The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

DAve we might have made 10 to 15 pair of THINGS. They were pretty honky with that Dixielander horn built in for mid range. They honest not very good, and we dropped them after less than a year. I know I got the run of both Norman's studio's and his showroom. He was a great guy, and He told me he was in the process of writing a book to set the records straight. You know when they did the movie, they never mentioned Him, and in a couple of pbs specials they showed him as the bad guy. I've got that stuff burned on DVD if anybody wants copies. He told me that a lot of studio's got their money by doing just what he did, way back in the day. Think about all the one hit wonders...you know? Normans big studio was the downtown Clovis movie house. It was just AWSOME to be there. I miss him. He died before he wrote the book. Todd

Hey PM,

Do you have any literature or specs for the Model 7? In addition to the specs, I'm trying to find out what kind of grills they came with originally. If they are the foam, I will have to think hard about going that way. I have found a source that will cut new foam grills including bevels, crosshatching and other designs. A bit pricey for an ugly grill, but nice to know they are there if you need them. I apologize in advance if you've posted this previously...I looked but didn't find them. TIA.

Hey Todd,

Definately keep me abreast of your travel plans to Big D. I would love to pick your brain and buy you a beverage of your choice. You are a wealth of fascinating information. Thanks for all your responses to our ignorance.

Ron,

I'll try and remember to post the Model Seven sheet when I get home. I believe they came with foam at first (like yours), and then the black pantyhose stretched over a mdf frame (like my late MkVs and Monte Carlo Ds).

And here's the date of manufacture. These are #3 & 4. Kai has #5 & 6 and has been trying to sell them on Ebay for the last couple of months for a fraction of what they are worth. Hope they eventually go to someone who will appreciate them.

Model11_date.jpg

Ron, did you have a birthday party yesterday for the Elevens?

>...and he told me he was in the process of writing a book to set the records straight.

For anyone with ears, his recordings set the record straight. As for the rest, who cares. His work is transcendent in an epochal era. I have Sun 78's (including Elvis) and Phillips was not remotely in Norman's class. When I say "Awesome," I am not saying "given the technology available," I am saying AWESOME.

Dave

Yes, and Greg Gonzales built them. The finish workers took it upon themselves to inital every cabinet, in case something went wrong with one, they'd know who did it and they could correct...Pretty cool I thought. Now The SEVEN's first had a foam grille it came in black, brown, or burnt orange. Then came the stretchy stuff LOL. If your SEVENS have pieces of velcro stapled on the front panel, they had foam grilles. If they had pegs, then they had a snap on grille. Hey am I seeing more Frazier activity on the Klipsch web site HO HO HO. Todd

Hey PM,

Do you have any literature or specs for the Model 7? In addition to the specs, I'm trying to find out what kind of grills they came with originally. If they are the foam, I will have to think hard about going that way. I have found a source that will cut new foam grills including bevels, crosshatching and other designs. A bit pricey for an ugly grill, but nice to know they are there if you need them. I apologize in advance if you've posted this previously...I looked but didn't find them. TIA.

Posted Image

Hey Kai!

I never gave any thought to the astral meanings of the Serial Numbers of your Elevens, but you have a point. I just hope you are able to keep them as I think you really do appreciate them. I was thinking about how nice they would be at my church just this weekend. Don't know why that thought came to me...it just did.

Thanks PM. Your generosity of time is greatly appreciated.

Hey PM,

sevenda5.jpg

to finish my story about Norman Petty. He moved into the only theatre in town when it closed down in the mid 60's, and while he used the old studio some, most of his stuff was done in the movie theathre with as he say's perfect accoustics including a natural reverb. It was in 1979 that he started using all the Frazier's...al la 7's, thungs and 11's, untill his death in 1985 at ONLY 57. Jack, by the way lived to be 83+, and suffered a fatal heart attack on his way to DFW airport to pick up our rep from Hawaii. He pulled over to the side of the road, and gave it up. What a way to go!!!!!!!

well, acording to the web site of Norman Petty, there are tours avalible, but you have to request them a month in advance. Now I don't know if that includes the movie theater, and the original studio and the NorVaJak publishing house. But, when we go to Lubbock in Feb, we'll go to Clovis also. We'll see...

Well, I see there are a pair of early SEVEN's on e-Bay. The interesting thing about this pair, they have the 3x7 horn tweeters. If you go to e-bay and check them out notice the placement of the two horns. They are placed so that you'll get great high end disperal reguardless of the speaker placement, upright or on their side. I honestly thought this was the best of the three versions of the model SEVEN we ever made. I see the foam grilles are gone, as well as the stands that came with them. But the starting price is great...I'd buy them but I can't drive to Chicago to pick them up LOL.

Todd,

They Also have a TWO INCH WATER LINE across the Bottom. I emailed the seller, but have not heard back concerning this........

Hi Todd,

I saw these too and am drooling over the horns. What were the three versions and in what order were they made? I'm assuming my 7's were later models as they mimic my model 11's in tweeter compliment.

They have what "appears" to be a water line, but the particle board has not expanded as you would expect from extended exposure to moisture. A curious phenomenum, no?