant no disrespect to Mr. Frazier, I hope you know. Heck, I'd love to get rich off of a product I made and designed. I'm just regretful (for Mr. Frazier, myself, and the audio community) that his journey wasn't as well documented as Mr. Klipsch's.

After Jack Frazier died, his wife sold the company pretty quickly. The buyers were Philistines, and had no interest in the company's heritage. "Out with the old!" The current owners of the name in Dallas probably have more respect for the company's heritage (but not much).

Unfortunately the FUG has been slow of late just not a lot of activity. Also, VERY little information on the internet about Frazier as a whole. I can only conclude that Frazier was less interested in building a legacy than he was in making as much money as he could. Unlike Paul Klipsch, who very evidently loved what he did and made a lot of money as a side benefit.

Before drawing your conclusions please keep in mind that Jack Frazier was in his late 70's during 1977 when these portions of advertising literature that I have included with this post were written.  As pmsummer pointed out the M&A activities of that time period after Jack's death hurt the company's history records and subsequent legacy greatly (we are very fortunate with Klipsch remaining intact).  Now that so many communication avenues have flourished with the internet, I suspect that many records were most likely long gone and only memories for most that have direct experience during the time period Jack developed his legacy.  In addition, it is often times difficult to find much information in relation to speakers used primarily in commercial settings from the general consumer population. 

As John Daggett has pointed out below, this thread is one of the most informative concentrations of Frazier information out there and you will find many posts by Todd Crane and John are based in direct experience and not from anecdotal storytelling

I realize that many have difficulty developing key words that work when using the forum search function; therefore, I did a quick search of the Klipsch forum using Google using the following string with the search string below and returned 73 hits related to Frazier X-15 with most referencing specific pages in this thread.

Frazier X-15 site:https://community.klipsch.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=klipsch+jubilee+site:www.audiokarma.org&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-ContextMenu&biw=1600&bih=758&sa=X&ei=msd1VdyGOcO9ggS0vYDoBw&sqi=2&ved=0CFwQrQIoBDAK#q=Frazier+X-15+site:https:%2F%2Fcommunity.klipsch.com%2F

Probably better luck attempting the search function here as not many left to answer questions.

"I can only conclude that Frazier was less interested in building a legacy than he was in making as much money as he could."

Nope, just a humble man. No interest in conquering the world or living high on the hog. I know the area his home was located is nice but no McMansions, like 2500 sq. ft. two-story type. I thought Todd said he didn't have any children either (heirs).

Frazier Loudspeaker 1.jpg

Frazier Loudspeaker 2.jpg

post-36163-0-34460000-1433783190_thumb.j

post-36163-0-14580000-1433783207_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

"The only construction plans I found on that thread was for an Onken enclosure"

3D rendering of a Frazier folded horn:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33805-Dwgs-for-Frazier-Dixieland-Cabinets

Todd said those weren't even close to the design, but he was in sales and didn't build them.

I love the look of this Dixielander with veneer:

post-5045-0-38860000-1433858842_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

John can you comment on the rarity of the X-15w? Do you have a recollection of how many were made and just as interestingly, what years they were made?

Steven, I'm confused. I addressed what little I know about those in a private message volley (here/Klipsch) you initiated.

Hey that guy in the brochure pic above, polishing the Mark IV, is Peter (Pete) Beltran the cabinet shop foreman. He's one of the few I think might have gotten cabinet drawings. I think he lived in Oak Cliff at the time. If you seem him on the streets of D/FW you might ask him. lol