Promedia 2.1 Speaker wire set

dnoble

I have heard good things about Mr. Clean's wires as well. I know for a fact that there is probably no one more qualified in this forum for Control Pod repair than him, which I am sure with my 4 sets of Promedia's, I will utilize his services soon. [:D] I know that we can both agree that no matter who's wires you choose, either pair will be a definate upgrade from the stock wires that come with your systems. I believe (for the money) there are no better computer speakers out there that even come close to the imaging, detail, and low end response that these promedias can provide. I really believe in the Klipsch product and anything I can do to help someone enjoy their promedias even more is the reason I make these wires. I do my best to produce a quality alternative for the customers that do not want to make their own wires or spend too much on other pre-made wires.

I wish everyone in here a safe, healthy, and happy holiday season!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn. I would've gladly ordered from you, but trust me you'll be getting more orders in the near future.

I'm gonna convert my friends to using Klipsch systems. I think it's about time we grow up from our Logitech systems. I myself is a convert coming from a Logitech Z2200/2300, and these win hands down, no contest. For $50 brand new in box and after rebates, I can't complain.

When my brother comes over, I'll have him take a listen.

Whered you get the klipsch for $50? You think it will see that kind of price again? Im thinking about buying a set for my little sis.

Hell yeah, I'm been trying to get me a set of Promedias 2.1 for a while, for $50, that's a steal. Please let us know where exactly you found them. I don't want to go down that Logitech road, but I've got gift cards from BestBuy for my B-day and looks like I'll end up buying those if I can't get the Promedias at a decent price. Does anybody know if there is a Coupon Code floating around for Promedia 2.1? My brother bought me the iGroove dock for my graduation and I've been so pleased with it since, get so many compliments from family/friends on how sweet it sounds for it's size, I'm sure the promedias are going to sound just as good.

I wound up buying the Promedia 2.1's from Dealtree on Ebay, I also purchased the 2.0 Ultras refurbished from Klipsch. The 2.1's were broken when I went to picked them up, but they exchanged the plug for free when I visited their Irvine,CA office. I think I paid a total of $90 for both sets.

Mr Clean, Im interested in purchasing a set of your 16 gauge wires for the 2.1 as well as have a DIN plug repair done. You can email me at ZUCK02@aol.com. Thanks Rich

• 2 weeks later...

What is the deal?!? I just found out that now the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's do not have removable speaker wire? The customer is stuck with the crap wire that comes with them? Geez, at least if Klipsch is going to make it so that the customer can not upgrade their systems, they should provide them with good quality wires in the first place. As a side note, I also noticed that the icon series speakers that are at Best Buy do not have a removable lower grille?!? It seems that Klipsch is more interested in cutting corners these days than making a quality product. It's a complete shame.. I know that these days, the bottom line is of utter importance, but you would be surprised at how many people will pay up for a good quality product..

?action=view&current=untitled.jpg

klipsch speaker

Yeah, this is one of the worse I ideas I have ever heard of klipsch doing, I ran into this issue about 2 weeks ago, I sold a pair of nice speakers wires to a customer and he had one of these new setups and wrote back to me saying that the wires on his computer speakers do not come out, I was like "?!?!?!" and he sent me a picture of what he had s well, and I have to say, Shame on you for this idea Klipsch, as Truck Guy said, if you are going to stick your customers with built in speaker wires, atleast make them good ones, you know for a fact that the stock wires are not good enough, otherwise, why would you offer the monster cable brand on your site! Very Upsetting!

• Moderators

I just found out that now the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's do not have removable speaker wire?

I want to make sure I understand... The speaker wire does not even come
out of the speaker
? I don't believe we did this, as far as I know. Our wires for the 2.1 are still open end on one side and mini-plug connection on the other. I'll try to find out more Monday.

As a side note, I also noticed that the icon series speakers that are at Best Buy do not have a removable lower grille?!? It seems that Klipsch is more interested in cutting corners these days than making a quality product.

Yes, the Icon V series lower grilles are not removable. They are absolutely a quality product in their price point -- we always strive to be "best in class" for every category, even the Value products. If you like removable grilles, we have them in the Icon W and Icon X series, as well as Reference, Synergy, Palladium, Heritage, etc..

Thanks!

Hey Amy, I came across the same thing that truckguygmc23 did with a customers set of speakers, his were brand new too, I believe his were dated Oct 08' and I sent him a set of speaker wires that I made for him and then he sent me a picture that looked just like the ones the truckguygmc23 had sent, and the guy I solde the wires to opened the speaker to look inside and he stated that it was a factory job. I certainly hope you are right 5though, because I thought that was a horrible idea. But if it isn't true then I am interested in finding out who is altering them like that and why? And the quality of there work must be very good for someone to think it's original. One other question, I have heard someone say that the DIN plug diagram changed for the 2.1. is there any truth to that? So far I have not scene it for myself but someone had sent me what looked like a pretty good "legit" diagram but was completely differant from what I have. if that was not done by Klipsch then once again someone is putting alot of work into making it look like it was. So please respond and let me/us know what you find out.

Mister_Clean

Hi Amy,

In regards to your question:

I want to make sure I understand... The speaker wire
does not even come out of the speaker
?
I don't believe we did this, as far as I know.
Our wires for the 2.1 are still open end on one side and mini-plug connection on the other. I'll try to find out more Monday.

Yes, the speaker wire does not even come out. There are several customer who said they ordered Promedia Speakers directly from Klipsch and this is how they came. The picture in the above posting is shows that the wire is not removable. Have you found out any new information?

Thanks,

Nick

• Moderators

Hi Nick,

Yes, I was just informed that our QC and engineering department authorized this change, and it was effective with the shipment we received back in November. I'm always the last to know!

This was done because of the problems we have experienced with the mini-jacks on the back of the sats coming loose from the internal connections. This will alleviate any crackling issues this causes.

I'm sorry for the confusion.

What a HORRIBLE idea! and the 1/8 Jacks on these speakers were fine! nothing worng with the factory ones. so what do people do then when they damage their wires get damaged? buy new speakers? Come On!!! What is going on over there? I have been a faithful fan of Klipsch for about 15 years now and the more time goes on the less of a fan I becom. I have spent thousands of dollars on Klipsch gear and yet things like this really make me want to reconsider. Someone in the Engineering Department needs to be in line at unemployment for this idea. What about the diagram for the the din plug on the 2.1's, did that change like I have heard? or is it still the same?

I completely agree with Mr. Clean on this issue. There were no problems with the jacks. This is obviously a cost cutting measure. If it were not a cost cutting measure and there truly was a problem with the jacks, then why wouldn't you use quality wires for these "hard wired" satellites instead of the cheap 24 gauge kmart wire?

Also, I know that this might not be the right area in the forums to bring this up but as far as the "entry level" icon speakers not having a full removable grille is unacceptable. This is something I expect from sounddesign or kraco but not Klipsch. Seriously....you made the grille for the horn tweeter removable, why not just make the whole grille removable? I know there were problems in the past with the synergy series grilles and the plastic pins breaking off, then just use a different design. Honestly, people would pay an extra $50 for this feature. I know that this might not be a "big deal" to some, but I am a working man and darn it, I want to be able to see the drivers for the speakers I am purchasing (and not just on a website) if I am going to plop down $1000. Most people that are going to spend that kind of money (myself included) are making an investment in speakers that they can keep for a very long time. Heck, even the promedia satellites have a full removable grille...what's next? Are you guys going to "hard wire" the reference series speakers and make their grilles non-removable? Come'on guys, you are one of the most respected speaker builders in the audio community. Time to get back to basics and start building good quality speakers like you used to do.

Hmmm. 2 years ago I was going to buy a ProMedia 2.1 since it was touted as one of the best PC speakers for music. I held off because of all the DIN connector problems and the huge number of refurb and broken Promedias on Ebay. Now 2 years later it seems like nothing has changed except there's a few vendors fabricating cables and connectors to cash in on Promedia probblems. Can't help but wonder if Klipsch has plans to leave the PC/MP3 market segment to Logitech, Creative and Altec Lansing.

Actually I can say that I wish they didn't have the problems. As far as cashing in on their problems, cables & connectors do not fix problems, they are upgrade accessories. I just make the wires because it is something I enjoy doing and it was a nice option to be able to upgrade your speaker wire if you choose too. The problem now is that the option to upgrade your wires is not available anymore. Even with the small issues, they still are, hands down, the best PC Speakers for music.

• Moderators

Honestly, the change is an upgrade in terms of reliability with nothing to do with cost. There is really no reason to disconnect the wires from the sats, the system is designed to use only it's own sats and wires and they are designed to work best with that amp.

The wire lengths are the same as before and that the changes were made to provide a longer lasting, more reliable system. The change also reduces the effective "mount depth" of the sats because the system no longer has the hard connector body sticking out of the back of the shell. These sats can be hooked to your current system without issue, and you won't notice any difference to the system's sound.

The number of people who have needed to replace the wire simply because of a wire issue is minimal, and usually caused by pets or accidental cutting. Virtually all problems relating to the wire have been a result of the jack in the satellite coming loose from internal components, or the mini-plug itself. This will alleviate that issue.

Thanks!

Feeding Electric signals to speakers is alot like filling a bucket with water, Using a wider/larger garden hose will fill up the bucket more faster and efficiently provided there is enough water pressure, The signal needs to get to the speakers better which is why we make the wires we make, You guys have noted this issue beofre at Klipsch otherwise why would you have offered (and still offer) the Monster Cable brand wires direct from your Website? So now when customer want better wires for their speakers what do you do, have them order new speakers with better wires installed on them? And as far as I know, the 1/8" jacks on the speakers have been perfectly fine, I have only come across a very few, (maybe 3) speaker wires that had an issue with the plug, and that is an easy fix, but now what will have to be done is our customers are going to have to send us their speakers for a wire upgrade, that is crazy, shipping cost both ways, not going to work out very well.

And for the guy that said that we "Vendors" are cashing in on Klipsch's problems, also, not true, the profits for doing the work that we do is very small, especially if you calculate the time we put in on what we do. Now, one more thing, I do love the Klipsch MultiMedia speakers, I have just about every setup they make and most of them are superb and I think that for the money they are still a great multimedia speaker.

Truckguy's customers and my customers have sworn by our cables stating that they have improved the sound quality of their music, so with that in mind before sticking your customers with one wire only for their speakers wouln't you atleast make sure that the wire itself would be an upgrade from the previous?!?! Now, would i take that one fact and tell people not to buy klipsch because of it? No! but I do still very strongly believe that it is a very bad idea! Also, i do not think thattaking 1" off of the the depth of the rear of the speaker by removing a plug isthat positive of a change either. Plus if I recall, the top corner of the speaker will hit the wall before the speaker wire due to the factory angle on the stand/base.

Oh, and to the guy that said Klipsch uses poor parts etc, guess what, I do what I do for many brands, Klipsch is not alone here, you can't fault them for a plug that they use since it is a standard plug and many other manufacturers use the same exact plug. And potenetiometers are easy enough to clean and lube.

I have ranted on enough for now. thanks for letting me vent people.

• Moderators

We offer the Monster Cable upgrade largely for the additional 5 feet of length. When you add more length to the wire, it's always a good idea to upgrade the gauge as well. The stock wires that come with the system are perfectly acceptable.

Please also remember we've sold hundreds of thousands of these units with the old connectors. The new ones are being offered at Klipsch.com only, and likely will not see those massives sales numbers before we overhaul the product completely. There will still be plenty of business for you folks who offer wire upgrades!

I apologize if I offended anyone with my "cash in" comment. Perhaps it would have been better if I stated that the Promedia din connector problems have provided an opportunity for the aftermarket fabricators. My concern is not with the satellite wire, but with the myriad of problems people have reported with the din connector since this system was first introduced years ago. After 7 or 8 years it appears it is still significant and apparently has not been addressed except by the repair industry outside of Klipsch. Din connectors are very common on pc's, communication equipment and other applications. Yet problems with them don't seem near as prevalent as on the Promedia 2.1. The Promedia is "expensive" as PC speakers go. The audio quality is among the very best. But nobody wants to throw away a perfectly good speaker system because of a connector issue. For me, that unrsolved issue had sent me to an alternative brand and now that I'm ready to again look at Klipsch, it appears I will again be looking elsewhere.