Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

>So where can I get a pair of Eleven's? [O]

I searched for over 10 years before I got lucky... In fact, luck is not the right word. The ones I got went on Craigslist about 1300 hrs, somebody queried PMSummer about them, he alerted me, and I jumped on them sight unseen and secured them by 1530. I did not believe it until I was pulling away from the guys house in Arlington with them on the trailer.

There were only about a 100 pairs made and mine (189 and 190) were amongst the last. Adjusting only the currency inflation (not labor or materials), they'd run around 7500.00 dollars today. Got'em NM for 400.00, with a Soundcraftsman PCM800 amp, preamp, and tuner thrown in.

We know of about 3 other pairs. Sevens are basically smaller versions of the Eleven (or vice versa) and turn up on occasion. 8 pair from a theater turned up at once a few months back and went for pennies on the dollar as they were for the lot only and pickup only.

Dave

post-9494-13819419687692_thumb.jpg

Ron (LoneLobo) has a pair in Flower Mound, but he is still working on them. Not sure where he is with that project. He DOES have an excellent pair of Seven's though.

He has a pair of Marantz Model 5 amps with NOSValves for checkout and repair (talk about a bargain, I think he paid about 50.00 for the pair) and I am going to have a rematch of my Eleven system against my Klipschorns sometime in the spring and use them to drive the Elevens. I'll let you know about that if you are interested in coming down. I suspect Oldtimer (Brian) will come as well. You may be able to carpool with one or both of them and I have room for sleepover.

Dave

Well for $175.00 for a pair of Mark IV's ( Frazier biggest selling home model), and a pair of Manhattans 1's or 2's...I'd be on my way to Austin, TX if I didn't live in coastal SC. How can I explain the Frazier line up...Maybe our last two cost sheets will help. I'll try and show them to you. Dave the Mk4 was a GREAT speaker, but for pure sound ( not counting the 11's) better base and mids, and highs the Mark V-D is the best we ever made! Todd

Todd,

Is that price sheet for a pair, or singles?

What's the general concensus on the MK VI's? Aside from the fact that they are incredibly heavy

to move about.

mike

I'm planning to recreate the x 215's. Anyone with pix of the x-15's inners with caps, coils lpots,

crossovers please post them. Also if you can read the specs on the bits, please put them into

text as pix are not always readable.

The 9's were commercial disco ceiling speakers. The Dixielanders were commercial speakers, so not on the home speaker list. The prices are shown per unit, NOT per pair on the price sheets. When we made the SIX it was the top of the line, went from Mark V to the Mark Six, and it was a heavy floor standing system, and was fantastic for it's time. 12" woofer...8" midrange and 3x7 horn tweeter. I gave one to my parents churxh here to use for their organ, but it got gone when they built a new church. I'd love to have it as my center channel....Oh Well... Todd

yep...not many "sixes" around. I love the model SEVEN. That was the first of a natural pair....SEVEN / ELEVEN get it? LMAO We built the F-150-B all along, it was an exponential pretty long throw wooden hf horn without a driver, so installers could use different drivers. It could be ordered for either jbl or altec drivers. I love every speaker we ever made. If I had the room or the dough I'd have a least a pair of everything we made. In our sound room at 1930 Valley View Lane ( the building is still there, minus the Frazier logo), we had a pair of everything in the home line, and a single of everything in the commercial line. The room was "perfect" accousticly...30" long by 20" wide. Hard wall behind the 20" foot wall, drapes on one side wall, and acrss the back, hard ceiling, hard other wall and carpet on the floor. Now can you imaging an X-215-W with a radial horn on one side and an X412-W ( yep 4 12" woofers), and another radial horn on the other side OMG... Bossman claimed he could make people wet their pants, although I never saw him prove that!!!!

there was supposed to be more on that last post but it got lost. anyhoo That's Norman Petty's take on Frazier, in our color brochure. God I stood at Norman's studio's, in front of the mike that Buddy Holly used, and even held one of his guitars...What a thrill...

One more deal. Charlie Pride lived next door to Ray Price in Dallas, in the 70's. Ray had a pair of K-horns, and Charlie wanted something as good as...He and his wife spent days with Jack in our sound room. Believe it or not, he would up with a pair of F124H's on either side of his stereo rig. Claimed they made him sound natural. Now you know 70's country music didn't have the bass that you hear today, but Charlie loved them. I asked Ray when he came here a couple of years ago to do a show if he remembered their friendly deal about their speakers...He said the two of them lit up the neighborhood I can imagine!

Hey Todd,

Strange you should mention Charlie and Ray. I have videotaped them both but they no longer are neighbors. I wish I had known about the Frazier connection then. Both seemed to be great guys. Charlie is still in Dallas and Ray I believe lives west of DFW airport. Charlie's wife was a piece of work and very engaging. I wish I had more time to spend with her. Interestingly, one of Charlie's pride possessions was a console TV given to him by John Wayne. I don't recall seeing any Frazier speakers in his home or studio but then I wasn't as "Frazier" educated at the time I did the interviews.

Yes they were neighbors back in the day...When I talked to Ray a couple of years ago, He said that they had moved to the Tyler area...so I guess e of DFW...Have no idea if Charlie lives in the same house....I've been gone from there since 1983...But do visit some!

Gentlemen

I have a pair of Fraziers I bought in 1966 that have no model numbers, only serial numbers 30434 and 30435. They stand 26" tall, 14 wide, 12 deep, 12" base, two 5" midranges, one 3 x 7 horn tweeter. One of the horns is bad and repair guy said replacement diaphragms are not available. He suggested replacing horns with bullets which I just couldn't do. I managed to win a pair of the horns on ebay this past week and plan on replacing both as the originals were not a matched set. I have a question regarding the crossover. It consists of 2 coils, one has .765 and the other 12.75 written on the tape covering them. There is a gang of 17 caps (3.0 MFD, 50 WVCD) wired in parallel and one lone cap same size in the circuit by itself. Understand that I am electronically challenged as I have no training and only limited self taught experience. I measured the gang circuits and one speaker circuit reads 5.9 and the other 6.4 ohms. But then I'm not sure what I'm really measuring as I think a cap has to be out of the circuit to properly measure ?? Any recommendations what I should do ? I can unwire the whole gang and measure one by one if that's the proper thing to do and what should they read ? Physically they all look great. I would attach photos but I am also challenged in the use of this site and have yet to figure out how to attach. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lane

Congrats on getting the horns. I'd just put'em in and try em. Sounds like an early Mark V, a marvelous speaker, though 1966 sounds a bit early for that. Todd can confirm the model.

Welcome to the group! We have a lot of fun with Klipsch and Fraziers. I have a houseful of both...

Dave

I thank you all for the nice welcome and the responses. I measured the mids from the backside edge to edge of the basket so it makes sense that they are 4's and yes the the slot is on the backside at the bottom. Both units are signed off by "Sammy" on the inside and I was amazed to find the inside of the side walls also a walnut vaneer on plywood not particle board. Any suggestions or ideas about checking the caps while I have these apart ? Anybody know what it means if one set reads 5.9 and the othe 6.4 ? I'm trying to learn what function these parts play and I have a couple of library books that have helped me understand the basics (I think). Caps pass high frequency and stop low frequency, inductors (coils) stop high frequency according to my reading of Martin Collums "High Performance Loudspeakers" book. If only the parts about 2nd, 3rd and 4th order passive crossover, cascaded Butterworth made some sense ! How do you tell if caps are good, bad or otherwise when they are ganged and what difference does it make if one or more are bad ? And if they are bad where do I go for replacements ? I'm an independent financial advisor and with the market chaos I have found great comfort in the "re-awakening" of my Fraziers. I resurrected 2 of my 3 turntables and I'm sitting here listening to vinyl. I haven't listened to "records" in years, what a hoot. Also I have a line on a pair of midgets for $40 or a little less, but one of them has a non Frazier replacement driver in it. Any idea if there are any around ? Again I thank you all for the welcome and the help.

Lane