The Klipsch Audio Community
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

Recommend you post this on the Frazier groups Facebook page. Most Frazier folks have moved from here to there. I am moving your thread to our Garage Sale section as that is where it belongs.

Dave

You didn't post it in the wrong place.

I think that posting it here and on Facebook is a good idea.

I for one do not frequent Facebook simply because I am not comfortable doing so.

Thank you for posting here.

Tom

Not sure why this thread was moved to Garage sale just because the last post was trying to sell horns

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Not sure why this thread was moved to Garage sale just because the last post was trying to sell horns

Agree, this thread should not be in Garage Sale.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:58 AM, Lawnman said:

I know this is an old thread, but looking for a set of Mid Horns 3" x 7-1/4" for a set of Concertos.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Hey Lawnman, see the next post (which generated a new page so you'll have to go to the next page/202). Fritz has some horns but this site has a 'clear as mud' way to reply ('Quote'?) so he made a new post as a reply to you (he's new here too).

BTW most of the FUGers have transitioned over to Facebook FUG. John Bob says check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/584410888260783/

I am a new member. I just bought a beautiful set of Frazier f1464 speakers and I am try to get some more information on them. I am considering pairing them with my Cornwall's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. They were made in Arkansas also. Thanks for any help. Tony

Can you describe what they look like or post a pic? A brief google search yielded nothing....might be sitting on a pair of CAT 46 though.

Posted (edited)

Just picked up a set of Concertos on a whim. Heard how well they performed against Heresys and thought I’d give them a twirl... this particular set was so well taken care of that the owner even had glass tops made for them and they came with the sale. No scratches, 16 square corners attenuators work flawlessly and really an all there special set. They are so surprisingly good that my jaw dropped while playing some Lucas Nelson and then some Faces. Boy they really boogie on a small Arcam amp. Really shockingly good fun!! I have some pretty exotic gear & speakers too but boy, I’m really enjoying these. 

Edited by BGRoss

Posted (edited)

s-l1600.jpgHello...

Wondering if anyone knows... particularly the former Frazier employees..

(assuming anyone is still here... I too am uncomfortable with Facebook)

There was a Frazier speaker... to long ago to recall what it was called..

(my very first speakers were Super Capsules... LOVED them!)

It was large and basically square... that I know of, only in black finish.. but it had only a single driver!

A small(ish) one at that...

6-1/2" or maybe even smaller.. I've noticed it in other models as well... (direct radiator)

It had square or rectangular ports around the periphery... (so hard to recall exact details after this long..

Notably, the surround was a large (doped-fabric) roll (uncommon at the time) and it had a large excursion...

It was odd looking because it was just one small driver in a sea of black-box...

Sid Zimet sort of featured it.... had it playing a lot of the time and it was the first speaker he'd show you, when you first came in and stated an interest in new speakers..

(the old timers will recognize this reference)

"Stone Celler" also in Roslyn had them playing all the time..

(If you don't know THAT reference... better to leave well enough alone... 😉 )

Just really curious to know what these were after all these years....

They were shockingly good!!!!

Not as good as the Capsules/Concertos mind you.... the ones I chose....

But I'm fascinated at how good they were, particularly the highs with no tweeter!

(highs were a bit deficient but only just... you could "get away with it" as they were)

Just a single, fairly small, driver.... in a HUGE box.... I assume back-horn loaded in some fashion...

I keep wondering how he accomplished this feat!

TIA

Greg

PS: Added found pic after posting... dunno why it came out on top..

PPS:  Woofer looked sort of like that..

Edited by GrooveGrinder
Adding a pic I found..

I believe the ones you are talking about used the 4/4.5" single driver that was a full range used in the higher models like the Va, Seven and Eleven..  Can't remember the name though.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:33 PM, GrooveGrinder said:

Hello...

Wondering if anyone knows... particularly the former Frazier employees..

(assuming anyone is still here... I too am uncomfortable with Facebook)

There was a Frazier speaker... to long ago to recall what it was called..

(my very first speakers were Super Capsules... LOVED them!)

It was large and basically square... that I know of, only in black finish.. but it had only a single driver!

A small(ish) one at that...

6-1/2" or maybe even smaller.. I've noticed it in other models as well... (direct radiator)

It had square or rectangular ports around the periphery... (so hard to recall exact details after this long..

Notably, the surround was a large (doped-fabric) roll (uncommon at the time) and it had a large excursion...

It was odd looking because it was just one small driver in a sea of black-box...

Sid Zimet sort of featured it.... had it playing a lot of the time and it was the first speaker he'd show you, when you first came in and stated an interest in new speakers..

(the old timers will recognize this reference)

"Stone Celler" also in Roslyn had them playing all the time..

(If you don't know THAT reference... better to leave well enough alone... 😉 )

Just really curious to know what these were after all these years....

They were shockingly good!!!!

Not as good as the Capsules/Concertos mind you.... the ones I chose....

But I'm fascinated at how good they were, particularly the highs with no tweeter!

(highs were a bit deficient but only just... you could "get away with it" as they were)

Just a single, fairly small, driver.... in a HUGE box.... I assume back-horn loaded in some fashion...

I keep wondering how he accomplished this feat!

TIA

Greg

PS: Added found pic after posting... dunno why it came out on top..

PPS:  Woofer looked sort of like that..

The stories I've heard of Sid Zimet seem to mostly revolve around Black Box models, but anything but square:

182165517_vintage-frazier-black-box-i-de

Now I thought they always had a tweeter BUT it's entirely possible that some predecessor only had a single driver; I say that because there was an old mysterious pallet of 6 - 3/4" treble cone woofers in the factory (late '70s) that might have been there for old model replacement parts. The treble cone acts as a tweeter. Then again maybe in the early Zimet years there was some speaker as you described.
The speaker in your pic was only a 4 - 1/2" used in the small [~breadbox size] rectangular Super Midget (no tweeter) and many of the larger multi-way models for mid-range drivers. Also well known for use in Bose speakers of that era (ex: 901).

BTW there was never a Super Capsule to my knowledge. There was the painted Capsule Monitor and it's twin the walnut-veneered Concerto.