Microphone quality for home karaoke

dtximages

I have a $99 wireless mic/receiver that I bought from Guitar Center. The receiver is hooked into my Sony ES receiver and I have the Klipsch CF3s as the speakers. the sound is thin and you have to turn the receiver up to like 2oclock to get adaquate sound. I know i know the reciever/speakers werent made for this. but they should still sound good. Would a better mic/receiver be where my difference would be found? any ideas?

Not knowing anything about karaoke receivers (well, ...other than the concept), I suspect that the input sensitivity of the receiver does not match that of the microphone.

You will want to check the receiver input sensitivity and the output of the microphone to check for matching.

Typical microphone output signals are in the millivolt range while line level inputs are typically in the range of 0.5-2V - thus a microphone pre-amp may be necessary to match levels...

Alternately, you may need a mic that has an integrated pre-amp that is designed to match the input sensitivity of the receiver.

Depends on how serious you are. I have never had good luck with units like that. You may want to get a low cost mixing board. It will give you the most MIC options and volume / balancing controols. You may have mic's that need phantom power as well.

My wife, the singer of the family, has several microphones of various quality, none cheap. We have each setup in its own channel on the mixer. Microphones sound different. For example I like condensor mics for recording, Dynamic mics for performing.

JM

The CF replacement drivers are expensive and getting thin in stock. You might want to rethink using them for home karaoke. All it takes is one mic mistake and they'll be goners.

I'd always use a mixing board and compressor/limiter with any karaoke system for system (ear) protection.

Get a real corded mic like Shure SM58 (a classic vocal mic) for about the same $$ and you'll be happier.