Sub placement

tbirdsc

Hello I have an odd question my wife would like me to hide the sub (sub-10) I have a closet in the rear of the room and would like to put the sub in there. What I would like to do is put the sub in the closet and have a grill in the wall in the living room. I was thinking of building an enclosure around the sub and place it in backwards so the port faces the LR and I can remove the grill to make adjustments. Any ideas good or bad facing it the other way any better? How big of an opening would I be looking at so it sounds good? [:D] Am I completely nuts

Thanks in advance

Brad

yes...

[;)]

If only they worked that way...then you you could just place your entire system in the closet and not have to be bothered with any of it being in the way in the room - or better yet, just leave it in it's box at the dealer's store and still receive the optimal benefit of it.

OK, I'm am being just a tad facetious, but the simple answer is no, that is not a good solution, and as to whether or not you are nuts...well...I think your intentions are good...

Unfortunately, unless you employ and IB sub, they tend to need to be in the same acoustic space.

[:P]

A bit more seriously, does she mean when it is not in use, or ALL of the time?

• Moderators

Here is a trick I heard about. Place your sub where your primary listening spot is. I'm not sure if you move the couch or chair and put the sub there on the floor or if you can just place the sub in your primary chair. My guess is place it on the floor. Then crawl around the room on the floor until you hear the best bass response. That is the place you want to place your sub to have the most bass at your primary listening position. I guess it is reverse acoustics.

The SW location looks good to me ...

you dont think maybe i should put in the center of the room facing the listening area?

Sure symmetry is good.

But first we are dealing with a wife who wants if gone, and now we are suddenly asing for optimal placement in the room..

Dare I ask what happened between the first post and now? [:P]

With corner placement you get the larget amount of rom gain, although you may have greater stimulus of room modes - so there is a potential tradeoff.

Symmetry is very important, as while LFs diffract easily around small surfaces giving rise to the misnomer that L, being 'omni-directional' ar not localizable - which is NOT necessarily true, especially in a small acoustic space where there is sufficient direct to ambient signal... But it is funny how a very conditional attribute can take on an air of absolute irrefutability...

So, yes, you have choices.

You must deal with aesthetics (and perhaps a wife [;)] - we'll keep an eye out for future episodes of "Without a Trace"), as well as room modes - in particular, the location of the nulls and issues such as localization. And your point is well taken. Although I personally feel that ideally there should be stereo subs - one for each front channel colocated there, in the absence of this, a centrally situated sub does improve imaging.

But do you have space 'under' the front shelves? I rather had the idea that they were a hutch format (my weird assumption) - but if they are open (do not think about putting them inside some enclosure!) you might wsant to try that spot as well.

Here is a trick I heard about. Place your sub where your primary listening spot is. I'm not sure if you move the couch or chair and put the sub there on the floor or if you can just place the sub in your primary chair. My guess is place it on the floor. Then crawl around the room on the floor until you hear the best bass response. That is the place you want to place your sub to have the most bass at your primary listening position. I guess it is reverse acoustics.

I would put it in the listening area FACING the tv correct? Then crawl on the floor to find the sweetspot?

I just got off the phone with michael colter. I talked to him about crossover frequencies and sub placement. I now have my sub up front on the right side of the tv. I also bumped it up from 0db to +6db. On the receiver I bumped it up to +6db there also. I also changed from PUNCH setting to DEPTH. Sounded strong. I also cut my RF62s at 60hz, and my RC62 at 60hz. I will tinker with 80hz on both in a bit. I need some good material to test this stuff out on. Does anyone know some good action scenes with good bass output? I have a ton of movies. thanks

Dare I ask what happened between the first post and now? Stick out tongue

I think I got hijacked [:D]

My wife would like it out of the room completly which is what gave me the idea. I have a rear projection 48" TV and custom made shelves on either side and that takes up that wall the fronts are on the shelves and there is no room under there might be room next to it but I was storing the old sub there and it drove her nuts (not that she wasnt there already) all the equipment is in the back next to the couch and there is an end table on the other side. when I get home I will take a pic and show the layout

Thanks for the responses

Brad

• Moderators

Unfortunately, sometimes we have to compromise to keep the WAF. I would much rather sleep next to my wife than with my RF-83's [:P] so it's best to try and keep them happy. If you have a long enough sub cable, try moving the sub to the rear of the room to see how it sounds. Not sure placing it inside a wall/closet with the port facing into the room would sound right. Can you try it out without having to cut anything? Like a temporary setup to see how it sounds?

Dare I ask what happened between the first post and now? Stick out tongueI think I got hijacked Big Smile

sorry man. I just placed my sub in the front of the room facing out. the left and right sides of the room get the most bass. I cranked the sub up a little to +6db. I cranked the subwoofer level up to +6db on the receiver also. It feels like there is enough bass now in action scenes.

My wife would like it out of the room completly which is what gave me the idea. I have a rear projection 48" TV and custom made shelves on either side and that takes up that wall the fronts are on the shelves and there is no room under there might be room next to it but I was storing the old sub there and it drove her nuts (not that she wasnt there already) all the equipment is in the back next to the couch and there is an end table on the other side. when I get home I will take a pic and show the layout

Seriously, what do women have against being able to see speakers?? Its not like you're going to have people over and hope to god that no one notices your subwoofer in the corner. Most people realize that a subwoofer is part of a surround sound system.

She would rather it not be out in the open and I kinda agree but I used to do car stereos and made sure everything was hidden. All the equipment is next to the couch so you cant see it when watching tv. I talked her into squeezing it into the corner I had to rearange a couple things but I got it to fit. The first thing she said when I pluged it in "boy that blue light is annoying" LOL I cant win.

Thanks for your help the closet idea would have been nice but oh well

Brad

• Moderators

The first thing she said when I pluged it in "boy that blue light is annoying" LOL I cant win.

Put a piece of masking tape over it. [:D]

That's ok. My daughter had her tiny boombox CD player going in the living room and my wife went in and turned the volume down on my receiver. She can't tell the difference in the sound of a $40 cd player and my RF-83's. Most women will never get it.