WARPED LP GRRRRR!!

Gilbert

Bought a 1994 sealed LP that ended up being warpped. While resting on the platter, the warped area raises approximately 3/8". Bugs the crap out of me. Is there a fix, or should I just trash it and get another? It's not an super expensive Lp, it's Nirvana's Unplugged MTV gig. Yea, yea .... it seems to play fine, but still bugs me.

If possible, I would just get another.

While I suspect you will get many suggestions, I know of no method that will 'relax' the higher mass body of the record that will not also relax the MUCH lower mass of the encoded grooves as well.

You may very well 're-warp' the record body, but what is the value of the encode information to you? I defy anyone to warp the body of the record without also modifying the grooves as well.

Depending upon the nature of the warp - a record clamp may help to mitigate it...

Gilbert:

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try. I've been pondering this off and on for a while 'cause I've got an old Spencer Davis Group LP that was one of my favorites until someone used it to level a slide projector - with predictable results.

Anyway, I was thinking - stick the album back in it's sleeve and place the whole thing between two sheets of quarter inch thick glass and leave it in the sun for a couple of hours then let it cool before removing the glass. The combination of heat and the weight of the glass might do the trick - 'course I never got around to trying it. Don't know if I even can find the album any more....

James

Give it up, discard it ............. That is why I dumped vinyl, the 80's was full of warped records, off center holes, and when you returned them, and got another copy, it was the same or worse ....... chalk it up as a loss ....... there is nothing you can do ...... or, maybe put a quarter on your head shell !!!

the 80's was full of warped records, off center holes, and when you returned them, and got another copy, it was the same or worse ....

Buc, I couldn't agree more! Seriously!

And I would add small dimples and little rectangular chunks of vinyl filler much like grog in clay to that list!

I had friends in Cats Records and we would open up to a dozen copies of a title and inspect them - it wasn't an isolated pressing - it was the entire run.

There is a technique involving a barely warmed (think pre-heated and OFF) oven and two sheets of 1/4 TEMPERED glass. I don't know to what degree the grooves would be warped. I used this a couple of times back in the 70's but can't recall the results. I think the LP was playable but can't comment on the quality- I wasn't as picky back then.

***EXPERIMENT: If over 18 you may try the glass sandwich approach, but in a microwave oven instead. If the waves are not yielding temperatures suitable after a couple of minutes on this non organic material(s) spray Pam on the issue to act as a catalyst for heat induction.

This is my more modern approach over the old oven, which yielded less than desirable results.

Back then clamps was too profound for my processes! Clamps = Genius, IMHO !

Cut off a piece of a Chevy crankshaft and tape it to the tone arm. (this is supposed to be funny) Cut holes in the turntable and hook up several vacuum pumps with a 12" pipe and seal-bearing to the turntable with a 5 hp motor hooked to it and when the record hits the platter you will hear this stupendous clunk sound as the record goes perfectly flat. (this is also supposed to be funny). Vinyl is very particular about being cooled properly to prevent warping. This problem is strictly a production process whereby the guy with the cigar says "crank it up". Gee, I thought those expensive turntables and cartridges were supposed to track that crap.

JJK

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot about this post, and remembered when I played the record earlier this morning.... The sound truly is superb, and when I look the other way it doesn't bother me at all (magic). But the record wasn't too expensive, so I'll get another. If the replacement LP sounds as good or better, then I'll experiment with my slightly warped LP.

mas, I'm gonna find a way man, I'm gonna do it and defy the odds.