My RF-7 journey summed up and done.

frankphess

MY RF-7 journey… I started with RF-7’s because they were the king of the reference line at the time. I’ve lived with them for better of for worse for more than a few years now. While I enjoyed each combination and learned a lot along the way, I always knew there was room for improvement. But now, I’m finally satisfied. At present it’s really 2 systems using the same 2 front RF-7’s. Below are the different components I’ve tried.. My pre/pro/amplifier progression with RF-7’s: 1- Sony 110w AVR- first foray into Klipsch, bought full 5.1 RF-7 line. Crank it! Awesome!2- Replaced RF-7/RC-7 networks (by Dean). Highs not so harsh, smoother response.3- Added room treatments. Reduced room reflections.4- Sony AVR w/ Anthem MCA 20 – pretty nice, first try with 200W SS, MCA series is warm, not as detailed as B&K.5- Bottlehead Foreplay w/ Anthem MCA20 – first try with a tube pre, noticeable improvement in detail.6- Sony DA50ES AVR w/ B&K 220M monos – great with movies, DVD concerts7- JM Peach (LoZ) w/ B&K 220M monos – Great for 2 channel, lived with this combo for quite some time.8- JM Peach w/ XXXX 100w tube monos – XXXX’s couldn’t handle the impedance or amps needed restoring, just didn’t sound very good with the 7’s, IMO. Truly disappointed. Ditched the XXXX’s. (Popular manufacturer’s name withheld to protect the innocent.) Current system: 9- B&K Ref 50 S2 w/ B&K 220M monos – nice pre/pro, can turn 2 channel stereo music into 5 channel surround, can crank out some high SPL’s, when I feel like letting it fly!10- JM Peach (Hi mode & CCA in V1) w/ VRD ST-35 w/ 350B tubes – Ultra Linear on 4 ohm tap – Finally, what I’ve been looking for. Handles the 7’s easily, sound is effortless and comes from a dead silent black backround with a wide soundstage and precise imaging. I enjoy the B&K Combo with subwoofer for music videos in 5.1, and I absolutely LOVE the Peach/VRD combo for long 2-channel listening sessions. If anyone is interested in hearing either combo, shoot me an e-mail. Frank.p.hess@sargentlundy.com – South Chicago suburbs

Nice set-up!

I went through a ton of stuff with mine including running them with a Yamaha RX-Z1. Now I use that as a pre/pro and bought some vintage Yamaha M-80 amps that push 260 watts per channel. Those babies REALLY smoothed out the responce and can handle the impedance dips.

I now have mine set-up in a very bad room, but am married to this room until we move.

It's funny how much tweaking it takes to get the RF-7's to really shine.

I know what your saying! I also setup my stock Blueberry and VRD's with my DeanG'd RF-7's and never heard the 7's sound so good. Problem for me is that I also have Cornwalls and Khorns which also sound awesome with the setup! Still have some experimenting to do before I decide on the final configuration.

- PB

Top Notch! that is until the next change.

I would never say never, however I'll be starting on a second system upstairs that I anticipate will require most of my attention. I will need to go with a smaller speaker than the RF-7 due to space constraints. (thinking Palladium bookshelfs possibly, with ????, but 2 channel only, no theater.) Any suggestions????

Besides, you get to listen to Craig on the phone. :)

I've spoken with Craig once (when I received the amplifier from Allan Songer) to ask some basic questions regarding the use of other tubes with this amplifier, and of course he was very helpful. Other than that, I have had no reason to bother Craig. His amp has been maintenance free, and not one lick of trouble.

Who say's tubes are high maintenance????

post-13790-13819367035896_thumb.jpg

Frank--

Interesting progression there for sure. It would seem that the "CCa" is now the universally accepted "cat's meow" for the Peach V1 silo. May I ask, is your Peach with Hovlands, or AuriCaps?

This is one of the "first" Peaches I believe, as I purchased this unit from Dean Wescott. So I guess it would have Hovelands? It has the teal faceplate and a maple case. I'd post pictures, but am unable to post pictures for some reason.

I know what your saying! I also setup my stock Blueberry and VRD's with my DeanG'd RF-7's and never heard the 7's sound so good. Problem for me is that I also have Cornwalls and Khorns which also sound awesome with the setup! Still have some experimenting to do before I decide on the final configuration.

- PB

Great thread on the journey.

This would be maddening! Too many speakers can be a bad thing. Just look what it has done to Colter's hair.