The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
tom b. 57

Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G.

Todd, I thought the design changed just a bit on the later/last versions. Am I wrong?

These two have very subtle differences, and they are both from the late '50s/early '60s. For all practical purposes, they are interchangeable. Your sample is silver, as I believe were the later versions.

Looking at yours, Todd, I see that it is different from the two examples I have. Is that the last version?

All I can tell you is that is the same logo that was there when I got there in 1971, and the same when I left in 1983. This pair came off my Mark V-D's, circa 1983! Thinking back, the logo has always been the same size...Sorry about my camera, this is a GOLDTONE logo, They've always been gold as far back as I can remember even in the late 50's when I was selling Frazier retail at Key Electronics in Arlington Va. Todd

Thanks, Todd! As you can see, all the characters are "beefier" on yours, but the logo is basically the same... almost like it gained weight as it got older ("Who are you lookin' at?"). That weight gain might be mimicked by the casting process, so my duplicates will be closer to the later models (presuming I can pull this off).

Now, Ron... you got a loose "spare" badge so I don't hafta risk breaking mine pulling one off? [:D]

The electrician at the college where I work has used the Smoot-on plastics to make all kinds of parts for the college. Replica pieces for light fixtures, plastic electrical boxs for lines no longer made. He has made some incredible molds to do some of his work. He is no longer there, but his handiwork remains.

They have different hardnesses and some with metal in them, that can be polished. I thought some of the bronze would make cool emblems.

http://www.smooth-on.com/liqplas.htm

The Frazier emblems should be a piece of cake.

Bruce

It's really too bad that the new Frazier doesn't use the same logo's. They are dips. I tried to give them some facts about Jack that they had wrong on their web site. They basicly told me to take a hike. Jerks. LOL

OK, Todd, can you ID these speakers? They look kinda like Manhattans/Black Boxes with a Piezo tweeter.

PM... they are black box II's...the piezo is an add-on! The BB I's had a cone, and the II's the 3x7 horn.

Todd:
My first thought was "COOL." Second was "WHY?" The box is as big as a Mark IV. The raison d'etre for this eludes me...

Dave

Dave, Fraizer was in the commercial field LONG before home hi fi. We had a dealer/sound contractor in Rosylyn, LI, NY who we built black boxes for back in the early 50's. His name was Sid Zimet. Audio by Zimet. He carried Dynaco kits, that he wired himself, and Frazier Black Boxes for home use, usually built in a wall. Then Jack in the mid 50's started to produce finished product for the home hi fi market. The MarkIC came WAY after the black boxes. Even in the early 80's we were still building 50 pair of BB's for Zimet a month. That's why the BB's were always there. Now MOST audio dealers could not buy the black boxes. But that's the story about why the black boxes and the mark's series two different product lines. Todd

Dave, I've got to tell you, A Frazier Black Box II will blow a Mark IV right out of the water. To tell you the truth, That BB II is probably the best speaker we ever made...Honest. I used to have a pair of them bolted together on each side with formica over the top and down the sides with grille cloth. OMG..I could rattle the windowns with my 20 watt per side Heath amp back in 1961. And an interesting sidebar about Sid Zimet. At the heighth of the DISCO craze, we (Frazier) had 7 out of the top 10 disc's in NYC. Can you imagine four X215 woofers weighing 400 lbs a piece pumping 40 HZ bass at studio 54? It was something!!!

Take your word for it (Vas YOU dare, Charlie?).

It still doesn't make sense. Looks like an 8" woofer and the same horn as the Mark IV in a Helmholtz box of about Mark IV or slight larger.

Maybe some magic with that size Helmholtz?

Dave

Dave, for what it's worth, that dual Helmholtz sounds good. I prefer the sound of my Monte Carlos with the dual slots as opposed to the newer single-slot.

Dave we used the same tweeter in everything we made, most of the time. The Black Box was WAY before the Mark IV, and yes the black box had about 1/3 more volume, with dual modified helmholtz resonators, therefore way better bass than the mark IV even with a 10" woofer, where the bb had an 8. hope this makes a little bit of sense.

Yes sir, it makes perfect sense. But why not a 10" woof?

Dave

BTW - This one looks like a project worth building! RON?

Dave 'cause when Jack started out EVERYTHING was an 8" woofer, al la...Jr. Dixielanders, Dixielanders, Texans, Black box 1's and 2's....He felt that all you needed was an 8" woofer, and with the commercial folded horns, and the modified Helmholtz tuning slots he was right! He went to 10's and 12's when he got lots of feedback from dealers and reps. But I still think that the black box II was an awesome loudspeaker!!!!

OK, anybody get us some measurements on that magic box? Doesn't look like the 157 cuts or whatever for a Dixielander. I've got extra MC's that would not be a bit hurt by having their drivers serve in an expanded role.

Dave

OMG an honest to goodness Frazier/May DIVA on sale for another day on e-bay. I've never seen one, but it looks interesting. Check out the pictures. I'd love to get it and build a second one....Todd