The Klipsch Audio Community
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

4 hours ago, John Daggett said:

Oh I forgot about the stamps. Since Frazier didn't make drivers they were either ink stamped from the vendors or we placed Frazier stickers on them.

Yeah come to think of it that woofer looks highly oxidized. Yet the other metallic stuff I see looks fine. And I'm used to studs with nuts holding the woofers in place, not screws, although this version is a little before my time.

I preferred it over here too as I'm not a big fan of FB. But what happened was that this site made some web changes, the Frazier page disappeared [or was in danger of disappearing, I forget], so the folk or folks who started it here made the move to FB. It picked up steam over yonder via the proliferation of FB, so stuck despite this page coming back after the site change was complete.

Let me know your general area and next time I'm on FB I'll see if there is an ad there for Dixies of regional interest.

So do you have some kind of idea of how old those speakers were?   I was a little leery about that though.  As I said, from other Dixielanders I have seen, the woofers were blue and there was an inked stamp on it with the Frazier name and model info.   So it may not even be original.

Yes, I don't know what people see in Facebook and other sites like it.   I tried to look for past info on one FB page and just hated it right off the bat.  You can't find anything that is older!  LOL!

I am in the vicinity of the Town of Babylon, NY.    In the 80's this town had quite a few Frazier sightings by me.  But back in the day it was mostly the Super Texans.  If you come across those in my area I would certainly look into those too.   In fact one Texan would do the trick nicely.   It is just the weight of those things put me off as they are pretty heavy.  The Dixielanders come in at a better weight.

Thanks again!

D

Based on the caps I'd say late '60's to early '70's. I really need to see more but I missed the ad. I don't trust that woofer for ID. Early ones had wooden horns while later ones had plastic resin horns. Some Dixies were made up until around 1980.

Yeah the NY area was one of the hotbeds for Fraziers. A guy named Sid Zimet had a well known audiophile shop there. They were also in clubs like Studio 54 and venues like Madison Square Gardens.

I couldn't spot the Dixie info I thought I saw; the problem is some folks just make a post rather than an ad, or mention they have some for sale in a comment to someone else's post. Anyhow there is a guy in your general area, maybe Long Island, that is clearing out his collection. There's several other members in the area too that buy and sell Fraziers as they upgrade, downgrade, or their wives kick them in the butt for having too much stuff. Lol. One guy is parting out drivers from some scrapped Fraziers. If you could make a post over yonder describing your venue like you did here they might have Dixies or something similar to sell.

Hello again,

Well, the fellow sold those Dixielanders.   I was hesitant as I wasn't sure if those drivers were original and even so, as you pointed out with the caps, they are probably very old.  This was the only time I have seen the Dixielanders with the wooden cabinets.  The fellow that was selling them was laughing as he thought the speakers were more valuable because of the wooden cabinets and here I was looking for the more industrial looking ones.   As it is though, I only recently (this year) heard of the Dixielanders even though I have known of the Super Texans since my youth.

So MSG had Fraziers too, huh?  Yeah, I have seen here alot.   Funny you mention a guy here on Long Island as that is where I am located and have been here all my life.  I believe another venue that had the Fraziers was the Long Island arena.  I believe they had them when Peter Frampton recorded his live version of "Do You Feel Like We Do"  over there.   I think even the Jones Beach Theater had them at one time (but I could be mistaken here).    I heard the name Sid Zimet before and not always in positive tones.  He was kind of like a "Sam Ash" in NYC.

Well, if you have some additional info on this (other) Long Island fellow, perhaps I can keep an ear to the ground in the event he gets some Fraziers in.   Frankly it doesn't have to be the Dixielanders as I could do the job with one Super Texan as well.  For parties, stereo sound really isn't necessary.  Even when I was a DJ, I had a mono system.  It was bi-amped though having one channel of a two channel amp running the bass and the other channel running the mids/highs. 

I am not a big fan of Facebook, but I guess I could check out the FUG thread over there.

BTW, in a different vein, I came across a pair of Frazier Super Midget speakers.  Are these any good?  Are these like a mini folded horn (given how deep the cabinet is).  Supposedly it has a single 4" driver in it.  I am pretty skeptical about a driver that size being full range, but I have not found any specs on this speaker.

As for my outdoor project, I may end up with a pair of EV SX-300 speakers.  I know of them well and they are small and pretty good performers.  They have a bit more range on the high end than the Dixielanders and they also handle 3x the power too.   But the bass response does roll off quite a bit.  They DO benefit from subwoofers though.   Something I wouldn't need with a Super Texan.  LOL!!

Thank you again for the info!

D

Ironic timing. 3 sets of Dixies for sale in Long Island PM (private message) sent. I hope you know how to open it as I've never PM'ed here before. I do see a message envelope icon at the top of this page.

MSG yes. I believe someone posted a pic over yonder, probably here too back when this was real active.

Cool on Frampton. I wonder what sound we're hearing? That live version was one  of the best if not the best at that time.

So was Sid like The Soup Nazi or something? Lol

Bi-amp: There was the model Nine. A 'disco' version of the F12-4H (search Frazier F12-4H and you should see them as they were pretty common). They added 4 Piezo tweeters between the 4 horns, the woofer is heavier duty, and cabinet stronger. Bi-ampable (big terminal strip on the back with jumpers to make it regular or bi-amp). The discos wanted more power capability, louder, and ridiculous highs (remember disco?! ugh). Commercial grey like Dixies. Now the F12-4H is actually a very large ceiling speaker for convention center type spaces, hence the bass ports shoot out the two sides and the horns are angled outward. But there's several guys over yonder that love them for home use and have repainted them and grilled them to look better. Made little stands to improve the living room sound (I suggested they corner load them for the side bass ports to reflect off of). Of course there's a few that hung them up in there garages or patios, they were built with eye bolts for hanging.

Super Midgets are good little bookshelf speakers. Smallest of the home line and the only folded of those were a few back in the mono days. Bass port on front. The last ones used that 4" same as Bose 901's. Older ones a little larger driver and dual port out back so I'm guessing a little better. The bass port and cab size gives it decent range for what little there is to work with but of course the highs fall off. It's an economy/apartment model per se.

Hey I don't like Facebook either. Too much unnecessary crap to look at to see the stuff I want to see. So I keep my friends list short, mostly family and a few close friends (and some of them are too noisy, but there's a way to turn off seeing their posts without unfriending them > unfollow).

But anyhow I think you can have an account with no friends, the Frazier group is a separate 'group' entity from the main FB  crud. Then you just bookmark the group page on your device and when you open it you won't even see the other FB crud.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:05 PM, John Daggett said:

Ironic timing. 3 sets of Dixies for sale in Long Island PM (private message) sent. I hope you know how to open it as I've never PM'ed here before. I do see a message envelope icon at the top of this page.

MSG yes. I believe someone posted a pic over yonder, probably here too back when this was real active.

Cool on Frampton. I wonder what sound we're hearing? That live version was one  of the best if not the best at that time.

So was Sid like The Soup Nazi or something? Lol

Bi-amp: There was the model Nine. A 'disco' version of the F12-4H (search Frazier F12-4H and you should see them as they were pretty common). They added 4 Piezo tweeters between the 4 horns, the woofer is heavier duty, and cabinet stronger. Bi-ampable (big terminal strip on the back with jumpers to make it regular or bi-amp). The discos wanted more power capability, louder, and ridiculous highs (remember disco?! ugh). Commercial grey like Dixies. Now the F12-4H is actually a very large ceiling speaker for convention center type spaces, hence the bass ports shoot out the two sides and the horns are angled outward. But there's several guys over yonder that love them for home use and have repainted them and grilled them to look better. Made little stands to improve the living room sound (I suggested they corner load them for the side bass ports to reflect off of). Of course there's a few that hung them up in there garages or patios, they were built with eye bolts for hanging.

Super Midgets are good little bookshelf speakers. Smallest of the home line and the only folded of those were a few back in the mono days. Bass port on front. The last ones used that 4" same as Bose 901's. Older ones a little larger driver and dual port out back so I'm guessing a little better. The bass port and cab size gives it decent range for what little there is to work with but of course the highs fall off. It's an economy/apartment model per se.

Hey I don't like Facebook either. Too much unnecessary crap to look at to see the stuff I want to see. So I keep my friends list short, mostly family and a few close friends (and some of them are too noisy, but there's a way to turn off seeing their posts without unfriending them > unfollow).

But anyhow I think you can have an account with no friends, the Frazier group is a separate 'group' entity from the main FB  crud. Then you just bookmark the group page on your device and when you open it you won't even see the other FB crud.

Hello John,

Yes, I did receive the message and also contacted Mike already.  I have outlined the details in a PM to you. 

An update on Frampton.   It was "Show Me The Way" (a more popular tune) that was recorded at the Long Island Arena.  "Do You Feel Like We Do," while PLAYED and recorded at the Arena, it wasn't used on the Frampton Comes Alive album.   Ironically it was another New York venue in Plattsburgh where that song was recorded for the album.   I have been asking around about the speakers used at the arena at the time.  I am FAIRLY sure they used Texans there up until the 80's. 

The F12-4H.  I am not feeling that speaker.  It just looks too darn obtuse.   Keep in mind I am an old DJ guy and for me the ultimate speaker was the Altec Voice of the Theater A7.   This was also a popular club speaker back in the 70's.  The famed 2001 had these.    BTW,  I am a big fan of disco...so no Ugh here!  In fact it is disco music as to why I am after the Dixielanders.   When I have house parties, I ONLY play dance music and disco from the 70's and 80's.   However, my main interest is rock music though.    As for corner placement, I would be curious about porting the rear chamber for extra bass extension off the corner in a room.    But for outside use at higher volumes, it is best as is. 

As I mentioned in my private message to you, I had asked Mike and he doesn't have a pair of Super Midgets.   I can get these from someone else, but that person is asking $100 for the pair.  But it is nice to know that the speaker uses the same driver as the old style 901's.  I did compare them and was surprised to see that.  And yes, Frazier did make a 5" driver in the 50's,  (there is one on Ebay now),  in a column array.   More than likely it was that same driver they used in the Midgets initially.

Sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc, just seem to "stack" one message on top of the other with no organization in terms of subject.  So searching for something is made that much more difficult.  If you ask me,  social media sites like that are a step BACKWARD from forums.

Thank you again for your help.  I guess we will see how things pan out this week.  Naturally I will report back to you either way if I do pick up the Dixielanders or not. 

D

Interesting (Frampton). Great tune on a great album! I didn't know the recordings were spread out as I thought it was all one concert.

Yeah the F12-4H doesn't seem ideal for your app. Frazier made an X-15 that has a similar look to the A7. Short wide horn type for small venues.

Well discos were always way too loud, and the less one likes a kind of music the less one's hearing can tolerate the loudness. But that's where the action was at, dancing and all. And it appears to be making a nostalgic comeback the way things do.

Have a good week,

JD

18 hours ago, John Daggett said:

Interesting (Frampton). Great tune on a great album! I didn't know the recordings were spread out as I thought it was all one concert.

Yeah the F12-4H doesn't seem ideal for your app. Frazier made an X-15 that has a similar look to the A7. Short wide horn type for small venues.

Well discos were always way too loud, and the less one likes a kind of music the less one's hearing can tolerate the loudness. But that's where the action was at, dancing and all. And it appears to be making a nostalgic comeback the way things do.

Have a good week,

JD

Hello John,

Well, I guess the reasoning is sound.  When they decided to record Frampton during his "Frampton Comes Alive" tour, naturally they did record the entire concert at each venue, then they just hand picked the ones that sounded best for the album.   I had NEVER considered the Long Island Arena as a "prime" location, especially for sound.  The place resembled an airplane hanger and you know those are not the best for acoustics.  Yet, it seems that song just sounded amazing and hence it was the Arena version that made it to the album.   Granted back in the day, when the song was recorded, the LIA was still somewhat in it's prime.  But then the Nassau Colliseum opened up in the mid 70's and it was much larger and had better acoustics, so that spelled doom for the LIA.   In the late 80's to mid 90's, the LIA fell into disuse and was eventually delegated to being used as a flea market.  It held on a few more years thereafter, but at around the millennium, it closed down for good and was torn down. 

Yes, I am not feeling the F12-4H at all.  It is pretty Yougly if you ask me.  It looks like something that a layman would knock together in a single weekend with home tools in a garage.  Granted it does boil down to how the speaker performs.   But I know if I would present that for a party, people are just going to say, "What the hell is that?"   Now the X-15?  Oh my!  That is a sheer work of art.  Beautiful cabinet.  If you ask me, I think that is nicer looking than a Klipsch La-Scala.

The thing is that with my experience with Fraziers is pretty much the Super Texans.  I have SEEN other Frazier speakers before, but not heard them.   I know they made large column speakers for churches and mostly PA work too.  

Now, you mentioned that you worked for Frazier and I am assuming you heard all the speakers they made, correct?   How IS the sound on the Dixielander?   I know the frequency response is limited on the high and low ends.   But is it a nice full sound?   As it is, I am an older fellow myself and I doubt my hearing is any good above 15k anyway, which is the roll off point on the Dixielander.  But I am concerned about the low end.  How is the bass response, specifically if the speaker is used outside?  

Thanks,

D

Yeah that reasoning does sound sound. Electrical issues, audience, and maybe type of song vs. acoustics.

Same issue in D/FW as the LIA experienced, miss some of those old venues.

Well the F12-4H is a ceiling speaker so wasn't intended for viewing pleasure. We did doll some up special order for certain customers - various colors and matching cloth grilles. Roller skating rinks, discos, theaters, etc. And then the Model Nine internally code-named the Disco Big Eye.
Yeah the X-15 had an interesting look for a commercial speaker. They packed the curvy horn sections with sawdust and covered with a thin piece of wood. I puttied and sanded my share of them, had to be a little artful with the horn part. The top part could be fitted to a couple of options of radial horns depending on the desired dispersement. Some just ordered it as a woofer-only (X-15W) and used an external HF horn.

Well yes and no on the listening question. Most were just simple-sound tested at low volume not to upset the office, etc. And one at a time and usually what the foreman wanted the radio tuned to (sappy music). Plus we're listening close to each driver and testing the controls. I never had the pleasure to 'really' listen to a pair of Dixies but what I remember is pretty good for a horn. I do have a pair of horns that are somewhat close to a Dixie 'in a sense' [unfolded] and have the same HF horn in the mouth of the big horn; I was the audio king of the lake beach when I toted them out there in my truck at the time, everybody loved them (even the boaters) and of course they did well vs. the wind. And using a low power car stereo. Now these guys that actually own (or previously owned) them could give you a better review. But a big plus for the Dixie is that Jack Frazier had a pair in those fancy coverall cabinets in his living room.

I did get to visit the sound room every now and then but it was pretty much for all the home models.

Regular gas is about $1.60/gal here. And it's gone up 20 cents or more since stuff started reopening and continues to climb...

For anyone needing repairs, this company who sells woofers for guitarists also will work on older Frazier stuff. No affiliation, but stumbled onto their site. I don't do facebook, so if anyone want to pass along the info...

The make woofers with hemp cones...

https://hempopotamusloudspeakers.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Ffrazier-loudspeaker-repair-and-replacements&page=2

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, John Daggett said:

Yeah that reasoning does sound sound. Electrical issues, audience, and maybe type of song vs. acoustics.

Same issue in D/FW as the LIA experienced, miss some of those old venues.

Well the F12-4H is a ceiling speaker so wasn't intended for viewing pleasure. We did doll some up special order for certain customers - various colors and matching cloth grilles. Roller skating rinks, discos, theaters, etc. And then the Model Nine internally code-named the Disco Big Eye.
Yeah the X-15 had an interesting look for a commercial speaker. They packed the curvy horn sections with sawdust and covered with a thin piece of wood. I puttied and sanded my share of them, had to be a little artful with the horn part. The top part could be fitted to a couple of options of radial horns depending on the desired dispersement. Some just ordered it as a woofer-only (X-15W) and used an external HF horn.

Well yes and no on the listening question. Most were just simple-sound tested at low volume not to upset the office, etc. And one at a time and usually what the foreman wanted the radio tuned to (sappy music). Plus we're listening close to each driver and testing the controls. I never had the pleasure to 'really' listen to a pair of Dixies but what I remember is pretty good for a horn. I do have a pair of horns that are somewhat close to a Dixie 'in a sense' [unfolded] and have the same HF horn in the mouth of the big horn; I was the audio king of the lake beach when I toted them out there in my truck at the time, everybody loved them (even the boaters) and of course they did well vs. the wind. And using a low power car stereo. Now these guys that actually own (or previously owned) them could give you a better review. But a big plus for the Dixie is that Jack Frazier had a pair in those fancy coverall cabinets in his living room.

I did get to visit the sound room every now and then but it was pretty much for all the home models.

Regular gas is about $1.60/gal here. And it's gone up 20 cents or more since stuff started reopening and continues to climb...

Hello John,

I know it has been a while since I have been here last and much as been happening here.   Well, as you probably know already, I never picked up the Dixielanders from Mike, although I did contact him.  The reason being was the weight, then I needed an amplifier as well.   So I ended up buying a mixer/amp/and speaker combo that was plenty loud for my needs and it is very light.  So that filled my party needs.   However, I am still interested in a set of Frazier speakers, mainly to hook up some tube amplifiers to and they will be just sitting in the garage.    So I am looking for something much smaller, but still has a good sound.  I have come across something called a Monte Carlo and it looks like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlDfekrQPzhD-_JA5FZjQe29032e6c5df4e84881d27c6e1ddc45d.jpg

I see they have these unusual ports on the back, so is this a horn loaded cabinet or not?  I have tried to look up some specifications on them, but couldn't really find much out on them.

The fellow is asking $200.  Is that a decent price, or no? Is the speaker decent or should I not even bother?

Thanks

Diaval.

20 hours ago, Diaval said:

Hello John,

I know it has been a while since I have been here last and much as been happening here.   Well, as you probably know already, I never picked up the Dixielanders from Mike, although I did contact him.  The reason being was the weight, then I needed an amplifier as well.   So I ended up buying a mixer/amp/and speaker combo that was plenty loud for my needs and it is very light.  So that filled my party needs.   However, I am still interested in a set of Frazier speakers, mainly to hook up some tube amplifiers to and they will be just sitting in the garage.    So I am looking for something much smaller, but still has a good sound.  I have come across something called a Monte Carlo and it looks like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlDfekrQPzhD-_JA5FZjQe29032e6c5df4e84881d27c6e1ddc45d.jpg

I see they have these unusual ports on the back, so is this a horn loaded cabinet or not?  I have tried to look up some specifications on them, but couldn't really find much out on them.

The fellow is asking $200.  Is that a decent price, or no? Is the speaker decent or should I not even bother?

Thanks

Diaval.

Well I don't know prices but those do look good if that's them. That's a cool older version that bass ports out the rear, later ones had one port out the front. Not a horn, but bass to reflect off a wall for nice fill. For that price I'd expect them to be mint-ish and drivers in great shape. Now they are rarer than most Montes, but most folks never heard of Frazier so Fraziers are usually a bargain vs. their audiophile genre. I'd say the part of the group over yonder that are looking for Fraziers but not adept (or patient) at bargain hunting would pay that price for a nice pair. The other guys would probably shoot for $100.

Yeah those are some nice speakers for the smaller size (considered large bookshelf speakers). Should be around an 8" woofer. Older models like this should have a cone tweeter so they don't don't go real high frequency, assuming you're young enough to still hear that high. Don't handle much power but as with all Fraziers are extremely efficient.

There might be a spec sheet over yonder, and some of them own or have owned this model.

Mike had a wide variety of Fraziers for sale but I don't know what's left. He did have several pairs of Concertos, a couple of models up from Montes. They're kind of end table speakers with their own built-on stands (the ladies love 'em! lol).

On 11/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, John Daggett said:

Hello John,

Nice to talk with you again!  Holding up well during this covid crap?

Well I don't know prices but those do look good if that's them. That's a cool older version that bass ports out the rear, later ones had one port out the front. Not a horn, but bass to reflect off a wall for nice fill. For that price I'd expect them to be mint-ish and drivers in great shape. Now they are rarer than most Montes, but most folks never heard of Frazier so Fraziers are usually a bargain vs. their audiophile genre. I'd say the part of the group over yonder that are looking for Fraziers but not adept (or patient) at bargain hunting would pay that price for a nice pair. The other guys would probably shoot for $100.

No, those are the exact ones, but the same models.  They look to have the original drivers in them and they are rated for 20 watts each.  They are fairly nice looking but do have some scuffs and minor chips here and there.  I would think for garage speakers, they would be good, but I have not heard them.  I was just wondering if it would warrant the trip and/or would be worth the price.

As it is, I had allotted about $300 - $400 to get the Dixielanders, but I was a bit worried about their weight at 70lbs each.  The powered speaker I mentioned cost me $180 and is 200watts.  It definitely fits the outdoor party application well and it is LIGHT!  It weighs under 30lbs.   The other application I wanted for the Dixielanders would be for the garage, but at their size and weight, to have them for that purpose alone would be WAY overkill.    I managed to dig up an old Technics receiver that is about 30 wpc and I figured I could use a really efficient pair of speakers on that and it should be plenty loud.  So once again...I was turning to Frazier.   The Mighty Midget would be too small, but then I saw the Monte Carlo and with it's 8" woofer, it looked to be something that could rip, roar and rumble on that receiver.

Yeah those are some nice speakers for the smaller size (considered large bookshelf speakers). Should be around an 8" woofer. Older models like this should have a cone tweeter so they don't don't go real high frequency, assuming you're young enough to still hear that high. Don't handle much power but as with all Fraziers are extremely efficient.

I could stick a old Frazier horn in there, but it may not be necessary.  But no, I am an older fellow and my hearing doesn't go much passed 16khz anymore.  I could barely hear the 15khz tone from tube TV's anymore and as a teen, well into my 30's, I could easily hear that.

There might be a spec sheet over yonder, and some of them own or have owned this model.

Yeah, I can't find anything on it on-line.

Mike had a wide variety of Fraziers for sale but I don't know what's left. He did have several pairs of Concertos, a couple of models up from Montes. They're kind of end table speakers with their own built-on stands (the ladies love 'em! lol).

That does look like an interesting speaker and I found the specs on it.   30watts and it goes down to 35hz too.  Hmmm, I guess for around a bill or two,  I would rather go that route.   You think Mike might have a couple left?  I have to see where I put his number or if I saved the PM you sent me.

I don't even need a perfect looking cabinet as they are going to go in the garage on a shelf.

Thank you for getting back to me and if I don't hear from you soon, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

D

22 hours ago, Diaval said:

Hello John,

Nice to talk with you again!  Holding up well during this covid crap?

No, those are the exact ones, but the same models.  They look to have the original drivers in them and they are rated for 20 watts each.  They are fairly nice looking but do have some scuffs and minor chips here and there.  I would think for garage speakers, they would be good, but I have not heard them.  I was just wondering if it would warrant the trip and/or would be worth the price.

As it is, I had allotted about $300 - $400 to get the Dixielanders, but I was a bit worried about their weight at 70lbs each.  The powered speaker I mentioned cost me $180 and is 200watts.  It definitely fits the outdoor party application well and it is LIGHT!  It weighs under 30lbs.   The other application I wanted for the Dixielanders would be for the garage, but at their size and weight, to have them for that purpose alone would be WAY overkill.    I managed to dig up an old Technics receiver that is about 30 wpc and I figured I could use a really efficient pair of speakers on that and it should be plenty loud.  So once again...I was turning to Frazier.   The Mighty Midget would be too small, but then I saw the Monte Carlo and with it's 8" woofer, it looked to be something that could rip, roar and rumble on that receiver.

I could stick a old Frazier horn in there, but it may not be necessary.  But no, I am an older fellow and my hearing doesn't go much passed 16khz anymore.  I could barely hear the 15khz tone from tube TV's anymore and as a teen, well into my 30's, I could easily hear that.

Yeah, I can't find anything on it on-line.

That does look like an interesting speaker and I found the specs on it.   30watts and it goes down to 35hz too.  Hmmm, I guess for around a bill or two,  I would rather go that route.   You think Mike might have a couple left?  I have to see where I put his number or if I saved the PM you sent me.

I don't even need a perfect looking cabinet as they are going to go in the garage on a shelf.

Thank you for getting back to me and if I don't hear from you soon, have a Happy Thanksgiving!

D

2020 sucks, but oh well.

Sounds too high if they're not those mint-ish looking ones.

Well those Montes do sound the right size for a garage shelf, but then you may have a larger shelf than I envision. Now a Mark IV is somewhat in between but still on the larger side, although it is sort of considered a large bookshelf model for some applications (i.e. can be placed vertical or horizontal). Those two are similar in 'model-isms' with both having a 10" woofer and a 3"x7" horn (there may be older variations that used cone tweeters but the horn was the most common). Later they added a Piezo tweeter to the Concerto (still has the horn). And last out versions (D) went to 'modern' dome tweeters but the stuff ended before a whole lot of those were made.

Mike, maybe and who knows what other models as he has, or had a lot of Fraziers. He doesn't have an ad that I know of, he just tends to reply to someone's FB comment when it looks like they are looking for something he has.

Happy T backatcha!

Greetings All,

My name is Kidron. First time posting on the forum as an entry level audio nerd. I recently stumbled upon an auction for a set of 6 Frazier CAT-35s as-is and I'm interested in potentially using them for surround speakers and some music. The downside of the buying format is I don't get to inspect or test them prior to buying. I wasn't able to find a lot of info on these speakers online. Does anyone have any experience with them? At this age should I expect the surrounds to be rotted out? What would you be comfortable paying for the lot, just taking a gamble?

Thanks!

Kidron

cat-35-2.jpeg

cat-35-1.jpeg

I recently acquired a pair of Super Texan’s without drivers or crossovers.  Stock 333-300 horns. (600-15k)  I’m a DIY Audio enthusiast and would like to use these as a foundation for a second system in my room.  I’ve already posted on the Frazier Facebook forum, but so far haven’t had success in finding out what passive crossover Jack Frazier designed for this system?   Does anyone have any information, schematic, photos?  Does anyone here own Super Texans that I could correspond with?  Thanks in advance friends!