Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

tom b. 57

Your La Fiesta's look great!

I have had this pair of Monte Carlo A's for about a year, but haven't really
done anything with them. The cabinets were very dry and stained, with
scratches, dings and one crunched corner. But the veneer is still well
attached, the grill cloth looks great and the speakers have both badges.
They sounded really good when I tested them out in the garage, but
they never really made it into the main rotation.

Earlier today, I assembled some collected parts to complete a mate for
my orphaned EV Sentry 100A. My orphan had been pulling center channel
duty in the home theater system. While it sounded good, I had to
constantly adjust the center channel level because of the big mismatch
with it's sound and the rest of the speakers.

Once I finished the EV, I played the pair of them together all morning
and was very impressed by their sound. However, they are ugly as sin,
so they came down and the Epi A120 went back in. But, I didn't want to
put the EVs back to center channel duty.

So, the EVs went into the closet and I cleaned and oiled the Fraziers. I
had tried one of the cabinets once before as the center channel, but
because it is so efficient, it overpowered all of the other speakers.
This time, I wired both Fraziers in series for the center channel and
voila! it sounds really great and balanced. The dialog cuts through
clear as a bell. And, they look so much better! Now, I just have to do
something about veneering that sub.

Pre Oil Treatment

Pre Oil Treatment #2

Post+Oil+Treatment+Small.JPG

Center Channel

Center Channel Closeup

Does anyone (Todd/Summer/Dave) have any idea what model these are? Pre or Post Jack? My curiousity got the best of me when I saw their size and the (4) ports. They appear to be about 30 x 30 x 14 deep or thereabouts. If anyone knows, please let the rest of use know also. Thanks!

%3Ctable%20style=

657_IMG_1146.JPG

Does anyone (Todd/Summer/Dave) have any idea what model these are? Pre or Post Jack? My curiousity got the best of me when I saw their size and the (4) ports. They appear to be about 30 x 30 x 14 deep or thereabouts. If anyone knows, please let the rest of use know also. Thanks!

%3Ctable%20style=

657_IMG_1146.JPG

Those are JW Davis Fraziers. No relation to Jack Frazier other than: A) the name, B) made in Dallas. JW Davis bought the name.

Heads up, Jersey City

Sorry, not JC... May's Landing

(Minimike you might have been looking for something like this?)

Listed as:

UNPOWERED ENCLOSURE

USED FRASIER F124H 300W 12X4HX4T SPKR ENCL (PR) @8

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?location=826

However, Appears to actually be F-12-44 MODEL NINE's

As per Todd's post: 2008/10/31 4:16 AM

Tempting, but the basement is full for me...

They are something I'd like to have, but with the travel distance and price, I'm gonna pass. If I could get my brother in law to

collect them for me and get the pair for $200, I'd do it.

I like to wait for these things to come to me at a real deal price as I don't really need them, or anything for that matter.

Heads up, Jersey City

Sorry, not JC... May's Landing

(Minimike you might have been looking for something like this?)

Listed as:

UNPOWERED ENCLOSURE

USED FRASIER F124H 300W 12X4HX4T SPKR ENCL (PR) @8

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?location=826

However, Appears to actually be F-12-44 MODEL NINE's

As per Todd's post: 2008/10/31 4:16 AM

Tempting, but the basement is full for me...

The F12-4H is a fascinating speaker. I've got a pair in my office, and they are some of my favorites. I drove 400 miles in the snow to get mine. Even I thought I was nuts.

I finally got around to cleaning the L-pads on my Mark V's and swapped them out with the Mark IV's. I have to say, they sure look alot better with sound going through them! I certainly have no complaints with the Mark IV's, but these old Mark V's have incredibly smooth bass and very balanced mids and highs. They seem to excel at every genre I put to them so far. Lots of fun!

I finally got around to cleaning the L-pads on my Mark V's and swapped them out with the Mark IV's. I have to say, they sure look alot better with sound going through them! I certainly have no complaints with the Mark IV's, but these old Mark V's have incredibly smooth bass and very balanced mids and highs. They seem to excel at every genre I put to them so far. Lots of fun!

Bill, I've got my Mk Vs sitting with some AR-3a (the Big Dogs of vintage bookshelves) and Yamaha NS-1000M speakers (considered by many to be about the best big bookshelf speaker ever made), driven with a MAC-4100 . While I prefer the sound of the Yamahas overall, it's not by much. I play the ARs for nostalgia, or when I want that way-laid-back sound. But the Mk Vs I can play anytime, and they are WAY more efficient than either the ARs (power hogs) or the Yamahas (typical acoustic suspension inefficiency).

I play the ARs for nostalgia, or when I want that way-laid-back sound.

How the heck do you get "laid back sound" out of speakers that require a small power plant to crank? My recollection is that they never sounded good except at high levels unless you had a very active loudness contour involved.

Dave

I play the ARs for nostalgia, or when I want that way-laid-back sound.

How the heck do you get "laid back sound" out of speakers that require a small power plant to crank? My recollection is that they never sounded good except at high levels unless you had a very active loudness contour involved.

Dave

Interestingly, the guy who sold me the Dixielanders has a pair of ARs that he was hesitating to sell because he really liked the sound -- even better than the Dixielanders, I guess. (It's that old good sound is in the ears of the beholder thing.)

Speaking of efficiency, I see where the Dixielanders are rated at 104 db/w -- if that's for real it'll only take a poof of power to get them cranking (haven't hooked them up yet). Efficiency seems to be a Frazier thing.

To you tech minded folks who know:

What makes the Frazier so efficient? Is it the thinness of a voice coil?, something to do with the crossovers?

Wondering why an EV speaker can take 300 watts, and a similar Frazier with an EV driver might take only 60 W.

I love the Frazier lineup and sound, and not complaining. Just want more knowledge.

To you tech minded folks who know:

What makes the Frazier so efficient? Is it the thinness of a voice coil?, something to do with the crossovers?

Wondering why an EV speaker can take 300 watts, and a similar Frazier with an EV driver might take only 60 W.

I love the Frazier lineup and sound, and not complaining. Just want more knowledge.

I can't get too techie, but do know that basically speaking it's about the horns -- in the nutshell, they have low distortion and are more efficient for an amplifier to drive.

I only know of two-way Frazier designs. For those, mimimal crossover components help quite a bit.

Excellent magnets, including the alloys used, pole piece design, minimizing the voice coil gap.

Probably the key, though, are the superior cabinet designs for low and mid bass, combined with excellent horns, make the biggest difference.

What is sacrificed is space. Most Fraziers are very large by todays standards, especially when compared to modern speakers in the same niche.

Mike it's the cabinets...the tunning slots, the folded horn(commercial) AND if a Mar V would take 250 watts before it cooked itself, we'd rate them at 50 watts....Jack was way too conservative. We did up the power ratings in the last couple of years.

• Like 1