The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

Woo. Serious case of jealousy. Never saw one this late. I assume that is the Helmholtz slot on the left? I have MC's from the late 60's and mid-70's. Got's to be looking for these!

Regards,

Dave

Yep, that's the slot (no rear porting on these). I also have a pair of Frazier Jrs. on their way to me (pix below from the seller).

69fa_1.JPG

I'm still a piker by your's and Ron's standards, but my collection now consists of...

Mk V

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo D

Frazier Midget

La Fiesta

Capri

Dixielander

and the ones that started me on this obbession...

F-12-4H

Like to see pix of the Jr. and Fiesta. I am not familiar with those...

Dave

Dave,

The "Jr." is shown in the small pix up-thread (single 4.5" driver, two slots).

Here's the La Fiesta. It's an elongated, mirror imaged Monte Carlo, basically. Notice the chevroned facia. Cool, huh?

Posted Image

Kewl. I thought that was an MC, but wondered why it appeared elongated. So, the jr. was between the Super Midget and the MC. What's the driver compliment in the Fiesta? It looks larger than an MC, but smaller than a Mark.

Any docs on these? Love to have a PDF. I need to locate my Frazier lit and PDF it as well. I am wondering if LoneLobo slunk off with it. He does that...

Dave

Kewl. I thought that was an MC, but wondered why it appeared elongated. So, the jr. was between the Super Midget and the MC. What's the driver compliment in the Fiesta? It looks larger than an MC, but smaller than a Mark.

Any docs on these? Love to have a PDF. I need to locate my Frazier lit and PDF it as well. I am wondering if LoneLobo slunk off with it. He does that...

Dave

The Jr. may well be a Midget or a Super Midget. The seller described it as a "Jr." , but I won't know for sure until this week (when it arrives).

I don't have anything on the La Fiesta. It's got the same driver compliment as the MC for the period, just a longer box.

Definately have not slunk off with any literature. PM has snatched all that I find on the Bay so I know he has some. I have a pair like you have pictured as being shipped, but I always thought they were Super Midgets.

PS. Congrats on the score.

My first set of speakers - Frazier Manhattans - I was 15 years old and thought I was in the big time!

You WERE in the big time! Where are those Manhattans today?

My first set of speakers - Frazier Manhattans - I was 15 years old and thought I was in the big time!

You WERE in the big time! Where are those Manhattans today?

I wish I knew! - they eventually got traded in on a pair of McIntosh XR-5s and a C26 and MC2125. I kept that Mac set-up for 30 years and then started the slow descent into madness!

Estate Sale ad said: "Vintage Electronics: Teac, Bose and Frazier." That was all I needed to see.

Frazier Monte Carlo Ds, near the end of production (early '80s). Philips ferro-fluid dome tweeters. A little water damage (easily repairable), no badges (Frazier badges have GOT to be the rarest ones out there), cabinets in overall very good condition. Will clean up nicely.

Cleaning up nicely. Now, if only I had some badjes. I need some steenkin' badjes!

Posted Image

the line up in 1983, when Jack passed, and the company was sold were: Super Midgets, CAD-1 ( cheap and dirty 1) Super Monte Carlo, Mark IV, Mark V, SEVEN, Frazier's Thing, and the ELEVEN. Todd

Yezzier, PM, I am seriously green... Those are really sharp looking, and I'm sure they sound even better!

On the badges, I did a bit of research a couple of years ago and do not think it would be too difficult to make a mold from and existing good one. I need a bunch of them as well. Maybe I'll look into that again soon. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Dave

I had an artist/jewelry maker buy the house next door, and I was talking to her about making new ones using the lost-wax casting technique. Before we got too far into the discussions, she went on a drug and booze binge and got institutionalized and then deported.

But lost-wax is the way to go. We just need to find a jewelry-maker/audio nut. Sterling silver badges from James Avery, perhaps? [;)]

I used to have a bunch of links to molding products and if memory serves right, one source is from model maker websites. I think I tracked them down from old radio restoration sites that used the same products to make "one off" replica knobs. I think I found more info on other hobby sites. You need one good badge to make the latex based mold, then you just pour in plastic goo over and over and over to make the parts. I believe there are gold and silver release agents that will give the badges the proper metalic look as well. I have several good badges to mold if anyone comes up with the molding materials.

PS. I have been warning all of you about collecting Fraziers. Just the thought of making Frazier badges has sent another poor soul down the drain. Please, Please, I beg you, send all those hallucination inducing speakers to Flower Mound for proper quarantine. An artistic mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Posted Image

Arrived today. The seller called 'em "Jr.s", but I believe they are Midgets (correct?). One 4.5" fullranger per cab.

They really sound nice here in the Cubicle From Hell In An Underground Location. Jim Cullum off my"lossless" iPod.

Oh, and look! They've got badjes!

P.S. Cat-5 makes good speaker wires, and the ceilings full of the stuff. So I cut some out. Hope no one notices thay can't access the printer any longer.

• Like 1

yep'm, that's a super midget. PWK had one with a handle attached he could move in and out of a corner while playing to demonstrate the effect.

Nice looking ones, too.

Dave

I just hooked up my super midgets for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they exhibited "fuzz". Only thing I can think of is dried up cracked driver elements. I haven't opened it up....could there be a simple crossover in there to limit what the single little driver sees?"

yep'm, that's a super midget. PWK had one with a handle attached he could move in and out of a corner while playing to demonstrate the effect.

Nice looking ones, too.

Dave

They've got one bad corner (poor packing... surprise), but it's a rear top, so I'll be abale to make 'em look purty.

What's the difference between Midget and Super Midget?

I just hooked up my super midgets for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they exhibited "fuzz". Only thing I can think of is dried up cracked driver elements. I haven't opened it up....could there be a simple crossover in there to limit what the single little driver sees?"

Ron,

Over on AK, I was told to look for that very problem, as the cloth surrounds have been known to come loose.

Actually...when they were three-sided, they were just midgets, and monte carlo's, when they were finished on all four sides they became SUPER! Todd