My New Crown XTi 1000s Are Here!!

BEC

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh, it was Shoney's Big Boy in the South and Midwest, though Bob's is the original, I'm pretty sure.

I believe Shoney's has dropped the Big Boy name now, in order to expand into states where there were other Big Boy franchises.

Strawberry pie was big at the Arkansas Shoney's. They had a pretty good breakfast bar and good soup, too.

Only two Shoney's stores still operating in Arkansas. [:(]

post-11993-13819367028702_thumb.jpg

wow! when i first started reading this thread i thought, it was going to be educational and informative. but in true "don't bother me with the facts, i got my mind made up" fashion, the elementary minds and signs showed up. classic.....from some i expected, from others i learned some things.

hey bob,

please keep posting your data. i am still interested and can wade thru the children, although it can be hard. also, curious, have you ever data'd any fruit?

take care,

roy

I have a serious question for Bob. Please don't laugh at me. YOu measured the noise floor to be very low. OK. My question is "does that include the hiss? I mean would the hiss be in the noise floor?" The reason I ask is that you said you can hear the noise (hiss). Not as bad as I have described but you can hear it. Well......does what you hear agree with the levels you measure, or may there be something else involved?

I have a serious question for Bob. Please don't laugh at me. YOu measured the noise floor to be very low. OK. My question is "does that include the hiss? I mean would the hiss be in the noise floor?" The reason I ask is that you said you can hear the noise (hiss). Not as bad as I have described but you can hear it. Well......does what you hear agree with the levels you measure, or may there be something else involved?

Mark,

The noise floor that I observed (can't say measured because it is below the noise floor of my test equipment) would include any an all noise, hiss, hum or anything else. All I can say about it is that the noise is more than 90 db below 1 watt. That is in my opinion inaudibly low. I have generally considered 60 or so db below 1 watt to be inaudible. I think I have a letter from PWK indicating that he wanted 75 db signal to noise.

Yet, I heard a bit of hiss and my son heard a bit more hiss than I did. Now I have been in this business too long to just accept that there is something I can hear but can't measure. So, must be something wrong with how I am measuring or the noise I heard was from cables or source I had connected before which is not connected now. So where does that leave this problem? I don't know. I have a couple of ideas. The amp is now about 20 feet across the room from where it was when I heard the noise. It is also on a different power circuit. If we ever get past having all this lightening we have had today, I thought I might hook up a pair of 104 db tweeters directly to the Crown outputs where it is now. Caution: Don't try this at home. It may cost you a pair of tweeter diaphagms.

Bob Crites

Bob, I think I understand you just said that what you and Mike hear is not what you measured. In other words that the noise measurement indicates there is no audible noise..........but you hear noise clearly. I'll wait to hear more because I am interested in this.

Mark,

I have a scope or two. Just don't know where they are right now with the stuff in the shop just piled up during the re-construction project.

By the way, did you look at the high resolution frequency response of the Crown that I posted.

Bob

Well love it or hate it this does appear to be one of the more mysterious amps on the market.

It measures well, it measures badly.

The DSP is/is not a problem.

It sounds great/dreadful.

???

Good news for Crown - it seems we are all going to have to buy one to decide for ourselves....

Looks like +/- .5dB out to 25kHz ,which is better than the stated spec of +/- 1dB. The reason the plot looks like that is because is hasn't been smoothed.

In way over my head - but didn't Mark measure at 200 wpc as opposed to this which is at 1 watt(?)

So this is an SS amp that measures better at low output than at high output - eureka? Time to throw them tube amps out of the window.

Sometimes in electronics you have to consider the "Voodoo Factor". Noise is one of those and can be traced to many sources---flourescent lights, AC power sources, grounding, amplifier component, ham operators, weather radars, military radars, unbalanced connections, cosmic rays, cell phone laying on table near speaker, power mower running, snowblower running, old car running, attic fan running, AC unit running, electronic furnace filter, air from furnace blower through register, tube tv high voltage circuit, computer fan running, some object having noise transposed by acoustical voodoo factors to the tweeter. But most likely the noise floor of the amp itself, especially dealing with these hugely small increments, one SS component being .0000000001% noisier than the other.

JJK