2 JBL's vs. 1 Klipsch

Elite587

Ok, so here's my setup...

Recever: Onkyo TX-SR605, Front Speakers: Klipsch (Synergy) F-3, Rear Surrounds: Advent Pearls

No center speaker, but the F-3's create a very good "Phantom" Center in my opinion. Anyway, my question is would it be better to go with 2 JBL SUB-12's or 1 Klipsch SUB-12? The (Klipsch) SUB-12 is $470, while 2 JBL SUB-12's are only $340. I know the (Klipsch) SUB-12 is supposed to be a house-shaking beast, but can it really replace two JBL Subs? Now, you should probably know that I'm 14, so my main concern is volume. That's why I got the F-3's, plus the fact that they were on sale. I once got the volume up to 80 on my onkyo, and that's LOUD! I need bass that can pound pretty hard. A lot more time is spent listening to music than watching movies. Probably something like 80/20. I always have music playing. My music is mostly alternative/pop/rock, not a lot of rap. I would like musical tight bass and I don't know whether 1 or 2 sub's would be better for that. One last thing, in our home theater, we have an M&K V75 MKII sub, and i could always just steal that. Thanks for your help and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum elite. You have a much better system than I had at 14. I have neither listened to the Klipsch Sub 12 nor the JBL Sub 12 but my guess is that 2 JBL Sub 12's will put out more SPL (Sound Pressure Level) than 1 Klipsch Sub 12 due to the fact that they have twice the surface area to move air with. Usually, you can generate louder volume by adding subs vs adding more power to a sub.

Personally, I have never been a fan of JBL subs. When we had them at Circuit City, they were muddy and boomy sounding and frankly would bottom out. The Velodyne that we carried that had similar wattage amp and same size woofer walked all over the JBL.

My guess is that the Klipsch Sub 12 will produce cleaner, more accurate bass than the JBL Sub 12 but if you are only looking for maximum bass output, I think the 2 JBL's would be louder.

Do you have the option of listening to either sub to see how each one performs? If not, others here on the forum can share their experience with them.

Having heard both of them, I feel qualified to say that if you're looking for pure volume, the two JBL sub 12s will certainly do the trick. The Klipsch sub12 is a *teensy* bit more refined, but two subs are almost always better than one. almost. You might try out the sub12, find it to be perfectly sufficient and never look back. They will predictably blend a little better with the F3s, as well. With that out of the way, I wanted to make a point to appreciate your perfect spelling and grammar. I know it's dumb, but you type better than 90% of 20 year-olds that I know. Just wanted to point that out....

Elite,

Speaking from the Parental view............you Know were going to tell you to TURN IT DOWN...........my suggestion would be, get just the Klipsch sub for now. That way you have the power of a sub without driving your Parents Nuts..........

Then when you go out into the world you can buy more subs.................and then your Neighbors will yell at you to Turn It Down.

Alright, any opinions on the M&K V75 MKII? It was a $600 sub back in the day, and it's sealed so is probably more musical (tight) than the JBL's. The Klipsch is pretty expensive for me, so I think I'll just bring the M&K into my room and replace it with the sony sub we have sitting in the basement. Can I do any damage to it by playing too loud or do you think it can take it? If anyone owns one, how loud have you played it without breaking it?

• Moderators

From what I can see, it has a 75 watt amp which is much less than the JBL or Klipsch you mentioned. I think I can safely say that it will blow your Sony away for sure. If you can get a free sub, I would do that. If you feel that it isn't quite enough for you, then worry about getting another sub.

Just to clear things up, the M&K is in our "home theater" downstairs, and the sony sub that we had initially used in our home theater is in our basement, collecting dust. I am currently not using a sub. I would never mix Klipsch with something like sony... But yeah I think I'll try the M&K and keep that for a while. At least until we upgrade our home theater, then maybe I'll switch the subs back. I'll try to convince them to buy a Klipsch surround sound system and then I'll end up with a klipsch sub. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum! You will fit in well here.

Take your time, and always listen to what others say in here. You will obviously be the real descision maker, but you will learn a lot what to do and what NOT to do as well. Good luck, and realise your starting younger than most kids in here.. I can only imagine where your gonna be in your 20's 30's and 40's.. hehehehehehe

I can say kid right?

hehehe

Just so you know... At 15 -16 I bought my very 1st Klipsch Heresy. Been hooked since!

Roger..

Guest srobak

I would never mix Klipsch with something like sony...

You have a brilliant future ahead of you in the world of audio :) Welcome aboard. I have a Klipsch Sub12... it will tick your parents off plenty, and keep you more than happy.

I would never mix Klipsch with something like sony...

You have a brilliant future ahead of you in the world of audio :) Welcome aboard. I have a Klipsch Sub12... it will tick your parents off plenty, and keep you more than happy.

This made me laugh... I actually started with a pair of sony tower speakers and a sony stereo receiver.They were for my birthday, and unfortunately for my parents, the setup did not last very long. Not even a year, I think. I know my current setup is nowhere near some of yours, but at least I have real brand names now. I was going to get a pair of paradigm bookshelves, but we picked up the F3's at the BestBuy Good Friday sale. They were actually an impluse buy, but I'm glad we got 'em. Just so everyone knows, I have moved our M&K sub into my room and so far it works really good. So, for now I'm happy with it. Unless of course, someone has a Klipsch sub that they need to get rid of[;)]. K. Later.