Klipsch CF 3 Report - Making Epic Series Speakers Sound Better

ka7niq

I am running two vertical KLF20 woofers with an EV DH1A on top with CF3 networks.

In what cabinet?

Right now I have them in factory KLF20 cabinets but plan some mods and or a new cabinet. First mod will be late this spring or this summer when I will block off the vents and fully load the cabinet (sealed) with HD fiberglass. If that gets me where I want to go I will then brace and damp the cabinet leaving them sealed. If not I will move to a larger cabinet but that will have to be later in the fall. Most of the Klipsch cabinets are undersized from a purely performance (bass) point of view but are about as large domestically speaking as most would care for I think. Best regards Moray James.

I am running two vertical KLF20 woofers with an EV DH1A on top with CF3 networks.

In what cabinet?

Right now I have them in factory KLF20 cabinets but plan some mods and or a new cabinet. First mod will be late this spring or this summer when I will block off the vents and fully load the cabinet (sealed) with HD fiberglass. If that gets me where I want to go I will then brace and damp the cabinet leaving them sealed. If not I will move to a larger cabinet but that will have to be later in the fall. Most of the Klipsch cabinets are undersized from a purely performance (bass) point of view but are about as large domestically speaking as most would care for I think. Best regards Moray James.

So, in essence you are using a KLF 20 bottom with CF4 top.

No I am using a pair of KLF20 woofers in the factory cabinets in which the horns have been removed and the horn openings blocked off. I am using longer vents on the cabinets along with an EV DH1A on top fitted with a paper Kalson K-Tube. I am using the DH1A with its 1.4" exit (extender nose cup removed) rather than the standard nominal 2" exit (actually 1.94"), crossover is a modified CF3 network. I have not used the CF3/4 horn for some time now. I do think it is a very good horn though it has very thin walls which need damping but I do consider it to be the "poor mans" K510. I had the CF3 rev 3 woofers but I like the KLF20 tens better and sold the CF3 woofers early on. That about sums it up. Best regards Moray James

• 6 years later...
On 1/18/2022 at 6:21 PM, RichardChiefRitz said:

I have one Klipsch Epic CF3 woofer that is blown. I am looking for a replacment K1030 10W and can't find it in the internet. Do you have any idea where to buy.  Thanks in advance.

Pretty much non-existent anymore unless someone parts out a set....but that's rare, too.  I have a set of CF-3 v1's and have 2 spare HF drivers and a woofer just in case.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, avguytx said:

Blown like voice coil burnt or locked up? Or is it a sound you're hearing? These woofers do have issues with the glue coming undone on the dustcaps, occasionally the surrounds, and also the spider. Is it just noisy? 

There is a tear done on the plastic woofer when I turned on the volume a little louder.

But one of my speaker if I tilt it, both speakers will work. But, if I put the speaker in a vertical position, the woofer will have a good sound and then will cut off also. If I push the other speaker in, it will have a sound but if I removed my fingers from the pushing of the cone, the sound will disappear in few seconds

28 minutes ago, RichardChiefRitz said:

But one of my speaker if I tilt it, both speakers will work. But, if I put the speaker in a vertical position, the woofer will have a good sound and then will cut off also. If I push the other speaker in, it will have a sound but if I removed my fingers from the pushing of the cone, the sound will disappear in few seconds

A picture would be nice as it's hard to know what you mean by that or the severity of it.  Sometimes they can be repaired from the backside with some sort of adhesive but who knows.  That's the bad part about OEM drivers that are unobtainable and these are definitely that.