The Klipsch Audio Community
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

Todd wrote,

"Again, you are looking at a two way x-over, vs a 3 way, and a 12" woofer vs a 10" woofer."

I was thinking that this certainly makes a difference. I do have them tilted a little, possibly 5 degrees.

I really do like these speakers. I beleieve they're keepers.

Tom

Very nice, balanced review, Todd.

In your experience is there anything that suggests my theory that Heresy is the result of PWK learning that small can still be good from Jack's work?

Dave

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if Paul didn't have a pair of Mark IV's or Mark V's in his shop when he built the Heresy. I know we had a pair of K-horns in our sound room when we were building the ELEVEN's.

Todd,

Did you guys ever have a storefront/demo place on Belt Line (or Spring Valley) that did some "competitive comparisons"? Sometime in the mid-'70s.

I know you all wanted to see the inside of my Midget. [;)]

Posted Image

PM, we had two dealers in Dallas, Melody Shops in the mall, and I can't remember the other dealer, but I think they had their main offices near beltline and spring vally, in N. Dallas. They had like 4 store all around the Metroplex in the mid to late 70's, and into the early 80's. Wish I could remember their name. E mail Bill Wadkins Jr, and tell him I said to e-mail him, He might remember what the other dealers name was... bwadkins@sbcglobal.net. Sound something I think, We never had a demo room per sae, although in our building, at 1930 Valley View Lane, ( it's still there, but with no Frazier logo on it), we had our sound room which as 20 x 30 and had two of everything we made for the home market, and one of everything we made for the commercial market, all hooked up and working. Todd

Todd:

I purchased my first pair of Monte Carlo's from the Stereo Center in Texarkana about 1970. I paid around 200.00 for them...for which I could have purchased a car (which I did not have). No brainer for me.

That was a pretty nice little store for a place like Split T. Had Empire TT's, Akai RR, lots of nice stuff. They later carried Klipsch. There is still a store by that name there, but I do not know if it is a direct descendent.

Dave

Dave

Maybe they remember Frazier/Klipsch. We should ask them!!!!! I'm always keeping my eyes opened for deals at yard sales etc. The last deal on Frazier was a pair of Monte Carlo's at a giant yard sale in Hendersonville, NC. I bought them for 10 bucks for the pair, and later sold them on E-bay for about $270.00 as I recall. The only reason I sold them is cause I have a pair of MC D's (dome tweeter) in use as rear channels in my surround system, with Mark V-d's for the fronts.

Todd

>...pair of Monte Carlo's at a giant yard sale in Hendersonville, NC. I
bought them for 10 bucks for the pair, and later sold them on E-bay for
about $270.00 as I recall.

Mein Gott! I'm sitting on a gold mine! I'd love to get a set of the later MC's. I have old and middles, but none with the dome. I recall my originals (which I still have, but pretty beat up and not in service) were quite directional in the high end.

Best keep grabbing any Frazier I guess. Sound like the secret is out. Should have kept my mouth shut... [^o)]

Dave

I thought I was the only one who wanted to look inside a midget...oh well, perversity loves company. Whoohooo!!!

I got my parts in for the Model 7's and am working on them. I have to make the potentiometer mounting boards tomorrow when I have light to see sharp spinning blades.

Curious thing, half my house has been down to the studs for almost 3 years, yet I can always find time to work on speakers. Is anyone on this list a Psychotherapist or a counselor?

I have a proposal. If we (the gathered North Texas Frazier Clan) can track down Mr. Wadkins we should meet him somewhere and buy him a beer or a cup of coffee. Then, if he is willing, we should have a whole list of technical questions, and do a little interview and record it for a Frazier Podcast. What doya think? Todd, do you think he might be willing? And then there's you, of course Mr. Crane. Would you be willing to do the same if we can make arrangements? I just think it would be great to record you both for posterity and the wealth of information you must both have locked up in your heads.

I'd also be happy to offer up the Phogg Phoundation Phorum to all who want to talk Frazier. It would avoid the boredom of those here who are tired of it and perhaps avoid driving up the prices...

The "General" section is open to the world anyway, and I could create a sub forum if there is interest.

Dave

You guys in the N. Tx. chapter might want to call Bill. I'm sure if he's able he'd love to meet with you-all. His phone # I will give to anybody who e-mails me, I won't post it on here. As for myself, I live in Murrells Inlet, SC, and have a place in Hendersonville, NC. A fer piece from N. Tx.,. But I'm willing to give you guys ANY and ALL info i can remember about my days with Jack., and like Bill's phone numnber I'll be glad to give you mine too, but not to post it for all the world to see LOL Todd

Alright, will they be put back together tomorrow? I'm really interested in what you think of them. please post your reflections.

Oh, by the way, I am a registered counselor in the state of Washington. Seeings you're in Texas I won't be able to help you out. If you get up here to Washington we'll talk.

Tom

FYI! Any control that Frazier had are meant to run wide open for flat, and in keeping with Jack's ideas about passive eq, you can only shape the speakers to your room by cutting down on the highs...it's a long story, but one I felt should be passed along.

Well, get ready for chest thumping and general Tarzan-type victory bellowing. Ron has the 7's up and is having a major rush...

Dave

Forgot to post the pix of the offending pots on my Model 7's.

nastypots.jpg

They looked pristine on the outside, but ugly on the inside. Each one has a slightly different malady, but all had the brown crud look.