OT: Low Cost Stove Recommendation

BLSamuel

Our old Kenmore range needs to be replaced. When we had it repaired just before Christmas our repair guy said it'd probably get through the holidays but wouldn't count on it lasting much longer. One of the brackets or the last bracket for the broiler / pre-heat element had broken and it shifted and shorted out against the metal of the back of the oven. The last couple of weeks the broiler element comes on whenever the oven is on so we figured we'd listen to him rather than put more money into an old worn out stove.

If we could afford it we'd probably get a GE Profile with the smaller oven on top but can't justify that kind of money right now. http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=PB970SMSS&SITEID=GEA On the other hand, the lower oven is pretty low and might be overly difficult to use in a few years. We do have a stainless steel GE Profile dishwasher and have been very happy with it.

Our minimal requirements are a self cleaning oven, black or stainless steel, oven preferably 5 cu ft

Nice features that we can live without are dual sized burners, warming burner, convection oven.

Any recommendations on inexpensive stand alone ranges? Brands to buy or avoid?

Thanks,

Ben

You may scoff at the notion, but the first place ai would check for any replacement appliance it at various 2nd hand/repaired appliance centers. You just may find yourself pleasantly shocked at what you may find! They deal primarily with new units that they receive from dealers that have a very small problem - a timer, thermostat, etc that is easily changed out for a $10-$15 part. (as well as a few units in very good shape). They do not mess with beaters.

And the money you can save is substantial!

Mas makes a good point. We bought a washer and dryer this way and have received many years of service out of them. As for stoves, it sounds like you are talking about a drop in? And electric? What i would avoid are those glass topped models. If the glass breaks it costs as much to fix as a new one again. You have to have perfectly flat bottomed cookware to use on them and cast iron is a no-go. Way too limiting for both technique and cookware for my taste. The other thing I like to see is controls in the front, so you don't have to reach across hot pots and pans to adjust the burners. Some may say this is not safe if you have small children but my son never had a problem, you just have to educate your children! This is an area where consumer reports shines as a resource. If you don't have the yearly buyer's guide, go a bookstore or even the supermarket and look through it for recommendations of specific brands to buy or avoid. Good luck!

From Consumer Rpts

Electric smoothtop - Kenmore 9641 Best rated $750, Best deal - Kenmore 9611 and Maytag mer5725ba (best buys) $550

Electric coiltop Best - Kenmore 9421 $550, (best buys) Hotpoint rb757 $400

Gas - The best rated gas stove is a $500 Hotpoint rgb745weh (72 score). Viking got a 61 score and KitchenAid a 49, Wolf 67. All those are over 4 grand. The 36 inch Thermadore is a 70 score at 5,800. I'd rather have 2 Hotpoints. We love to cook and these results really opened our eyes as to gas stoves. Many of the high end gas stoves look great and cook not so. Ditto for the fridges. Our last glass front sub zero was beautiful. I bought a cheapo from Sears so I could have cold beer. I do LOVE those Thermador gas stoves.

I agree controls on front nice, but not always common. I don't agree on flat tops. We cook up a storm all the time and have no significant issues with scratching. We use cast iron and I admit we are cautious with it, but I'm always more concerned about banging the sink up moreso than the cooktop. You do need some cleaner for the cooktop, I don't know what's in it but it sure works good. I think maybe the newer surfaces are better than many years ago. Plus cleanup is a zillion times easier. Plus if you get a bridged top you can have a very large warm, not hot area. We have both burners and flattop. I'd also suggest while stainless looks nice it's a bugger to keep really shiney.

We just bought another Kenmore fridge for the garage and an Amana deep freeze I had to hunt all over creation for to find a non auto defrost chest freezer with energy star rating. Watch Sears and you can get free delivery, old stuff hauloff and good discounts sometimes. Sorry I got a little off topic. I'm thinking about IKEA kitchen cabinets!

Happy Shopping

I don't agree on flat tops.  We cook up a storm all the time and have no significant issues with scratching.  We use cast iron and I admit we are cautious with it, but I'm always more concerned about banging the sink up moreso than the cooktop.  You do need some cleaner for the cooktop, I don't know what's in it but it sure works good.  I think maybe the newer surfaces are better than many years ago.  Plus cleanup is a zillion times easier. 

I'm with you on glass flat tops. I've used gas, coil electric, and glass electric, and my favorite by far is glass electric. You have to be careful not to drop pots on or scrape them across the surface, but for me the ease of clean-up and good looks make it worth the effort.

I never bothered with special cleaners. Dawn dish soap and water for most clean-up, burned-on food comes off with a razor-scraper followed by a bit of extra-fine polishing compound (the same kind you use to buff-out the paint job on a car) and some elbow-grease. Any streaks left behind clean-up with Windex.

Greg

so maybe I'm the only one to have a bad experience with glass tops? it was at my in-laws that it happened. I swear it wasn't me but who knows how it happened. Maybe i'm old school technique wise but if you cant shake the pan across the burner then it's like wearing ear plugs to listen to music! Popcorn on the stove alone makes it a deal breaker for me. If you cook with only one hand or just use the other hand to keep the pan still then maybe they are ok. Anyway for the original poster, keep in mind your cooking technique when selecting your machine! And choose your pots and pans accordingly, glass tops do need really flat bottoms to work efficiently.

so maybe I'm the only one to have a bad experience with glass tops?

No, you're right; they really do require special care to prevent breakage or scratching.

Anyway for the original poster, keep in mind your cooking technique when selecting your machine!  And choose your pots and pans accordingly, glass tops do need really flat bottoms to work efficiently.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I have an old spaghetti pot with a very unflat bottom, and cannot even bring water to a boil in it on a glass top. But flat bottom pots are not difficult to find nowadays.

Greg

so maybe I'm the only one to have a bad experience with glass tops? it was at my in-laws that it happened. I swear it wasn't me but who knows how it happened. Maybe i'm old school technique wise but if you cant shake the pan across the burner then it's like wearing ear plugs to listen to music! Popcorn on the stove alone makes it a deal breaker for me. If you cook with only one hand or just use the other hand to keep the pan still then maybe they are ok. Anyway for the original poster, keep in mind your cooking technique when selecting your machine! And choose your pots and pans accordingly, glass tops do need really flat bottoms to work efficiently.

I'm with ya there . I hate the smooth top ranges . Gas is the best .

Well I have heard horror stories on the glass top stoves. My BIL had a bad experience with one. My preference is for a gas stove. They are cheaper to operate and I like to be able to see the flame no guessing. We currently own a maytag glass top and we enjoy it. It is easy to clean and visually appealing. The one thing I noticed the first time we used the oven was that it did not heat up the house like our old stove did. The only regret is the burner configuration we chose.

I forgot to include that smooth (glass top) was one of the requirements. I've used both though mostly gas but my mother growing up and now my wife also prefers electric. Thanks for all the great info so far.

I don't think we have any cast iron cookware. I've been thinking of getting a cast iron skillet and learn to blacken fish but I'd need to do that outside anyway due to the excessive smoke as we just have a standard range hood.

I have a gas range, with controls on the front. Old school, but it works for me. It is what my wife wanted as well. I like being able to see how the heat is set and knowing that as soon as you turn off the gas, the heat dies down very quickly. All my pots and pans are Saladmaster Stainless. I do have a cast iron skillet, used for cornbread, but I can put about anything on my stove with no problem.

I've been thinking of getting a cast iron skillet and learn to blacken fish but I'd need to do that outside anyway due to the excessive smoke as we just have a standard range hood.

Two things we do outside are using the deep fryer and exactly as you say, fish or funky smelling/smoking stuff. I bought a two open burner type cooker (hotplate thing) at Walgreens for 15 bucks. It will boil or blacken anything.

Not that anyone asked, but check out the knives at Sams Club. Stainless with white handles, ditto for their spatulas and stuff. And they have great pans. We really never use cast iron much anymore, except for some really nice small ramekins or a few similar individual cook and serve things. Cast iron is heavy and a bit of a pain to clean. It's nice on an open fire, but there are plenty of other types of pans that hold heat well enough. I'm not trying to beat up on cast iron, I just think you can do everything with other tools that certainly clean easier.

Peek at those big ole frypans at Sams and you will be impressed. The only thing I don't like about them is the handle can slip a bit if you get soap up in there. Not hard to fix that.

so maybe I'm the only one to have a bad experience with glass tops?

Nope!.

I have seen FAR too many glass cook tops damaged in multiple ways - from scratches by grates, and a myriad other mysterious sources. In fact, it is interesteing to see how many of these are sent off by the dealers for damage. Just look in the showrooms for evidence of damage, and inquire with the second hand shops about repairs and problems.

My favorite? That's easy. For a cooktop: gas. And there is nothing like electricity on the cooktop as you turn down the heat and due to its S L O W response, watching whatever it is boil over because the response lag is SO slow. And induction tops are even slower to respond.

And my mom is right. It seems too many kitchen appliances are designed by men who never use them, with minute detailing cracks and crevices that look great on the cover of house beautiful, but which only collect gunk and are impossible to keep clean. A smooth deep well surrounding the sealed burners allowing for easy collection and cleanup of spills is a real plus.

And it is amazing to note how many surface arrangements do not allow for the use of all of the burners without either interferring with each other or obscuring the controls! I would make sure that your stock pots, etc. can all play well together and with the controls.

It seems that I have been perusing the various home improvement centers for a new cooktop myself...and its hard to find one that works well for a reasonable price - as they quickly enter into designerland.

And you will definitely save ALLOT of money if you can use a slide in or drop in over separates. The price differential is absurd.

A gas cooktop and an electric convection oven (or two) is sure nice. And I must admit to really missing the separate gas broilers that were so common in the 60's that have seemingly been replaced by microwaves. They sure made BBQing and grilling in the off season an easy and nice treat.

Good luck! I think you would do well to check the second hand shops and retail stores with a copy of Consumer's Reports - and may I suggest that you resist buying to impress the neighbors and instead get the most functional appliance for the task - and save that money for more significant things...