The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

Well, what you have to take in consideration on the Dixielanders, the woofer is mounted at the back of the cabinet, and there is 5 and 1/2 feet of folded horn, so you can imagine how many pieces of wood there are. AHHH these L100s are going on e-bay...the last pair sold for about 750....Maybe i'll start them at $200.00 not sure till i clean them up. I've already listened to them. Actually, our Mark V was our answer to the L100, yet cheaper, and a little bigger. What I'm really thinking of doing, if I can get away with it in our (my) den, is to take my black box III's , and my Mark V-D's and run them together...I've done that before, and it makes my Luxman Receiver awsome.....and use the L100's for the front's on my surround Receiver, with my Monte's for the rear...I'll play with them before I do anything.

I have yet to hear a combination of Klipsch Heritage and Frazier models that do not sound awesome. These guys were soulmates.

Dave

Never was a JBL fan. All the ones I ever heard had what used to be referred to as the "California" sound. Tight and detailed, used a lot in as reference monitors, but not something I wanted to listen to for very long.

Dave

That's ok. I actually find my Heresy IIs to be very close to the 4311s, except the JBLs have a bit lower bass and aren't as sensitive. They were my first good speakers, although some of the JBL guys say they were some of the worst ones. My younger son has a pair of L46 JBLs at school, and they rock, especially compared to what most kids have in their dorm room (Jay being an exception of course).

OK, now you are challenging LoneLobo. His kitchen is never gonna happen...

That's the spirit! And that's what I want. Perhaps, between LoneLobo and PMSummer, I can get some dimensions to sooth my dementia. I would love to make a 3D exploded view like I did for the LaScala.

I wish you'd asked before Lent. What a great penetential project it would have been!

[;)]

I'll try and pull one out next weekend and start trying to figure it out.

I wish you'd asked before Lent. What a great penetential project it would have been!

Wink

I'll try and pull one out next weekend and start trying to figure it out.

Ron is only across town in Flower Mound. Granted, it's the worst

part of a trip to Texarkana but you ought to drag his rear over there

to help figure it out anyway.

Dave

Wink

Sorry I didn't think about it sooner. I had enough going on in my own life for Lent this year. It doesn't need to be done in a hurry, I just think it would be a worthwhile project. Of course, the easy part it the computer work. Taking one apart and measuring everything is a lost harder.

That must have more folds than I thought, given Todd's comment. Does the woofer fire forward?

Bruce

Dixielander...yes it fires fowrward, and you have 4 and 1/2 folds per side in the cabinet. I had a fellow that I sold a Super Texan when I was at Key Electronics in 1959, He took it all apart and made a second one. It took him about 6 months, and think about 6 1/2 fold per side, and a 7 and 1/2' folded horn. But it was damn close. Well, I decided to couple my $20.00 L100's with my Mark V's and ring out my Luxman. muted the basketball game, and got out my gold edition cd of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon...WOW is all I can say. Jack loved to use the original Harvest disc of Dark Side of the Moon, and He would only play "Time", and as soon as they started singing, He'd cut it off...PWK and JAF were a PAIR of wild and crazy guys!!!!

>"...PWK and JAF were a PAIR of wild and crazy guys!!!!"

I have an idea of what the "A" stood for. [6]

Todd, what can you recall about the system design of the Eleven? I recall that it had two 2-way series crossover with something about an overlap involved. Does that mean the 12" and two mids interconnected running parallel to the 15" and two mids in similar hookup? The claim of 107dB implies that the above was the case to the effect of having 4 systems running together in two cabinets.

Thanks for your Frazier insight.

David F

David, you are right on the mark with the two crossovers. woofer to stacked mids..and woofer to stacked mids... the piezo's of course are direct coupled. So you have two two/way systems which means less distortion, and more UMPH..... And, if you look at the massive size of the cabinet and the massive size of the tuning slots...and if you corner load it, it will knock your socks off. We used to take a $10.00 transistor radio and power them at CES shows back in the day.....Todd

Thought you guys might be interested in Model 11 guts, so here's a few for you to examine and ponder.

Model11_wideback.jpg

I notice there is corrosion on the lower woofer and you can see a debris field on the insulation below it. I did not notice this when I opened the other speaker and will have to investigate.

And here's the date of manufacture. These are #3 & 4. Kai has #5 & 6 and has been trying to sell them on Ebay for the last couple of months for a fraction of what they are worth. Hope they eventually go to someone who will appreciate them.

Model11_date.jpg

Ok, I've listened quite a bit to the resurrected Sevens and can post some more comments. I was initially a little concerned about the bass being a bit mushy. That was a mistake as I just happened to start with a few lps that just couldn't test them to their limits. Since then I have listened to several good organ pieces, a ton of jazz, some blues and some rock. My ears heard a peculiar shrillness that I wasn't expecting that seems to have completely settled down after about 30 hours of play. There's no doubt that they are extremely well balanced. I guess I was somehow expecting the classic California sounding speaker. They are not that. After being satisfied that the shrillness is a thing of the past and that the bass was maybe acceptable, I started to think that maybe they could be a little more transparent. I switched to my cheap Sony 5 disc CD player and punched play and went down the hall to my office to do a little work The first disc that was cycled was Michael Hedges "Aerial Boundries". I had turned up the volume to be able to hear down the hall easier. After 2 cuts I couldn't stand it anymore. There was something going on in the bedroom that I couldn't miss. I walked back in and just stood there in amazement...transparency in spades, and nice tight bass punching me in the chest. So I had a hunch about something that my next selection verified. I just recently got a copy of "Swing into Spring", a 1959 Benny Goodman lp that Texaco distributed that is a compilation of a bunch of different recording and concert sessions. Different engineers/setups/etc. for almost every cut. Sure enough, some cuts were pure magic...I mean they take your breath away. And some cuts are just lifeless compared to the better cuts. They are shrill with no bass and no guts. Now mind you that all the cuts are basically the same group of musicians. Just different engineers and locations. MY CONCLUSION: These Model 7's are absolutely accurate...feed em cr*p and you will definately hear cr*p. They are very unforgiving of the source material....Cool! That's the best thing so far about the 7's. I am already starting to hear the shortcomings of my temporary system. As far as imaging is concerned, these speakers are placed about as poorly as one could place them in a cluttered environment, so I will have to defer judgement on that as there's just not enough room to move them around. Can't wait to listen to them on tubes. I have a pair of Marantz Model 5's up at NOS in line for the pool. Now I need to come up with a good preamp for their eventual return to Texas. Hopefully I'll have time to sell the closet full of vintage SS I have to pay for something really nice. And have time to get the Model 11's back to original specs with a recap and cleanup (hoping that is all it will take). I also need to make a couple of new cabinets for my $20 Cornwalls. And recap my Heresy's. And mod a few turntables I have in the closet...I just started working on a Grace 707 arm. and I have another SME arm that I need to replace some parts on. They are all in boxes somewhere. I definately need a counselor who works cost plus.

>I guess I was somehow expecting the classic California sounding speaker.

WTF you thinking????

Have your tried the TriPath? Should be interesting.

BTW, that soldering on the 11 Xovers doesn't look like factory work. Looks like Dave or worse.

Todd?

Dave

The caps, and the technique, and the solder quality are the same on the 11's as the 7's. Same brand caps, etc. So I assume it is indeed factory work. It's not rocket science and maybe YOU could've had a career at Frazier!!

I have discovered that the low wattage soldering iron I prefer is not hot enough when trying to solder to air core inductors which act like GIANT heat syncs. So now I suppose I need a 2nd soldering iron. It's always something.....

ELEVEN's, Sr. # 3 and 4 were the ORIGINAL set to go into the soundroom at Frazier. SO YOU HAVE A REAL 1st. A guy bought Sr. #'s 1 and 2 through Melody shops in Dallas, and paid extra to get #'s 1 and 2. BTW, whenever the warrenty cards were returned, Jack sent a letter to the owner. Sr. # 5 and 6 went to Hauer Music Co., in Dayton OH. WOW if I had the room, or a way to get them here I'd have 5 and 6 but.... I'll be happy with what I have now, that is till I find more deals at yard sales LOL.

Hey I was with Jack for almost 13 years, and sold Frazier's for another 3 years, and probably one of the finest moment I've ever had with Jack, was with our commercial/home dealer in Clovis NM, Norman Petty. Norman had a pair of 7's and Things in his control room, and a pair of 11's for his studio monitors. and two of everything we made in his showroom, which was a small church converted. If the name Norman Petty doesn't ring a bell, I'll explain. In the 50's Norman and his wife Vi had some pretty good hits as the Norman Petty Trio. He recorded for Top Rank, and Columbia. He was our dealer in his later years, but his real claim to fame was He recorded and backed Buddy Holly and The Crickets. They had no bread, so Norman said, list me as a co-author of the songs you write and I will record you and promote you for nothing. Well needless to say, until Holly went to NYC as a solo, he stayed with Petty. I've stood at the microphones where Buddy Holly recorded all his hits, held his guitar, and even played Vi's harpsichord that was prominent on "Everyday". Norman gave me a 5 disc album titled The Buddy Holly Story, that contains everything Buddy ever did. This was originally issued from Decca LTD in England, and the first run was only 500 sets. Mine was autograhped by Norman and it said, Todd There really was a Buddy Holly, There really is A Clovis New Mexico, Thanks for being a fan, Norman Petty. Well needless to say, the disc's have been played twice. Once to put them on tape in 1980, and once to burn them to cd's a couple of years ago. After i burned them to cd, I sent the set to The Buddy Holly Museum in Lubbock, Tx. I'm hoping next Feb., that my wife and I will travel there to see if they are using it., if not I'd like it back to give it to the Norman Petty Museum. Anyway when we get finished in Lubbock, we'll head to Dallas to see my cousin, and maybe a couple of us can get together, and then on to San Antonio for the rodeo. Ok That's my rambling for the time being. Oh by the way, Petty had many hits with many artists over the years, not just Holly. Todd

Excellent story, Todd. Norman's recording talent stuns me. There is nothing else from the 50's with the presence in his work. I have a double LP MCA 2-4184 that I consider one of the finest ever issued, Buddy Holly "Legend." It is downright spooky and I get a sense of being right in the room with Buddy and the band. The presense is palpable.

Norman is a legend to me and his work something to strive to emulate.

Do you ever run across Things? I've seen more 11's for sale than Things...

Dave