Woah!!!... Focal Utopia Be's @ $45,000

Gilbert

It is no different here than anywhere else.

Klipsch Speakers are very expensive to your average person on the street. $2,000 for a pair of RF 83's is quite a bit of money. Heritage are much more.

Its really interesting that anything less than Klipsch is junk but anything more is just a waste of money. And don't forget, $7,000 for Jubilees is completely worth it, but only if you use a $400 amp.

Then there is the old argument, "Man, you spent $XX on that, you could have had (fill in a Klipsch speaker), an amp and a pair of subwoofers, you got ripped off..."

The price of high end components has really gotten out of hand, but if someone wants it and can afford it, who is anyone else to judge? I have an audio buddy with a lot of very expensive speakers, and modest ones too. Out of my price range but its always fun to go over and listen.

I have never heard the JM Lab speakers (and no, they are not K Mart speakers) but the cabinets are supposed to be built like very high end furnature. I'd love to hear a pair.

It is no different here than anywhere else.

Klipsch Speakers are very expensive to your average person on the street. $2,000 for a pair of RF 83's is quite a bit of money. Heritage are much more.

Its really interesting that anything less than Klipsch is junk but anything more is just a waste of money. And don't forget, $7,000 for Jubilees is completely worth it, but only if you use a $400 amp.

That is hysterical. Um, and pretty much right on.

If cost were no object, I would own these at under 40K new or $25K used.

Yes, I have listened to these in addition to B&W high ends (not THE Nautilus), Wilson Grand Slams Alexandrias, etc. I have a good friend at Audio Advice in Raleigh. We disagree on about everything but then again, his speaker cables cost more than my system. He also drives a car worth about a grand. Different things for different people.

post-21879-13819366878992_thumb.jpg

You can spend as much as you want to in "high-end" audio.

For complete ridiculousness, see

http://www.higherfi.com/

I hate to waste dealer's time when I'm kicking tires with no intention of buying, but if they have a showroom then I need to see that place someday. They are only 10 minutes from my house.

You have to admit they have a sense of humor. Check out their misc page.

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_unique/1

The Koetzu Golden Bullet, Killer sound, fastest tracker. [:P]
The Rell Subwoofer is out of control with a FR down to 1hz using a cheap wall wart power supply. [<:o)]

Interesting...I've never heard the Focals, but my guess would have been they are wildly different than the Trios. I HAVE heard the trios as well a several other of the Aventagrds. Hate 'em. My these ears, my Oris horns sounded better and the bass was better integrated. Bear in mind, I got rid of the Oris due to bass integration issues so... In any event, I truly do not see where the money goes with the Avantegards.

Interesting Kev - are you sure it was the Trio's you have heard and not the Duo's? I only ask as your reference to bass integration is spot on for the Duo's (with normal woofers) but for the Trio's - which are horn-loaded I found the integration to be perfect - all the way down to the separate horn loaded subs.

I am not saying they are perfect speakers, however. I did detect a slight learness in the mid-range which might be down to speaker design / room or driving electronics - not sure - but it would be a cause for concern for me were I serious about them.

Gotta say that in this company the Westminsters are a bargain and a half. I have serveral friends with various of the larger Tannoy's (GKF's, Westminsters and a York minster - I think) and they are truely excellent speakers.

Anyway - would have to win the lottery several times to even consider any of this stuff - not the least because I would need a way larger room to accomodate them.

I suppose we could use that money to feed the hungry and clothe the poor... (of course, I say that while listening to my Heritage system, Moondogs and BBX.)

Bruce, I am sympathetic to your comment. At some point one should be embarrassed by this extreme sort of consumption.

There is more to life than buying speakers that cost more than the average annual wage of most Americans.

Good Luck,

-Tom