The Klipsch Audio Community
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

Frazier fans

I recently picked up a single Frazier F5511 Lares speaker system from a musician. I cannot find any information on this system online. I was told to ask members of this group for insight.

The speaker was a 15" eminence kappa pro woofer, a 10 inch rare firing mid-woofer and a horn loaded tweeter with a compression driver mounted in the center of the mid woofer. Any information anyone can share will be appreciated

Never heard of it but your description makes me think it's from the 'new' Frazier line [this thread was created based on the 'old' Frazier line]. Do a search for Frazier speakers and you'll find a site for the existing ('new' Frazier) company; there should be a contact method there to ask them.

Thanks. I will call them. The only information I found were these are part of the LARES ambiance system used in the Prizker Pavillion in Chicago's Millennium park. from the pictures looks like they were paired with similar size EV speakers

AH, I knew there were a bunch of you here. Ok, a friend found a salvage building with a bunch of horn speakers and thought of me, the horn guy (everyone express a synchronized 'AWWWW').   Among the many finds are a pair of Frazier 333/300 horn driver combos which work well. I recognized them instantly from photos I'd see of the Diixielander cabinet. These are complete with the brackets, in standard Frazier grey, some slight chipping of paint and perhaps the plastic/fibrglass of the horn body, but 99% intact.   What is worth and any interest in them here? 

FWIW I recently acquired a pair of CAT 40 for our 2.1 bedroom system. They saw PA duty and will require a thorough quality inspection (and likely repair), but preliminary listening has been overwhelmingly positive. Makes me wish I had room for the full-size CAT 76.

I realize these are Mitchell Acoustic product and "not Jack Frazier" :rolleyes:. So to avoid confusion, I'll be starting a thread about them over at AVS forum and post a link to it here as things develop:

Stay tuned. :emotion-22:

I know, I know the group moved over to Facebook...there's got to be one last holdout and here it is;

Here is a photo documentary on Dixielanders, $500.00 plus a road trip:

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/ultrabstrong/library/

It is OK If someone/anyone would like to provide this link on the Facebook page also.

16 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

I know, I know the group moved over to Facebook...there's got to be one last holdout and here it is;

Here is a photo documentary on Dixielanders, $500.00 plus a road trip:

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/ultrabstrong/library/

It is OK If someone/anyone would like to provide this link on the Facebook page also.

Wow, a new post! And almost forgot my login. lol
Well not everyone moved over, just the most active ones. I'll see if I can get that share link over yonder. Still have the shipping boxes huh? Me too for my Sevens, but they've been in the attic for two decades so may just be attic insulation now.

Yeah...boxes too with the associated packaging also!  I figured this new post would languish in relative obscurity. But no!

It looks like the Dixielander crossovers have a manually adjustable inductor to change the crossover point.?.  Is that correct?  

Theyre in quite good condition...now if I can get them to sing it'll be better.  Replacing caps with Erse (http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX630v/MPX63-03-12-0), closing up and trying a few different amps to find a synergy.

Those are incredible! Even the boxes look new... I've always wanted a pair, actually found some in Nashville, in questionable condition, but like most things for me, the timing wasn't good.

Bruce

17 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Yeah...boxes too with the associated packaging also!  I figured this new post would languish in relative obscurity. But no!

It looks like the Dixielander crossovers have a manually adjustable inductor to change the crossover point.?.  Is that correct?  

Theyre in quite good condition...now if I can get them to sing it'll be better.  Replacing caps with Erse (http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX630v/MPX63-03-12-0), closing up and trying a few different amps to find a synergy.

No, that's a resistor for padding down the horn whilst impedance matching to the cross-over circuit. Don't mess with it other than cleaning its contact tap if necessary.

From the sounds of your follow-up here, I take it they're not for sale. "$500 plus a road trip" led me to believe that you had them up for sale, but now I'm thinking you meant that was how you purchased them. Please clarify for Facebook (i.e. I was successful in sharing the link over yonder).

"No, that's a resistor for padding down the horn whilst impedance matching to the cross-over circuit. Don't mess with it other than cleaning its contact tap if necessary."

OK. Thanks!

Yes--I was unclear--this is how they were purchased, I was able to obtain them for $500 plus a road trip...sorry about that!  They're not for sale...yet. You see--they sound quite poorly.  My truck stereo sounds way better than these!  No bass at all.  No highs.  I haven't taken time to really work on it.  Given their quite pristine insides and solid exteriors they must be able to sound fairly good at least, right?  I mean they should be comparable to Heresys in their own way.  Probably even better!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Measured the tweeters this this evening  at 12 ohms each and the woofers at 6 ohms each.  Between the 2 positive terminals is 12 ohms also (through the crossovers). Neither tweeter voice coil is shorted to the magnet. With the tweeters connected to the terminals, polarities correctly observed, both measure 6ohms (of course).  

Thanks much for for sharing with the rest and remainder of the FUG over on Facebook.  Perhaps  the photo documents will fill in a few gaps since there isn't a lot of printed literature on Fraziers.

"Those are incredible! Even the boxes look new..."

Yeah they're pretty sweet!  While they're in good cosmetic condition this set of photographs is general and does not show close ups.  There are some minor dings and whatnot.  A detailed set of close ups would reveal more.  Although....these would make a first-rate refinish without a lot of time and labor.  The SQ has me baffled though!  As this is the only non-KLIPSCH pair I own and with the out-of-the-box SQ being poor I'm only so-so on them.  

Go ahead and replace the caps. Unscrew and clean that resistor tap contact, could even shift it over one wire wind (they were just adjusted using a tape measure). Check the wiring, etc. Then if still a problem audio test each driver independently (remove one lead); use a good series cap when testing tweeters so as not to blow them.

OK Thanks for the heads up on how to proceed! I really do appreciate the guidance a lot.  Do these caps look like a decent replacement; http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX630v/MPX63-03-12-0?  I am sure these speakers can sound quite well with this bit of coaxing and finesse!  

Im also going to send them a high quality signal input with this next round of effort.

Updates  to follow.

Looks good per their info. The guys over yonder recommend a few different caps but I don't recall what they are. Parts Express rings a bell for one of the places to buy but I suspect they have a wide variety of caps to choose from.

Yeah OK why then I'll use these as the recommendation comes from a very solid source. There's 10001 options! It'll take a little time to make it happen, I'm pretty sure these will go up for sale after they're donned sonically fit.  Im a KLIPSCH sort of guy--just like 'em.  Thank you.

Can someone tell me the differences between Mark VI and Manhattan III models? Any info helpful. Looking to add to collection, two pair of concerto's with piezo's and sevens with piezo's too. Would trade concerto pair for either Manhattan or Mark VI with some cash either way depending on condition.

Thanks

Rick

Edited by Fraziernut

Just wanted to say hello to all the Frazier nuts that I haven't seen since I went to the FUGers on facebook

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, Fraziernut said:

Can someone tell me the differences between Mark VI and Manhattan III models? Any info helpful. Looking to add to collection, two pair of concerto's with piezo's and sevens with piezo's too. Would trade concerto pair for either Manhattan or Mark VI with some cash either way depending on condition.

Thanks

Rick

Mark VI is a large 3 way system, using a 12" woofer, an 8" mid-range, and a 3x7"  horn tweeter. The Manhattan III was a medium sized floor speaker, using a 10" woofer, and a 3x7" horn tweeter.