TT mat discussion long overdue

reduces vinyl/stylus feedback and eliminates lateral slippage, while drawing static electricity away from the record. Unique qualities allow the vinyl to "give" slightly, microscopically, to stylus contact, allowing the record groove to be tracked smoothly and accurately. Completely non-tacky, records lift right off the mat, while the underlying foam sticks firmly to the platter (records can be lifted off while the platter is turning).

Oh yes I totally believe all that.

Of course I guess it depends on how good your factory was from the beginning.

I was thinking no more than $500.00 for a mat and then a couple of hundred for some special Sharpies to color the edges of my cds and then a hundred or so for lead pellets to put in the corners of my room. What do you think? Maybe that will be enough or am I missing something?

No...the lead pellets are for the legs of the equipment rack. You need the magic pebbles for the corners.

BTW Herbie's does reduce static electricity and holds the record in place. Does much better than the felt mat that came with the table.

Gee the herbie mat is only 59 bucks.

Pretty low cost

Puts those mega hundreds of dollars isolation blocks far more into the snake oil category.

Plus my mat being over 15 years old had hardened and increased in durometer not offering much damping (if damping is a good thing).

Let us be a bit open minded.

I was thinking no more than $500.00 for a mat and then a couple of hundred for some special Sharpies to color the edges of my cds and then a hundred or so for lead pellets to put in the corners of my room. What do you think? Maybe that will be enough or am I missing something?

Don't forget the special quantum tunneling, free radical ion alignment and spurious RF rejection removal crystals. [;)]You cannot live without them. Trust me, I'm with the goverment and am here to help you......[H]

Back to reality (and thanks for the thread start).

My Thorens has a very hard rubber mat with very thin raised areas in only two concentric circles. Seems like the record is left to stand on it's own, ie - supported by these rings but not totally in intimate contact with it. Is this good or bad?

My Technics has fairly soft rubber mat that is pretty flat, I have Dstat felt mat on top of it (although I do not slip cue, perhaps I should remove this?)

I googled mats and found a DIY version that said use Dynamat and cork, stick the two together, trim to the size of your old mat using it as a template. Voila, a mat of two densities that's easy to make and inexpensive. What do you guys think of this?

There are mats made of glass, acrylic, that funny sticky shelf liner material, and carbon fiber!

Question- can someone define 'speed' and 'pace' as it applies to turntable useage? I keep hearing these terms bandied about and assuming that the record is travelling at the correct RPM, what's with the lingo?

Michael,

Just leave your mats alone. Mats are the least of your problems. I tried a $100 sorbothene (sp?) mat on my old VPI TT and returned it after it peeled part of the label off of one of my original Duke Pearson Blue Notes. They are very tacky. Just to rub salt in the wound, I couldn't tell the difference between it and the $2 felt mat that came with the table.[:(]

That table was a POS anyway.