Vista is getting worse

HarryO

I've never used on OS that has so many updates and patches as this POS system. Vista deserves it's negative image. I wish the Macs weren't so expensive.

Updated wednesday at 3:00am automatically and lost my GeForce Nvidia. Update at 1:00am friday gave it back. I was dragging ghost images like Windows 95 on a P90. Nothing but non-compatability issues with this. My printer was even inconsistent on the color.

Last week I was updating Realtek Audio drivers.

All new HP compatable PC and peripherals.

They're just patching patches.

There's gotta be a better way. What is MS thinking?

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

I love vista

I run vista on my HTPC and it never ran smoother. I also run a nvidia 8600GTS Diamond Plus video card in mine and it has never caused a crash. My HTPC is used to play all of my music and movies whether they are playing from HDD or just poping in a DVD. A properly configured pc for what you want it to do should never have a os problem, its either operator error or bad or poor components.

I am not a novice at this either. I started on home pc's over 25 years ago and have built my own for the last 10. Yeah I have small issues but it has always been hardware failure. I have 4 pc in my house runing anything from straight windows xp up to Vista Ultimate on my HTPC. I will say Macs are great for doing design work as I have used them on and off for years but for the home they are a pain in the you know what and you will never be able to build a great gaming or media pc with apple. Thats MHO and personal experiencem, besides you would spend 3 times as much to get a mac to do what a pc can do.

I am also in the TV business and the Apple vs PC campaign is brilliant but it is designed to get you to do what...Buy a Mac. That's why its not an Apple vs Microsoft ad. PC is very generic and a Mac is a PC too but it runs a different OS. Its all in the preception. If the Microsoft based PC was as bad as they would have you believe we would all own Macs.

This HP is my first factory built PC. I've always built my own. My old PC along with some electronics was fried by a lightening strike 7 or 8 months ago and I had to replace it on the weekend so I bought off the shelf this time.

It's a top of the line HP but I'm not impressed with the Vista on this machine. It may just be the HP components causing me grief with compatibility. Nvidia, Realtek, and Vista security have all been problems.

I disabled all Vista security and went back to AVG, Adaware, and Spybot and it's a lot smoother and faster now. I'm running the XP skins and other than the compatibility issues it's not bad.

I had to buy new camera, scanner/fax/printer when I went to Vista. All were less than a year old and couldn't be used with the Vista OS.

I haven't been happy since day one with this system. It seems every update with Vista makes all the software companies involved update also. Nothing seems as stable as it could be.

I should NOT have to be updating updates from 2 or 3 softwares every week.

I used the Mac in my regular job until I decided to go to work on my own. It was a smooth and stable system with nothing ever problematic with it.

I'm happy and envious for all that are satisfied with Vista.

I'm just not one that's happy with it.

Harry

Scooterdog, do you store all your movies/music locally on your Vista Computer, or do you pull them over a network? That was the biggest shortfall I found with Vista, and what eventually caused me to convert all three of my Vista computers back to XP. One of my computers inexplicably would not connect to my printer, even though all of my others would, and even when I had a good connection mapped out between computers, it would periodically just lose them. I also hated the fact that the windows defender would decide for me which programs were ok to run on the computer. There was no option to choose whether or not I wanted a program to run at startup, I had to wait until Vista decided whether or not it was ok. This was a big inconvenience with my HTPC, which runs PowerStrip at startup. Also, if you are one who makes frequent (or even not-so-frequent) upgrades to your computer, you have to contend with calling Microsoft to re-register your OS because you added a larger hard drive.

Other than that I liked it.

Todd,

Yeah I don't have any problems at all. I rip all of my dvd's and cd's to a dedicated 750gig sata enternal hdd. When I installed this drive never had to call MS to re-register the OS. I generally DL all of my files on my home office pc which runs xp. I then just cut them from the folder and shoot them (via wireless) to my htpc network folder. From there I just move them into the specific folders on the big 750gig hdd. Never have a problem at all. We have 4 pc in the house and the only one that is hardwired to my router is my office one. But all the others can be accessed from anyone of them. I can print from any pc in the house as long as my office pc is on. What version of Vista were you running? I have the 32bit vista ultimate on my htpc. The only thing I have had a problem with vista is the fact that the drivers for my XFI Extreme Music sound card. When I DL the new vista drivers from creative they were lacking many of the features that I had with xp, mainly dvd audio playback but that is a creative problem. Thank goodness for a dedicated dvd audio player. I will say I just installed a pioneer blue ray drive and vista has know prob but then all of the components I have installed allowed for playback are in place. I put in an MSI nvidia 8600GTS Diamond Plus video card and powerdvd ultra software and so far so good. It is so strange how one pc can act differently over another. I love vista and how smooth everthing is. Now look I went and jinxed myself.

scooter

I was running Home Premium, which is a step below Ultimate. As I said, I liked it, but my files are mostly kept on a seperate computer, so for instance I have a folder on my main computer \\Main\Movies. Sometimes Vista finds it, sometimes not. Putting videos into the my videos was even worse. I would choose the option for add a folder from a shared folder (or whatever the wording was) and it would not even give me the option to add the \\Main\TvShows folder. I ended up having connect to the folder on the remote computer and add them to the shared folders file. No big deal, but a hassle when I want to quickly add another folder. For me, using Media Center, I don't want to have to look at the back end, I just want to do everything either from my main computer, or via the GUI on the Media Center computer.

The computer that I couldn't connect to the Printer was an inexpensive laptop that came with Vista Home Basic, but still there is no reason that something as basic as connecting to a shared printer would be so difficult. Funny thing was, it would "see" the printer, let me select it, but then it would fail. In hindsight, I probably didn't have the share permissions set up right (another huge complication with Vista), but still...

I really wanted it to work, and I was able to find a workaround for every problem I encountered, but I eventually decided, why waste time with work arounds when it worked perfectly with XP? And believe me it was a painstaking process to go back to XP. I have a couple extra hard drives laying around, but I have a lot of files stored on huge Hard Drives (2 x 750 and 2 x 250) and had to do some creative juggling to get everything back how I wanted it.

And the external HD, I don't see that being a problem with having to re-register, I actually replaced my C-Drive with a new larger C-Drive, so that was why I had to re-register. Still, I have never had to do that with XP.

Ditto!! If you don't mind "patching" and constantly "rigging" different functions Vista is great. Yea right.

Last nights update removed my auto connect and it's moved it to who knows where. I now have to go to my programs to open Explorer. It won't creat a short cut now and I'm having trouble getting it to accept MSN as a homepage to open automatically upon start or re-start. I'm working through administrator user, turned off Vista security again to work with all the patching required to keep this thing running smooth. It runs ok when you get it all patched up but then the next update starts you all over from scratch every now and then.

If it would just do the same thing over and over I could accept it. Just too many different paths to accomplish what should be a simple every day routine.

I mean it works, but it's ridiculous having to keep re-routing to do the normal tasks.

Harry

Vista is suffering the same problem as all MSFT products, code bloat. I went back to XP Pro on this machine, when support expires for XP, this machine will become a Ubuntu machine. XP took a long time to get right, Vista, just more code piled on code. The sick thing is that this is all still based on a design from Carnegie Mellon from a long time ago.

At this point, my Ubuntu machine, an AMD 64 machine with an MSI motherboard is my star, my XP machine still exists because it supports my Nvidia 8500 GT, which Ubuntu is supposed to support now...

Linux is going through thousands of Kernel changes, now the two largest contributors are paid employees of Red Hat. Ubuntu is a really smooth distribution, the French and German governments have both started the transition, the French using Mandrake of course. Linux improves, code bloat is non existent as everybody wants to make the faster, smoother alogorythm.

It usualy takes MSFT about 10 years to get an OS right, When XP is no longer supported I will go to Ubuntu 7.01 (gutsy Gibbon) or the 8.1 beta version. I have gone over the code bloat problems time and time again, now I am just looking for an excuse to dump MSFT altogether. I even have things set up under WINE to run the games I like. Eventually I will go to a game console and use my machine for it's real purpose, streaming audio and video. Linux is way better at memory management and rendering than the MSFT products.

Alsa does a great job with my X-Fi Extreme Audio, connected to a digital IO module, which in turn drives my receiver via SPDIF.

Vista is going to go down as one of the worst OS's ever. One of the problems Scooterdog is that not everyone is Scooterdog. Vista is not a user-friendly OS and 95% of its users are just casual users and not tweakers.

Are Macs really that much more expensive? The entry-level iMac kills for the money.

The only computers I have purchased were laptops

For Desktops, building your own is the best way to go. You get exactly what you want.

I just built a DansGuardian box for a friend for well under $200.

My son just built a fairly decent medium end gaming PC for $350. (Dual Core, 2 Gig Ram, Nvidia card, 200G HD and basic DVD burner) He did pay extra for a colorfull case with all kinds of LED lights all over the place. Kids [8-)]

JM