Promedia 2.1 Speaker wire set

dnoble

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I have been keeping up with this thread since its start and I must agree with everyone else that this is a bad idea.I love my ProMedia 2.1 system and have raved about them to friends and family .But if this change is permanent, my push for them to get these speakers will cease.

• Moderators

Why this change is so dramatic that you would not recommend these speakers at all, or switch to something you don't think is as good? I understand you cannot upgrade the wires, but the wires that come with the system are perfectly fine. I've been using my same set here at my desk for the past 8 years.

Please tell me, other than not being about to upgrade to longer wire, exactly what the issue is? (I'm not asking in sarcasm, I'm truly interested...I will pass the info along to our product developers).

Thank you!

Why this change is so dramatic that you would not recommend these speakers at all, or switch to something you don't think is as good? I understand you cannot upgrade the wires, but the wires that come with the system are perfectly fine. I've been using my same set here at my desk for the past 8 years.

Please tell me, other than not being about to upgrade to longer wire, exactly what the issue is? (I'm not asking in sarcasm, I'm truly interested...I will pass the info along to our product developers).

Thank you!

Hi Amy,

The wires that come with the system are fine, no doubt, but the option "was" there to make them better. That is the big issue. If someone purchased the promedia system and were happy with the stock wires that came with the system then all is well. If a person purchased the promedia system and wanted to take their system to the next level, they could upgrade if they chose to do so. It's all about choice, which Klipsch is fully aware that people like these choices because they offer wire upgrades on their site. The length of the wire is also the other issue. Quite a few people mount their speakers on a wall or on stands and need more or less length. The thing is, even as small as it was, it was a feature that gave you "choice" and even if some people didn't use it, it was nice to know it was available.

As far as not recommending these speakers to other people, I don't think I would "not" recommend them. They are still very good sounding speakers with the stock wire, they just no longer have the ability to be awesome sounding. Amy, I urge you to get a pair of your Monster Cable wires and hook them up for a week. I would be very surprised if you didn't notice a difference. You might not right out of the box, but after you listen to songs you have listened to before, you will notice the music will have more depth and you might even hear things you hadn't before.

The other factor that comes into play is your name. Klipsch is very well respected and well known for building some of the best speakers around. This mini-jack issue would probably never problem with creative, logitech...etc. Those manufacturers do not build high end speakers. I would bet that 30-40% of the people that own your promedia systems own another Klipsch product. It would be interesting to do a poll on that in this forum. These customers expect a good product and are probably the most demanding customers you have.

I do have to say though, that this forum is probably one of the best around. There are not many forums where you can actually talk to a representative of the company. For that, I applaud you. First rate service all the way and I mean that sincerely. Amy, I want you do know that none of my dissappointment with this issue reflects upon you.

I really do hope that Klipsch will find a way to fix their mini-jack issue and I hope they bring out another 5.1 system. I think you guys got off the bandwagon too soon when you discontinued the 4.1 & 5.1 series.

I feel like I should apoligize. I didnt want to attack Klipsch in any way. These are by far the best 2.1 computer speakers out there. The people I have reccomened them to wanted to have a similar set-up to mine

Quite a few people mount their speakers on a wall or on stands and need more or less length.

I just feel like I have lost some flexibilty. Sorry for any offenses made.

You need thicker gauge wire especially at longer lengths, but even at shorter lengths the thicker wire allows for more efficient flow of current that will inj turn deliver a cleaner sound, especially when you listen to the musice at higher sound levels as alot of people thatbuy klipsch do.

What gauge do you need?

The thickness of a wire's conductive copper bundle is identified by
its American Wire Gauge (AWG, or usually just "gauge") number. The
lower the gauge, the thicker the wire, and the better its capacity to
pass the amplified audio signal. Most speaker wire available on the
market today ranges in thickness from 12 to 16 gauge.

When choosing wire gauge, consider the quality of your components
and speakers, the overall sound quality you're trying to achieve, and
the budget you're working with. Also, keep in mind the distance between
your receiver or amp and your speakers — long wire runs can cause
significant power losses, and thus require thicker cable.

You may want to consider a thicker speaker cable if:

• You're connecting an audiophile-quality music system, or a surround
    sound home theater setup. Thicker wire can help your system deliver
    fine musical detail or the explosive effects of 5.1-channel surround
    sound.
  • You can't avoid long wire runs to your speakers; for
    example, in the case of a wired multi-room system, where you'll likely
    use in-wall speaker wire from room to room. Thicker wire reduces the
    overall resistance, lightening the load on your receiver or amp. This
    can mean not only a difference in sound quality, but also in the
    long-term dependability of your system.

On the other hand, if you're buying a modestly priced system and
trying to keep the overall cost down, or if your speakers are located
relatively close to your receiver, standard 16-gauge wire may be the
way to go. Aside from being less expensive, thinner wire can be easier
to work with if you're routing it along baseboards or door frames.

Other indicators of quality speaker wire

Speaker wire manufacturers consider more than just gauge — better
wire may have higher quality metals that increase conductivity. Some
speaker wire also features special construction and video shielding to
protect your components from interference. To get the best possible
sound from your system, look into these "bonus" characteristics when
you're choosing speaker wire.

OK, here it is "from the Horse's mouth," so to speak.

One of the complaints from customers was a "crackle" from the sat connector.

The change eliminates the connector, and thus the crackle, but there was no cost advantage to doing so. However, we do save money not replacing sats under warranty (and customers who are out of warranty save the cost of replacing their sats) and of course the time spent by customer service -- thereby keeping our overhead costs down. Some people choose to modify their sats to remove the connector. Some people choose to modify them with larger cables but want to keep the connector. These are not things we can control, nor do we recommend doing them, nor do we affirm or deny that the change will make an improvement in the sound. But with a little ingenuity, a cable upgrade can still be accomplished.

As a side note, except for bi-wire/bi-amp binding posts on our high end models, we don't typically give thought to customer field upgrades when designing our products. We design the best product we can for the intended customer at the best possible price.

• 9 years later...

I don't know if anyone will see or reply to this, but does anyone know how I can get ahold of the old Klipsch 2.1 pro media satellite wires this day and age?? I'm looking for the removable set; can't seem to find em anywhere online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys